Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #121
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Like this...

Not my photo, but the essence of how it's done in Maryland. I think the "spiced crabs" you refer to is the Old Bay seasoning we steam them with.
Spiced crabs is more than the just Old Bay seasoning, although Old Bay is very good seasoning for most seafood, as well as slow cooked venison. Spiced crabs refers to the "spicy" chile infused sauce used on the Maryland Eastern shore to cook crabs. This spicy sauce sticks to the shells of the crabs, and then gets on the fingers when the crabs are broken apart, as in your picture. Pulling the crab meat out of the shell by hand transfers the spicy sauce from the fingers to the crab meat. The newspaper covered table with a bucket of crabs dumped in the middle is the traditional way to eat them. I've had problems getting my European friends to join in this kind of feast, however, as eating communally with one's hands is not usually acceptable. No problem, all the more for me.

I learned that this was not just a Chesapeake Bay pleasure when I visited Singapore and had crabs prepared and served the exact same way, except the sauce may have been a bit spicier and even more flavorful. Spiced crabs is one of my all time favorite meals, and I've gone so far as having them flown in, on ice, on specially occasions when nothing else would do.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #122
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Well, today we really got a chance to experience the epitome of what this trip is all about: we are in the Boston area and visited the Minute Man National Historic Site, where the "shot heard round the world" happened, starting the Revolutionary War. It was something that we all knew about from school, but to walk down the same road as the troops, to stand in the same place that Paul Revere was captured, to see the bridge where it all started...it was awesome for us and the kids!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #123
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
not so much for my feet and legs though....

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
history, planning