Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Texas to Michigan and then some

We are leaving in few days on a trip of sight seeing and escaping the Texas heat, and the proposed area at this time the Great Lakes area by way of Jackson Center to take the tour. Continuing up thru Michigan, across the Mackinaw bridge, I think it is, then West across Wisconsin around Lake Superior, and into Minnesota.

We have a couple of kayaking spots we want to stop off and see on the way North, but other than the map that indicates scenic drives, we know nothing. All help appreciated and all advice will be considered.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Torch Lake was rated by National Geographic magazine of one of the three most beautiful lakes in the world, need to rent a pontoon to go to the sand bar. Barnes Park is just North of Torch Lake and on Grand Traverse Bay, great place to camp.

Barnes Park Campground

Petoskey Michigan Area | Harbor Springs | Boyne | Hotels, Vacations, Travel - Petoskey Area CVB

Visit Charlevoix, Michigan | Charlevoix the Beautiful! | Great Lakes Tourism

Sleeping Bear Dunes Voted 'Most Beautiful Place in America'

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/best_pl...6#.UbzhEzDD_IU
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Torch_Lake_North_End_Fall.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	188317   Click image for larger version

Name:	the_alke.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	188318  

toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Steve,

Try PM'ing "dkrug" who attendeed our spring rally. I believe they live around Detroit and they might have some good info for you.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Michigan

Good choices from Toastie. After Petoskey, head over to Harbor Springs and take the scenic path to the bridge, RT 119 I believe? Nice funky place to eat in Cross Village. As long as you are so close do the old fort on the south side of the bridge and of course, do Macinac Island. You'll have to park your rig someplace and take a ferry over. If you have bikes bring them otherwise you can rent them on the island. Macinac (I know I am mispelling but can't get out of this note to spell check without losing all that I wrote) is a must. I live in the UP and find it very beautiful. Pictured Rocks in Munising is a great stop over. Nice camping there. Marquette is a nice city to visit as well. White fish at the Veirling brew pub is the best. This is if you are going along the southern shore of Lake Superior. If doing the northern shore of Lake Michigan you'll do a different set of towns. Pretty as well but not as rugged as Superior.
amazingwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1971 27' Overlander
2004 25' Safari
Jourdanton , Texas
If you are into Auto Shows , there is a great one at ST. Ignance.MI near the end of June. The Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point is also a fascinating stop.

Enjoy the trip, you have endless excellent choices around the lakes.

Jim
Prickly Pear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Thanks for your inputs. They are greatly appreciated and will be noted.

Any more?
Old 06-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Steve, We live on the west side of MI in Grand Rapids so I'm a little partial. For a beautiful drive, take U.S. 31 along Lake Michigan all the way north. Some very nice state parks along the way, but a warning, they are tight and crowded during the summer. Once you leave Mackinac head north to Sault St. Marie. We parked at a private campground on the river near the Sault locks. It is quite amazing to watch the big carriers navigate through the locks... a lot like taking your airstream through a narrow construction zone <smile>. Munising city park on the south shore of Lake Superior is very nice. If you do end up going up the East side of the state, we like Tawas State Park. If we can be of any help, drop us a note. We love it here (for 7 months of the year at least)!
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
If you are into Auto Shows , there is a great one at ST. Ignance.MI near the end of June. The Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point is also a fascinating stop.

Enjoy the trip, you have endless excellent choices around the lakes.

Jim
St. Ignace...and there is a beautiful little state park right there near the water and the end of the bridge.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
North of Grand Rapids is a great place to camp, rated in the top 100 in the country. Just a few miles from River Ridge is a great 5 star golf course.

River Ridge RV Resort | In Stanwood, Michigan

Welcome to Tullymore Golf Resort

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
I agree...31 north is a beautiful drive. Once you get north of Ludington, the little towns of Bear Lake & Arcadia have nice parks right in town. This might actually be M22... Arcadia has a great one on the shore of Lake MI that's nice to stop for a break or a picnic lunch (no camping) Also an amazing scenic stop overlooking Lake MI near Arcadia. If you can climb the 100 (?) steps, you'll be able to see for miles...Bear Lake has a town park with campsites on Bear Lk. If I remember correctly, they were inexpensive, $10 a night...but only about 20 or 30 of them. A little farther north & you'll be at Sleeping Bear Dunes NLS...lots of sites there. If you drive all the way north on Leelanau Penn. there is a rustic SP at the tip. I could go on...but, the best resource i've found is the State of MI web site...Pure Michigan.org. There is a travel/camping section with links to non SP campgrounds, as well.
Here's a view from the viewing deck at the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1536.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	188384  
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Steve , being a Michigan lifer we've been all over the state, so believe me you won't begin to see what Michigan is all about in a few days. How about doing a search here under rallys and look up "Exploring under the Bridge rally". There were many good places to see listed there esp. in the UP ( our favorite place). Good luck and happy camping in our great state.
Barry & Karen
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote