Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Ocean Pines , Maryland
Maryland To Maine

Our second year with an Airstream and we are planning a trip from Maryland's Eastern Shore to Maine, specifically the Pumpkin Patch Rv Resort in Hermon, Maine. We'd like to skirt the I95 corridor completely and would welcome suggestions to go "the route less traveled". We are thinking Pennsylvania, northern New York and over to Maine through Vermont and New Hampshire. Any suggestions on daily length of trip, neat places to spend overnight or a couple days or more would be greatly appreciated.
Docbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Sounds like a great trip. A few questions:

Are you willing to take other interstate highways other than I95?
Or do you want to avoid all interstate highways?
How long for the entire trip?

Answering these question may help in giving some input.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Echoing Hans627's request for more details about your trip, especially the overall time frame you are thinking of. Are you comfortable towing the AS on smaller 2-lane state highways for instance? What would be the longest day of driving?

Here on eastern Long Island NY, we are pretty much in the center of a circle which could include your home base and the Maine destination. A large radius swung from here could include Niagara Falls, the Adirondack Mountains, and so forth. We have traveled extensively in the Northeast [including all the above], so please point us all in the right direction. One month for your round trip or 3 months? Etc.

Any interest in history? Nature?

Happy trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docbutch View Post
Our second year with an Airstream and we are planning a trip from Maryland's Eastern Shore to Maine, specifically the Pumpkin Patch Rv Resort in Hermon, Maine. We'd like to skirt the I95 corridor completely and would welcome suggestions to go "the route less traveled". We are thinking Pennsylvania, northern New York and over to Maine through Vermont and New Hampshire. Any suggestions on daily length of trip, neat places to spend overnight or a couple days or more would be greatly appreciated.
I've wandered most of that route. Broad strokes:

1. Suck it up and take Rt 50 to 495 to 270N (tword Fredrick, MD)
2. Take 81N to 88N (you certainly can take 2 lanes if you hate 88N)
3. 88 will get you square into Mowhawk Valley and all roads are gorgeous.
4. After wandering in Mowhawk valley you really can't miss. Endless rural roads and beautiful scenic 2 lanes.

Stop by our house and drop off some softshells
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:28 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Ocean Pines , Maryland
Maryland To Maine

Additional information. About two weeks up, want to use interstates other than 95 for the most part but two lane roads would be OK too. Looking for scenic rather than history. Quick trip back to Maryland.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:48 AM   #6
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I agree with Too Tall in that I would take I81 using whatever is the best way to connect to it. I would then pick up I84 in Scranton heading to Newburgh, NY. Then head north along the Hudson River valley. We love this area. There are beautiful views of the Hudson River and you can visit places like Hyde Park and the Vanderbilt Mansion. We stayed at a KOA in the Newburgh area.

The Hudson River School of art (not a typical school but a methodology) is very interesting. The Thomas Cole home and studio was an enjoyable visit.

Then continue north toward Albany, visit the Lake Placid area. Beautiful and historic with the history of the Olympics. And visit the Ausable Chasm if you have time. The Lake Champlain area is beautiful. Then cross over into Vermont and then NH and then into Maine. You could spend as much time in the VT and NH areas as your schedule allows.

I hope that give you a few ideas.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
Hudson River Valley is the best on the way to Maine! Don't miss it!
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Additional information. About two weeks up, want to use interstates other than 95 for the most part but two lane roads would be OK too. Looking for scenic rather than history. Quick trip back to Maryland.
Thanks for the additional info. Thinking cap on here . . . when do you want to leave plus or minus? [think weather/holidays] Assuming Niagara Falls is too far west? If you had to pick one specific scenic area to include, what would it be, maybe the Adirondacks or northern VT/NH? Once you commit to going north of Albany NY, the options to continue north, and then go east on non-Interstate roads, will consume more time and effort.

Ah so many options. . . !

More later.

Peter
Old 04-29-2020, 03:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I agree with Too Tall in that I would take I81 using whatever is the best way to connect to it. I would then pick up I84 in Scranton heading to Newburgh, NY. Then head north along the Hudson River valley.
We live in this area and when we head north (which is a fair amount) we take 84 to Mass Pike(90) to 290, 495 and then on 95. This stretch of 95 is very different than 95 below and through New York. It's still an interstate, but not as crazy.
Old 04-30-2020, 01:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS to Post #8 -- Here is a broad brush overview, Docbutch, of a possible route going as far west [Binghamton NY] and north [Burlington VT] as might work for 2 weeks going up IMO -- a total of almost 1000 miles, compared to about 700 for a direct route up I-95 etc.:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ocea...2d44.81007!3e0

Any thoughts or guidance?

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- Attached map is (C) 2020 Google, as a Fair Comment on copyrighted material.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MD to ME 30 Apr 2020.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	366879  
Old 04-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Ocean Pines , Maryland
Loved the route. Joined Roadtrippers online to plan the trip just as you suggested.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sounds good. I picked Binghamton because we have been to Corning Museum of Glass there, and it is fascinating, if you like that kind of thing. Hopefully they will be open sometime soon.

https://www.cmog.org/

The Adirondacks are amazing on their own, but, again, not sure what will be open when you get there. If you can get a campground near Lake Placid, all kinds of day trips into the mountains are good from there. Mt. Marcy to the east is where VP Teddy Roosevelt was camping in 1901. He had to be rushed back, on horseback and stage coach, during the "Midnight Ride," to be sworn in as President in Buffalo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt-Marcy_Trail
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Marcy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Tear_of_the_Clouds
"On September 14, 1901, then-US Vice President Theodore Roosevelt was at Lake Tear of the Clouds after returning from a hike to the Mount Marcy summit when he received a message informing him that President William McKinley, who had been shot two weeks earlier but was expected to survive, had taken a turn for the worse. Roosevelt hiked down the mountain back to the Upper Tahawus Club, Tahawus, New York, where he had been staying. He then took a 40-mile (64 km) midnight stage coach ride through the Adirondacks to the Adirondack Railway station at North Creek, New York, where he discovered that McKinley had died. Roosevelt took the train to Buffalo, New York, where he was officially sworn in as President.[5] The route is now designated the Roosevelt-Marcy Trail.[6] "

I think this sign is still there along a side road:

https://www.adirondack.net/history/midnight-ride/

Sorry if this is TMI on the history angle. When you are standing at the tiny Hudson River looking up at Mt. Marcy, TR's "Midnight Ride" -- in the dark -- becomes very meaningful IMO! At one point, you can actually step across the Hudson River which starts near Mt. Marcy.

A great route for a two-week trip IMO.

Have fun!

Peter

PS -- Do your due diligence to research black fly and mosquito season in Maine. It can be brutal in the Spring and early Summer!
Old 04-30-2020, 12:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS2 -- Photo taken in 2009 . . . not sure if this plaque is still there, or where it was for that matter.

Note time stamp of 2:15 AM!

Happy trails,

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TR Tahawus 30 Apr 2020.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	466.1 KB
ID:	366910  
Old 05-01-2020, 02:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
One last thought . . . as you cross over into New Hampshire on I-93, you might want to dip south to camp in the Franconia Notch and Mount Washington areas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconia_Notch
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_...(New_Hampshire)

Have fun!

Peter
Old 05-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Route 2 across VT , while scenic, is very bumpy east of Montpelier. Route 105 across the top of VT is really nice, highly recommend that if you're up that far. This map shows pavement conditions in VT. http://vtrans.maps.arcgis.com/apps/w...53f48c3daf0275

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Kim's recent post and good advice caught my attention.

Doc, is this the same trip anticipated by the following thread last fall?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ml#post2312388

Quote:
We live on Maryland's Eastern Shore and are planning a trip to Maine in September. Any recommendations on trip planning? We'd like to stay away from NYC and environs.
Hopefully travel will be opening up for camping this summer and fall.

Peter
Old 05-13-2020, 05:47 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
camden , Maine
Covid quarantine

Not to be a wet blanket, but Maine currently (May 13) has a two-week quarantine in place for anyone coming into the state. No grocery shopping, tourist attractions, etc. You might inquire with your destination regarding what that will mean specifically for your time here.
Two Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:52 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
In addition to the 2-week quarantine, we heard today that RV parks (and probably state parks) will only accept Maine residents in June. They are considering accepting out-of-staters in July but that's still being debated. They also warned that they may close down again Sept-Oct. We really wanted to go to Maine for the fall but now are reconsidering.
OldFolksRoam is offline   Reply With Quote