Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2015, 08:34 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

SteveSueMac: Thanks for the reply. I agree, there were quite a few people that expressed concern for the young man. I think even a few in direct response to the original post. That's why I tried not to generalize by qualifying my response with "Some". But point taken. Thanks.

I do agree that distracted driving is something that really needs to be addressed. It goes beyond just cell phone use. The interior components designed into the automobile now can be a very big distraction.
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:33 PM   #62
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Statistically young drivers have greater odds of causing an accident than middle agers, but our first trailer demise was the fault of an older (70s? I couldn't tell) woman making a very long road trip on her own, who claimed she fell asleep at the wheel. My sense was that Granny shouldn't have been driving on such a long trip on her own. In our accident, it was a miracle that she wasn't seriously injured or dead. I agree that sympathy for the "perpetrator" is always called for; and that if our own defensive driving can't avert an accident, at least start out with really good RV insurance. Because, you never know. And that insurance may just get you into your next AS.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:12 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I know there is red & white reflective striping available at every truckstop, and I think there might be restrictions on how much can be put on a commercial tractor trailer. Are there any restrictions on RV's? I'd like to consider a tasteful stripe in white reflective tape around the edge of the belly pan.
My B190 stripe had a white strip that was reflective, stock from Airstream. It was pretty cool when I had it parked in our driveway because we'd come around the corner down the street and that stripe was the first thing we'd see. In this picture you can see it glowing, as I used the flash to illuminate the shaded side of the camper.

Quote:
ArtStream - who hasn't been active lately - had some kind of blue lights installed under his trailer - and had them softly glowing when he was camped. Thinking about it, I've seen several rope lights that change color. Wouldn't that be an attention getter if hooked up to the edges of the belly pan and left on while towing? Anyone know if it would be illegal anywhere? I can't get out of Virginia Beach and NOT be on a busy interstate for at least 20 miles... I'd run with any lights legal or otherwise in that situation.
I'm pretty sure that's illegal in many states.

My feeling is that if you can't/don't see an Airstream in front of you, you probably shouldn't be driving. They're huge compared to cars and SUVs on the road, they have ample marker lighting, and they have a reflective surface. I'm just not sure how much more we can do, and we're not going to avoid every accident.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:34 AM   #64
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
The US population has increased by 100 million since 1976, that alone changed more things than you can imagine.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Does the OP have an update on repairs to their repairs? Was it able to be repaired and where were they completed?
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Does the OP have an update on the condition and prognosis of the 18 year old?
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote