Old 06-12-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
And, there's some useful advice on the thread Missouri to Moab.

It'll be steaming hot at Arches, Canyonlands and most of southern Utah. But there won't be any steam, it's too dry. It's 20% humidity at my house today and I'm 100 miles east of Utah where it's drier. You won't know you are sweating because it'll evaporate. You'll lose a lot of salt and can get weak and woozy. I used to take salt pills at times, but modern sports drinks have better balanced minerals and electrolytes.

Boondocking is difficult because no A/C. If you are up high enough, it can get into the 50's at night, even lower. It's supposed to be in the upper 80's here next week (but 32˚ tomorrow morning—typical crazy Colorado weather) at 6,837'. Utah is lower, but there are some higher areas—beautiful drive through Boulder, Utah and surrounded by national forest with campgrounds.

If it's too hot for you in Utah, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is cooler than the South Rim by several degrees and Colorado high country is usually cooler than elsewhere around here. Frankly, I'd never go to southern Utah in June-September. It's an oven.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Brian & Donna, your first big road trip with the new Safari! Great.

When you are on I-70, and reach the cut off at Cisco to go to Moab via Utah 128, that road is a beautiful trip along the Colorado River. 18wheelers are not permitted, though nothing about travel trailers. There are some very narrow sections, no guardrails with the river below. We did that road last Fall when there was very little traffic. I wouldn't want to meet a MOHO coming the other way, but at least he can back up easily. The inside lane is right up against the wall of rock. So you are probably right in picking US 191.

Of all the Utah NP's, I love Canyonlands the most. Much of the park is only accessible by 4wd, bike or foot. There many more permits required than when we explored it 20 years ago, but try to see as much as you can. The Maze and the Doll House are wonderful, but only 4wd accessible and a long trip. I'm not sure the east entrance to Zion is ok for trailers (check on Internet). I think most of Zion requires taking the NP bus now just like the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Colorado National Monument is quiet, much like Utah and just south of Grand Junction. I'm unsure whether they have RV camping. The Colorado Welcome Stations on I-70 at Edwards (in the mountains) and Fruita (almost in Utah) have free dump stations. Colorado state parks often have good RV facilities.

We went to Newport last month for a short stay in RI. Now Barb has another state and 3 to go for all 50. Do Airstreams float to Hawaii? Newport was beautiful (all high desert dwellers try to get to the ocean annually) and we found a great restaurant there frequented by the locals, Salvation Café.

Yes Gene our first big road trip!! How about this, because of my broken ankle in March this is our first trip ever in the stream. Crazy huh?! We've done some driveway camping and used all of the systems extensively. We think we have everything packed and we're very excited to leave on Sunday. Thanks for the advise about 128. I think we'll stay off that road. Glad you liked RI and yes Newport is special. Wish us luck cause we're outta here!!

Brian & Donna
08 27' Safari FB SE
03 Avalanche 2500
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote