Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2003, 11:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Winter camping - low temps etc.

Hi all,

Am looking at a used airstream trailer around 1980 vintage. Is in very good condition,

Have some questions about winter and low temp camping in an Airstream. I used to have the usual "stick and staple" construction type trailers and found them not too bad in the winter. Have used one in -28 degree temps and the furnace was adequate. However, had to keep both propane bottle open to gether, in use, as there was not enough gas boil off to fuel the furnace.

How are the airstreams in these temps and how effective is the insulation (for summer and winter) compared to the other more traditional trailers.

My experience would say that the airstream is superior in all respects, but I don't yet own one. What are they like for winter rving?

Thx for any answers.

Mariner
1986 F250 T/C 6.9 Diesel, LB,S/C,4x4,Auto
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 09:10 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
mariner,

i have used my '92 dry (no water) down to the mid teens.

very comfortable. be prepared to use alot of propane, as you well know living in the great white north!

condensation is a problem, ice can and will form on the windows. you can leave a vent cracked open during the warmest part of the day. this helps vent the moisture. then you can close up again at night.

if you do plan on having water onboard, make sure you have all the needed things to winterize in a matter of an hour or so. just in case your furnace quits or you run out of propane.

propane, carbon monoxide, and a smoke detector are absolute necessitys for safety's sake!

john
Old 12-12-2003, 09:41 AM   #3
nds
3 Rivet Member

Is there anything that can be done for the purpose of winter camping (heat tape for pipes or additional insulation) that doesn't require elaborate reconstruction?
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 11:51 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I was also looking at the heat tapes and insulation at the hardware store the other day. I don't see why that couldn't be done, it's just a pain to get to all the pipes inside the cupboards - I was particularly worried about the ones that route under the shower pan.

But it would only work while plugged into shore power, isn't that right? 110v doesn't run off battery, at least it doesn't seem to in my trailer.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 03:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

You can't run 120 off of your battery without an inverter. Heat tape is going to consume battery life fairly quickly. How quickly will depend entirely on outside temperatures.

I think you will find that an Airstream is insulated at about the average of most RVs - 2" of fiberglass. Most Airsteams do have insulation in the enclosed belly pan, which many RVs do not.

Possibly the most improvement for the $$ and time spent is to stretch plastic over the inside of the windows and roof vents. It gives you sort of a double pane window, and they are the source of your greatest heat loss.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 08:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Take a look at these for the general issues you're facing:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...7359#post57359

http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=2738

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/ow...epingwarm.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote