Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Why the obsession with a big air compressor.
I tried various inexpensive compressors. Most were of the 12v. variety. It's not only the maximum pressure, but the time involved too. You may be able to inflate a tire to 60 pounds, but it takes 20 minutes. I had a few who shut down by overheating to inflate a bicycle tire to 65 pounds. The Vlair is probably the best, and it recommends that you do not extend the power cord and have the engine running to supply the big 12v. draw.
I considered just carrying the tank (no compressor) that you fill at some source and just carry it. Maybe handy to save a long hose, but I didn't want a tank with 125 psi in the car, and it would be empty when I needed it most.
Finally, as I noted, big isn't necessarily expensive. My pancake compressor served me for 10 years, and cost around $100. I kept it in the box and it still looks new.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's not entirely flippant to say, throw those external TPMS sensors as far away as you can and you will not need a compressor to routinely add air.

At least that was our experience in the very short time we used them. Actually I have the set in a box in the garage somewhere, the batteries are depleted so the units need to be replaced at another $200 plus tax and shipping (which amounts to the insurance deductible in the very unlikely event of sudden failure, which may cause trailer damage).

The "what if's" never end and most of us must budget our resources. Better money spent will get higher quality tires to mitigate this issue, after putting some reasonable time on the factory originals.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
I wrote about the TPMS last night and this morning woke to a flat tire. These dongles if installed as mine were on basic cheap stems as opposed to the high pressure brass ones will cause them to fail. That happened at the beginning of the trip and I didn't remove the others as I didn't have a 2mm metric Allen key to remove them. So. Flat tire changed this morning and happy for the compressor as it let me top off the spare.

In other news, they no longer make the Marathon tires but up in nowhere where we are, going to find an old school tire shop to patch as you apparently don't plug radials.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yes, you will need to demount the tires to replace the factory rubber valve stems for external sensors (or they'll flop all over the place), or install internal sensors.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
I hope I'm not derailing this discussion, but as for air compressors, I'm using the Ryobi 18-volt ... pretty small, and does the job of topping up the tires.

If you happen to be buying another Ryobi 18-volt tool (as I was), you can get the compressor for $20.

It uses the same battery and charger as the weed eater I bought along with it.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
My tire-pressure system says rubber valve stems are OK. That's what I have on the Bambi.

I've only put about 200 miles on the tire monitors, but they have worked fine.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I've used the TST external sensors on our 2017 Classic and prior on a 30'FC both with rubber stems and no issues. But, I will switch to brass stems when the time comes to replace tires.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
10 years pulling 3 months a year and I do not carry either the to to a or a compressor. Have not seen the need. I do keep an eye on the tires at stops. I do run good tires.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
You said you're going with TPMS and that seems a good choice over a 12v compressor (I looked at your original post and noticed this detail). Although a 12v compressor can fill or bring a low pressure tire back to normal, it can take a long time and the compressor may overheat and stop working until it cools.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:02 PM   #50
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I don't have TPMS on my trailer and will probably never add it. Maybe my next trailer will come with it.

I check tire pressures often with a gauge, and I have a spare that I also check. In reality that's all you need, and everything beyond that is a convenience.

At present I do not rely on a compressor because bring a small SCUBA cylinder with a 125 PSI regulator and an air chuck.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Good tire gauge (as was said above).

Bicycle pump instead of compressor. (make sure it has the right valve type on it, your tires have schrader valves). It's more convenient than a compressor (no stringing wires or hoses around or worrying if they are long enough). Just 25 strokes gets me 2 psi in my trailer tires. I don't find that onerous.
Yup. Did that for three years of full-timing - about 25 strokes per 2 psi also. A side benefit is that might also provide a bit of amusement for fellow campers. I seldom had to add air - usually due to large temperature or elevation changes.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
I just want to again thank everyone for their thoughts and relayed experiences.

Here's where I'm at right now.

-TPMS is great if it works correctly and doesn't cause more problems than it solves. Maybe it's a matter of letting the technology catch up. There first system I had in my vehicle was a pain, the one I have now works well.

-Compressors should be rarely needed and, if you check tire pressure frequently, could get by without one while filling up where air is available. Also handy for pumping up bike tires, etc.

There have been good points on all sides, including those who say I need both and those who say I need neither!
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
Hello,

We are a few weeks away from our first long trip with our AS. We are heading from California to MN and back. 10 days total, so we will be driving a lot.

If you were headed out on this trip, would you rather have a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) or a 12v compressor? In what order would you purchase them? I don't want to spend more than $200 on equipment right now, so should I just go cheap with both to have them both? Or buy better products and just wait on the one?

Thanks in advance!

Matt
I have both and bought the Air Compressor before we embarked on our first adventure. Along with a couple of good Tire Gauges. It was a good move since the GM tires the trailer came with needed to be aired up every time it set for a couple days.
A year later installed a TMS. With a set of Michelins or similar high quality tires you will hardly ever use the Air Compressor.
The TMS will work great for monitoring tire conditions but it will not give you warning regarding an impending blow out or sudden thread separation. It works great if you develop a slow leak, allows you to manage the situation, getting to a repair shop or a safe place to change out the leaky tire.
I experienced both. The TMS and a set of Michelins made me lazy. I use the air gauge occasionally just to double check the accuracy of the TMS.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
First thing I did when I purchased my preowned 2008 Classic 25fb is get one of these
https://www.tiretraker.com/proddetail.php?prod=TT500-4
when I replaced the GYM with Michelin 235/75x15 MS-2 tires.
I also have a Vair 12v compressor.

If you have a tire that over heats or looses pressure it could tear up your Airstream wheel well.

What brand of tires do you have on your Airstream?

Kelvin
Old 07-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We installed a custom 12Vdc outlet behind the bottom refrigerator compartment hatch in our 2015 23D International Serenity. It is fused for 30 amps for the Viair 450 air compressor. The built in Viair cord was cut near the end to be able to easily switch from alligator clips or the plug for the 23D. The included 25" coiled air hose can reach all four tires as well as the spare. We also installed the Dill 1506-453 TPMS and Centramtic wheel balancers when we upgraded on the selling dealership lot from the stock 14" wheels and GYM tires. We installed 15" SenDel wheels with five lugs for the 10" brakes hubs and the same model 15" Michelin tires I had used on our 25FB International Serenity.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:19 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
TMPS and Compressor

I just had an experience that proved to me the value of having both. I was traveling down highway 20 in western Oregon when the TPMS alarm went off. I am running Maxxis E rated tires at 80 psi, my alarm is set to go off at 70 psi. Since the sensor indicated 70 psi in the tire I was hoping something was wrong with the sensor, but soon the pressure was 68psi then 66 psi so I pulled over to investigate. Didn't see or hear anything wrong with the tire. I have a small 1.5 gallon compressor (120 volt) So I fired up the inverter and plugged into the trailer filled the tire to 80psi and was on my way, for abut 30 minutes, alarm go's off again, I am only about an hour and a half from my destination on a narrow busy road, so I fill the tire to 90 psi and am on my way - for 45 minutes, repeat once more and arrive at my destination where I change to my spare. The slow leaking tire had a small piece of metal in it. Without the TPMS when would I have realized the tire was flat ? and without the compressor I would have had to change to my spare in an unpleasant circumstance.
lkm4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #57
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Just my .02 I think the TPMS is a must, too much can happen back there without you knowing about it. The one with the temperature sensors is the one I plan on using. I remember years ago there was a couple travelling through the Southwest in a motor home towing a car on a dolly. The dolly lost a tire and they did not notice. They drove many miles and started some major fires and were sued by at least one state. I don't remember the number but it was over 1 million.

As far as a compressor, I installed the Viair Constant Duty Onboard Air System under my F-350 last year. I don't know how I lived without it! It comes with 450C compressor and a reserve tank, lines, gauge, and all the safety gear for the tank. I made a few improvements as I didn't like the plastic lines so I switched out to braided steel. I put my air chuck right behind the pass side running board. I use it to air down for the beach, and last trip we had a rear tire begin to separate. With the small floor jack I carry and the impact wrench I had it changed in 15 min. That includes dropping the spare and raising the takeoff back into place. At camp I had to remove the trailer wheels, used it again. When cleaning my 7 pin connector I used it again. And what about train horns for those texting drivers in front of you at the green light???

Not saying everyone needs a system like mine but it sure floats my boat! And takes up no room being under the truck. (fresh air intake is behind the back seat)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2985.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	289809  
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I have neither, run about 12,000 miles / year.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We upgraded our 2012 RAM 2500HD Cummins when brand new to a Kelderman level ride air bag suspension on all four wheels. I plumbed an air chuck beside the rear license plate as there is an air storage tank for the suspension. So I have a 50' air hose that will reach any tire on our 31' Classic when attached or an adjacent trailer if necessary. I also installed the Dill 1506-453 TPMS and Centramatic wheel balancers when I immediately upgraded to 16" SenDel wheels and 16" Michelin tires.

We also carry racing grade tire pressure measuring devices in both trailers.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:12 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
I appreciate all the suggestions. I think I'm going to go ahead and get a decent compressor now and get the TPMS next.

I'm sure if I have a failure I'd wish I had both, but for now the compressor will also serve for bike tires and TV tire so it seems to make more sense.

I appreciate the suggestions for checking temperature of hubs as well as the tires. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks again!
Back of hand works for baby fevers and tire temperature - but it is not very accurate or reliable. I carry a Ryobi laser thermometer and use it to check for brakes and tires. I also use a Ryobi compressor that runs on rapid recharge lithium batteries. My vacuum and power drill also use the same batteries, so we are always ready with charged batteries. No ac required, and no cords to the compressor.
TPMS on tow vehicle is terrific. I will upgrade on the AS eventually. But for now, I would prefer a compressor to actually make daily adjustments based on temperature and altitude, as well as in the event of a repair.