Old 03-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #771
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, my favorite music of all time; Oh, the memories.
Shut the front door! You mean you were one of those Chippendale guys?

*sweat* *pant* *sweat*

Old 03-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #772
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Here's my take. The V2 was a rocket that was "launched" from a slide in France. The idea was to bomb the Brits. So if one was going to V2 something, like a business, he/she was doing a start up. Now the trickier one that only a FAN would know, is, if you are going to 425 something, what are you going to do?
Aloutte, gentile aloutte, aloutte je te plumerai. Jim
hmmmmm.......you got me, Jim. If it's related to aviation, I can't even ask the co-pilot friend. He's with another fat one somewhere.

Good bomb/business launch analogy, though!

Old 03-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #773
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I know what you mean Jim by 425'n it. I don't think Fly has one???
I don't either as I am a Massey man!

John Deere 425 with all the goodies, the rear PTO, 3 Point Hitch and Mulching Kit already installed. These are great for riding over the horse patties.

Am I on the right Forum?????????????

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Now the trickier one that only a FAN would know, is, if you are going to 425 something, what are you going to do?
Jim
Attached Images

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #774
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Nothing runs like a Deere.....but we're Craftsman folk.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #775
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Have you driven a FORD lately????????? I get to ride it when the granddaughter is not here. and it's all aluminium!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Nothing runs like a Deere.....but we're Craftsman folk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6962.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	208163  
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #776
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The key to the mystery is in the name FLY at night. V2 is pilot lingo for, "going fast enough to get off the ground." V1, V2, Rotate.

Having already achieved V1, FaN is going to fast to coast to a stop in the amount of runway remaining, and will have to actually brake to stop safely. Once V2 is achieved, all that's left is to pull back on the stick (Rotate) and get the wheels off the ground.
Pro,

I assume the "V" refers to velocity, get it, but when I see "Rotate" I think corkscrew, which I would think would not be a good thing if you're trying to get an aluminum sausage off the ground!

John S.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #777
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
I know what you mean Jim by 425'n it.
Dave

Nope. This one may be a little vague, even for the astute Breakfast Show FANs. The only thing I think I know about tractors, is that American Motors took an engine out of one, turned it into a 6 cylinder, stuffed it into a Jeep, and then it took Jeep years trying to figure out how to make the thing obsolete so they could sell something new. Jim
Old 03-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #778
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
I assume the "V" refers to velocity, get it, but when I see "Rotate" I think corkscrew, which I would think would not be a good thing if you're trying to get an aluminum sausage off the ground!
But that is what it's called. You rotate from level to nose-up. You're thinking rotate as in left/right, pilots think of rotate as in up/down. There's a term for every direction of motion: turn, bank, roll, yaw, pitch, each of which has a very specific meaning. "Rotate" is pitch up during takeoff.

It has been a lot of years since I had a summer job washing airplanes at a flying school and taking my pay in bootleg flight hours (had to be bootleg hours, no ground school first), but some things about flying haven't changed since the days of Glenn Hammond Curtiss. Can't say the Wright Brothers; Curtiss invented the landing gear!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #779
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Whenever the flying friend is hauled in for another simulator check, he studies this V-whatever stuff beforehand until he's blue in the face. They will throw engine failure and/or a birdstrike at him on take-off - guaranteed!

As horrifying as it sounds, it's all pretty routine. He assures me that all airliners are designed to get off the ground minus an engine. I don't know if this applies to "engines," i.e. a three or four-engine airplane losing more than one on take-off. I guess it depends on weight, length of runway, etc. He says he's more concerned about a bird going through the cockpit windscreen and subsequent injury (or death).

Here is a sim recovery from "severe engine damage" at V1. Those flight-deck alarms would cause me to poo-poo my pants, but these guys seem to treat it as another day at the office.....

WESTJET B737-600 + Flight Simulator - YouTube

Here's the real thing. I bet these poor passengers really did (poo-poo that is). Kudos to the flight crew, though. This is why they practice this V stuff so much.....

ThomsonFly 757 bird strike & flames captured on video - YouTube
Old 03-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #780
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Frequent bird strikes on takeoff were one reason why Chenault Air Force Base closed back around 1960. They had bird scarers, ranging from blank-firing shotguns to air raid sirens, that they sounded before takeoff to get birds out of the way, but it got to the point where the birds (mostly seagulls and pelicans) would ignore the bird scarers and go on about their business.

There is an apocryphal story about the quest for bird-proof windshields. The Air Force supposedly built a pneumatic "bird cannon" to shoot birds at test windshields, kind of the same way that makers of hurricane-proof glass shoot 24s at panes of glass today to test them. But environmental concerns meant they couldn't use live birds, they had to use carcasses. Which was fine, until they ran out of carcasses. So some bright fellow said, "Why don't you just go to the supermarket and buy whole chickens to use as ammo?" That seemed like a fine idea in theory, but in practice it didn't work so well. The chickens broke through every type of cockpit armor glass. They convened a panel to study why the supermarket chickens didn't perform like the bird carcasses they previously used. Finally some wanker asked, "Did you remember to thaw the chickens first?"
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #781
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
But that is what it's called. You rotate from level to nose-up. You're thinking rotate as in left/right, pilots think of rotate as in up/down. There's a term for every direction of motion: turn, bank, roll, yaw, pitch, each of which has a very specific meaning. "Rotate" is pitch up during takeoff.

It has been a lot of years since I had a summer job washing airplanes at a flying school and taking my pay in bootleg flight hours (had to be bootleg hours, no ground school first), but some things about flying haven't changed since the days of Glenn Hammond Curtiss. Can't say the Wright Brothers; Curtiss invented the landing gear!
Hi Pro,

I don't doubt for a second that you're right about the aviation terminology; my point is that the definition of rotate is essentially to turn around an axis or center and that conjures up a quite different visual for me, a layperson when it comes to aviation, except for the fact that when I was working I had an international travel job. Thanks for the education!

John S.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #782
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I understand lawn tractors much better than aeroplanes. Our Craftsman looks just like yours except ours is red. Goes good, mower breaks all the time. Just put a plow on it so it wouldn't snow anymore and it has worked!

Gene
Old 03-24-2014, 09:11 PM   #783
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Mon adieu! Where do we go from here?
Annie
Old 03-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #784
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht