Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Nanoose Bay , British Columbia
While we like our GMC 2500HD Duramax diesel very much, it's a 2002 and we are thinking of a replacement. The Ford F-150 with the 3.5l V-6 Ecoboost with max towing package and max payload package has impressive mileage, towing and payload numbers. While you should check these numbers with a dealer, I believe equipped like that it's rated to tow over 12,000 lbs and has a payload limit of over 3,000 lbs. It's something we'll have a long look at when we come to buy, because it's in the neighbourhood of $20K less than replacing our truck with the current model of what we own.
gnijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #62
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Myself I would buy the 5.0 Litre motor but there are many that love the echoboost.
I have the 5.0 and pull a 30' trailer. While sometimes I wish I opted for the ecoboost when going up hill, I have a strong suspicion that engine braking with the 5.0 is better than with the 3.5. I don't mind having to go up a bit slower if I can stay off the brakes longer going down.

(In fairness I'm on the east coast and don't see huge mountains. If/when I do on a consistent basis, I will likely be looking at a 3/4 or 1 ton truck).
Old 10-22-2015, 06:59 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Nanoose Bay , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
I don't mind having to go up a bit slower if I can stay off the brakes longer going down.
I must say I like the descent control offered by the Duramax. It holds speeds well on downhill stretches without me touching the brakes.
gnijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #64
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnijman View Post
I must say I like the descent control offered by the Duramax. It holds speeds well on downhill stretches without me touching the brakes.
I'm sure it does!
Old 10-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Another consideration in buying a tow vehicle is not only what is best, but what can you afford. It is not only the initial price, but tax, license, insurance, loan interest, ongoing maintenance and repair costs.

Although as mentioned above, you may find a well-matched medium duty truck for $20,000 less than heavy duty truck, up front and long term expenses may save you much more than that. Times loan and credit expenses if that is your method of payment.

So unlike the magazine articles or forum advice that simply advise you which vehicle wins the towing match, there is the reality of paying for it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
another great tow vehicle that I see not mentioned,or i missed it, is a paid for one. no need going in the hole further with a "new" truck.

i got a 2003 f-250 SD crew cab Lariat with 7.3L diesel, 168K miles 2wd, with fiberglass bed cover aug of 2014 for 13K.. it sits most days, weeks and i have spend some 1000 bucks on upgrades to engine etc but will have it paid off by mar/ april next year.. insurance in NC for full coverage is $245 for 6 months, taxes and tags are 150 buck a year. Oil changes every 5k or so miles is 100 bucks, 18 qts oil and filter at 10 bucks.. but that is a rotella synthetic 5w40 t5
so a bit more than regular dino oil. it will go with regular maintenance to 500K miles no problem. yes it will be older but I will be richer..

Quote:
Another consideration in buying a tow vehicle is not only what is best, but what can you afford. It is not only the initial price, but tax, license, insurance, loan interest, ongoing maintenance and repair costs.

Although as mentioned above, you may find a well-matched medium duty truck for $20,000 less than heavy duty truck, up front and long term expenses may save you much more than that. Times loan and credit expenses if that is your method of payment.

So unlike the magazine articles or forum advice that simply advise you which vehicle wins the towing match, there is the reality of paying for it.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Why?

Why can't you answer the question challenging your blanket, ill-informed statements dkottum?
Oh...maybe I know why...you have placed all those members that dispute or even begin to challenge your point of view on your "ignore" list so you don't even see their posts.

It's time for one of us to get off of this board. I think it will be me.
Thanks so much for ruining what I thought was a great place to share information, great stories, and camaraderie. For someone that's never contributed a DIME to this boards upkeep, you sure have a way of destroying everyones experience here, trying to peddle your bigoted, ignorant opinions.
I just don't see how you're allowed to continue to post on here. I ran a v-bulletin board for fishing for 14 years. You wouldn't be a member of my board. They would have given you the deep six.

Y'all take care. It'll be awhile for me...
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2015ellen View Post
We use a 2015 Ram, 3500, 4 door diesel. It has no idea our 34' Airstream tri axle is even behind it. It will easily brake and pass anything uphill or down.
except mine
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #69

joliet , Alabama
Hello.
Your truck is probably more than enough to tow that trailer i have seen smaller trucks (volkswagen toareg) tow 27ft trailers with no issues. Get a good sway control system like equalizer or propride i think you will be happy.
Hinojosae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:26 PM   #70
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
This is turning into nonsense.

Every post on this thread has been based on subjective assessments. It was civilized for quite a while, and now it is turning nasty. Anyone who starts to get riled up over an issue like this has a major personality problem. I'd advise the several of you to pull in your little horns for a bit and take a cooler view.

For the original poster, I think you have just about every possible opinion now, and so I'd suggest you might read through carefully and then possibly ask a question or two based on your own subjective assessment of what appeals to you among the kaleidoscope of opinions that have been given. Once you have done that, then I am sure that those who actually have some knowledge that might bear on the questions you are asking, can give civilized and measured advice, without sounding like people in need of marriage counseling!
Old 10-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
It is the same individuals that ruin this forum for everyone.Sad

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #72
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
It is the same individuals that ruin this forum for everyone.Sad

It's just human nature. Say with our old friend Terry:
Humani nihil a me alienum puto

It's still a very good forum, not ruined at all.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:35 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Punch,

Any advice on polishing a new F150?
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:32 AM   #74
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinHatteras View Post
Why can't you answer the question challenging your blanket, ill-informed statements dkottum?
Oh...maybe I know why...you have placed all those members that dispute or even begin to challenge your point of view on your "ignore" list so you don't even see their posts.

It's time for one of us to get off of this board. I think it will be me.
Thanks so much for ruining what I thought was a great place to share information, great stories, and camaraderie. For someone that's never contributed a DIME to this boards upkeep, you sure have a way of destroying everyones experience here, trying to peddle your bigoted, ignorant opinions.
I just don't see how you're allowed to continue to post on here. I ran a v-bulletin board for fishing for 14 years. You wouldn't be a member of my board. They would have given you the deep six.

Y'all take care. It'll be awhile for me...
Too much drama. Many of us have been reading Doug's posts for years now and have found them to be fair, reasonable, and with accurate information. Sure the posts/opinions may differ form others but that's life on a TV discussion forum.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2013 25' Flying Cloud
In the Rockies, 6700' , Colorado
Rivet Popping and Tow Vehicles

In 2013, I pulled a new Airstream with a Tundra for about 20K miles. Popped several rivets over those miles. The folks at the factory told me that if the same rivet pops again, it is probably an issue of how tight the skin is stretched inside the frame. The solution is to add rivets along that section of frame/structure to shorten the spacing in the immediate area. I am pulling the same trailer now with an F350. After 40K miles behind the F350, I have popped only one rivet. Maybe the tow vehicle has less to do with the issue than we might assume.
Minipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:27 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:

None of us have heavy duty or medium duty trucks.
Our 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton pickups are all in the light duty class.
Heavy duty is 18 wheelers at 80,000# GVW.
Medium duty is 26,000-56,000# GVW- dump trucks, garbage trucks, fire trucks, delivery trucks, utility trucks, cable trucks, phone company trucks- like a Ford 450, 550, or 650 or GM 4,500, 5,500, or 6,500.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #77
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
None of this really matters. Back to the question.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:12 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
I'll give it a try. Perhaps the answer is personal. Like "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder ". I am certain that none of us set out to buy the worst tow vehicle, the worst hitch and attach it to arguably the best travel trailer. Like all things, there are pros and cons.....
We all weighed, no pun intended, the options as best we could and made a decision for ourselves.

Sounds preachy.....
with the utmost respect.....Jeffrey
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #79
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Here's the really funny thing: Tracy (dodger1) the original poster, has a total of one post. So she has either gone away aghast or is just sitting back in wonderment while a bunch of people get steadily more hysterical and start yelling at one another. Why don't we all wait and see if Tracy has any more questions for us in light of all the wonderful knowledge that we have been posting on this lengthening thread, and if not, why continue?
Old 10-23-2015, 06:13 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
Here's the really funny thing: Tracy (dodger1) the original poster, has a total of one post. So she has either gone away aghast or is just sitting back in wonderment while a bunch of people get steadily more hysterical and start yelling at one another. Why don't we all wait and see if Tracy has any more questions for us in light of all the wonderful knowledge that we have been posting on this lengthening thread, and if not, why continue?

Well that just sounds too logical!

😃
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote