Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bellingham , Washington
Trans-Canada

I am travelling from Banff to Toronto and then back home to Bellingham, WA in mid-Sept. (to Toronto), and mid-Oct. back home. I am a new AS owner with several 3-4 day trips under my belt, this an expedition (after 3-weeks in Jasper, Lk. Louise, Banff) then on to Toronto and back. Should I plan more time? I am not into doing long hauls (>5-6 hrs per day) when moving from one place to another :0) Two possible routes?, either Canada, drop to US and US up to Toronto. I welcome suggestions on places to see, stay and weather considerations, etc. Thanks for your advice!
kmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Mid October at that time of year is a tough call with the weather. We drove a section of I94 a couple of years ago. Road was in good condition and you can make some good time. Roosevelt NP is on I94 and is worth seeing. You can also go to Little Big Horn. I would recommend Seventh Heaven RV but I think they will be closed for the season by then. As you pass by Glacier NP (hopefully you will stop) their is a place called Izzak Walton Inn in Essex on highway 2. If you like trains this is place to see. Lots of memorabilia and lunch is pretty good.

We loved Banff and Jasper! Lake Louise was really crowded so get there early.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 06-27-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Take care - year before last, our run through Wyoming on I80 was just in front of a winter storm. That was in late September. We were there because it was hotter than normal in the mid-west. The point is that Fall weather to the North is variable. As an example, Missoula is a bannana belt area, while it gets colder and there is more wind and weather in the Kalispel area.

Schedules can kill you. Have wait time built into the plan. If you travel slow, you can't out run a storm. You have to wait it out. Brother returned to Montana in late Oct/early Nov. Daily run was from one FHU CG to the next. He ran the furnace 24/7. Wait to leave until roads dry. Travel slow and stop early. Carry your chains and do all you can not to use them. Being stopped in a safe and warm place is the best travel method in bad weather.

Note, it's not just snow and ice that can be hazardous. Rain can slow you down as well.

Keep an eye on the weather and be flexible. Note, as well that a lot of CGs close down after the beginning of Oct.

Your escape route is to head South and enjoy the California coast to get home. Note, we had good weather heading home last year in mid Oct by taking US50 through Nevada and CA. Saw light snow in high elevations when passing through CO.

Fingers crossed for you. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I just finished the Winnipeg / Toronto portion of your trip. 3 days but 4 would be better. I have done Calgary to Winnipeg too many times to count. 2 days is best but can be done in one. The TransCanada across the north shore of Lake Superior is one of the nations most beautiful drives. On the way home, the US route is best, cheapest, and less likely to get snowed out in October. Go way around Chicago. Be flexible and have lots of propane. I always travel with full water and empty holding tanks because my Jeep has an unpredictable character. Good luck and once out of Alberta, do not plan on open campgrounds in Canada at that time of year although a few are still open. Walmart is your friend. Jim