Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

North Woods , Illinois
Wisconsin Camping Suggestions

We're looking for some nice wooded or waterview camping in Wisconsin. We have a very old Lab (15 years) that we don't want to leave for to long so we're looking for places that are a maximum of 6 hours from the Chicago area. Don't need pools and shuffleboard, just peace and quiet, with some hiking and biking. We'll also need places with full hook ups this time around.

Thanks!
laynlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Camping in Wisconsin

Door County, Wisconsin should easily be within your 6 hour travel limitations. There are nice campgrounds in Fish Creek, Egg Harbor and Washington Island. On our last trip we stayed at Bailey's Harbour. While the RV park is not on the water it is just a short walk to lake michigan and several parks where you can launch a kayak or just sit and enjoy the view. Don't forget to attend one of the local "Fish Boils". They are a bit touristy but the food is usually great. Also check out Nor Door Bike shop in Fish Creek they sponsor several bike rides through the area including a night ride.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
I'd suggest Elroy, or Wilton, WI. Right on 2 bike trails that I'm sure allow dogs and hiking but please check first. The small park in Wilton had electricity, water, and showers last time I was there. The dump station was a few blocks away.

I'd also guess they are within your driving range.
Elvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
I second the vote for Door County. Peninsula State Park is also great option for camping. For a private Campground, Check out Wagon Trail Campground near Ellison Bay.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Have you looked into either of the Kettle Moraine S.P. units. Chaplain Kent was a campground host at the north unit a few years back IIRC - he might know more.

One of our favorites is Governor Dodge S.P. just north of Dodgeville. Swimming beach (including a separate swim beach at Cox Hollow for dogs!). Nice walking trails. I believe they have a concessionaire who rents canoes at Twin Valley lake. Other attractions in the area: arts community/shops a dozen miles south in Mineral Point (like Galena, IL, but has a much smaller easy-going feel), schedule a tour at Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin about as many miles north of the park. I think Land's End has a company store in Dodgeville. Very pretty area!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
We found Wagon Trails Campground not very dog friendly. Highly rule driven and avidly policed for doggy violations. This can be a good thing, but we found it intrusive. I will not return and I have a very well behaved dog.

We have found the state parks in WI. to be wonderful but electric only. Yellowstone Lake State Park is out of the way and quite pleasant. We love Wyalusing State Park on the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers. Incredible vistas. Another option is finding a full hookup site in Northern IL and exploring the driftless area in SW WI. I recommend the KOA in Lena, IL allowing for a short drive into WI. There is an RV park in Galena, but I haven't explored it yet. Also, the Sycamore RV Park in Sycamore IL is quiet with a lake. I second the Governor Dodge State Park. From any of these parks, there are many attractions and things to do without the water parks and commercial stuff. Only issue with the WI parks is lack of full hook ups. But they are well maintained and lovely.

There are parks near Baraboo with full hook ups, but I have not been there. Too commercial for me.

Good Luck and tell us what you decide to do!
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Wisconsin Camping Suggestions Reply to Thread Wisconsin Camping Suggestions

Greetings laynlow!

My two favorite parks in Southwestern Wisconsin are the Rustic Barn Campground in Kieler (10 minutes to Dubuque, IA or 90 minutes to Madison, WI). It is a clean, quiet park, with nice pull-throughs as well as very heavily shaded back-in sites. I have frequently stayed at the Rustic Barn for a week or more at a time - - it is a wonderful homebase if you like antiquing - - only about 30 minutes to Galena, IL. My other favorite is Lake Joy Campground in Belmnt, WI. Lake Joy is a little off the beaten trail, but is located on a beautiful lake with wooded sites. During the summer, they often have entertainment on the weekends . . .

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
These parks have full hook-ups at some if not all sites and hiking trails. Andrea Kohler and Point Beach State Parks are great and each have a dog beach on Lake Michigan for the dogs to swim. Andrea Kohler is much smaller and park like but you can head over to Kohler Wisconsin and that is a great trip in itself, google the American Club and the restaurants, shopping and factory and design center tours are top notch. Or go the extra hour or so and have plenty of room to roam at Point Beach and do the Maritime museum and the antique Bernstein's chocolate shop in Manitowac and Two Rivers areas.

Another favorite is Governor Dodge State Park with a great bike trail and you can tour the Frank Lloyd Wright house and the popular curiosity House on the Rock nearby.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
If Door County is on your list, it just doesn't get any better than Wagon Trail (near Ellison Bay).
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote