Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Texas to Alaska in March!

Man, it has been on heck of a trip to this point.

We are securely camped tonight in Watson Lake, Yukon Territory and with a bit of luck will make it to Skagway, AK tomorrow afternoon. That is if they clear the avalanche on the highway into Skagway. We were told that they should have it cleared by morning.

The campgrounds have been exceptionally good this spring. The ones that are open (not many) all have had electricity and water has been available to fill our tank. Sewer is very hit or miss. Showers in Canada are usually pay as you go, though the one here at the Downtown RV park in Watson lake is free and very clean! Talk to Archie (he owns the place and is a hoot!)

The roads are atrocious. Lots of frost heaves, tons of gravel (yes I got a chip yesterday) and lots of ice and snow. Gasoline and diesel seems to be more available than it was last year. Not a problem at all.

The weather has been different every day. Snow for 4 days straight in Edmonton kept us there, then beautiful, but very cold (0 to -5 fahrenheit) until we got to Fort St. John. Today it is 38 degrees and sunny, though it snowed on us in the mountains north of Fort Nelson.

Tonight it is supposed to be 20 degrees and snow. Tomorrow we will take what we can get and hit the road again toward Skagway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	In the snow.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	99016  
Old 03-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Sounds like a great trip Chief.

Hope you have a leak free time!

Steve
Old 03-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Hey Steve. No leaks since you did the test and I did the sealing. Skagway will be the real test and I will let you know!!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxrite View Post
Hey Steve. No leaks since you did the test and I did the sealing. Skagway will be the real test and I will let you know!!
You guys actually found a RV park with working WiFi?
Bob
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
What an adventure! I'm shocked you found any campgrounds open. Most in western Canada close in the middle of October and don't open again until May. This is a trip I'd love to do, but I've even been nervous about it in summer. You are real troupers. Thanks for this post! It sounds so exciting.
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hopefully in our future.

Hi, I will be following this thread to learn more before we attempt doing it. Unlike us, do you have four wheel drive and tire chains for driving in the snow. Once in Northern California into Oregon we drove on snow and ice. [2WD and no chains] Same on last trip to South Dakota. [2WD and no chains] But for an Alaskan trip, I'll need to be more prepaired. And maybe start at a later date for clear weather. Have fun and keep us updated.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Hello all. Early morning here and it is 12 degrees outside this morning. The furnace is working as advertised and we are winterized, so no worries.

Hey XBob2..wifi is not optional..TV, Phone..who cares..Momma wants her WiFi!! You are right though, it is not exactly a rarity, but finding it working is a different issue.

Finding campgrounds open this time of year is a function of having done this now for the last three years and getting to know the people who run them. Many of the campgrounds advertise that they are not open, when you can still get an electrical hookup and maybe a water tap to fill your tank (or in our case, fill our water jugs). We have camped at some pretty unusual places (restaurant parking lot, and others) when we make the trip early in the season.

I do not use tire chains. When the grade is that bad, I quit and find a place to camp. I have camped in the chain up area (though your not supposed to and I do not recommend it) but I have found that if you travel during the daylight hours that the road crews are quick to plow and sand the steep grades first. Four wheel drive, on the other hand is a necessity up here in the early spring. There are a lot of campgrounds and gas stations that are plowed, thawed and then refrozen for weeks at a time. They are literally ice rinks and 4 wheel drive is the only way to get into and out of them when you are towing. I have seen a lot of cars sitting on the edges waiting for someone to pull them out or sanding and salting their way out of a parking lot.

British Columbia and Alaska are beautiful this time of year. I am not sure that it is beautiful enough to hazard this trip unless you just need the adventure..the roads are so much better a month from now, that my preference would be to wait a month and enjoy the scenery AND the drive.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Drove into Skagway after lunch. The pass has been cleared of the avalanche. There is plenty of snow in the pass, but the road is in good shape and mostly dry with a few icy spots. The guys driving the snow plows have done a great job up there.

We spent the afternoon trying to get the Alaska Highway off of the airstream and the truck. What a mess both were. Nothing that a little water and soap won't cure.

We are securely tucked into our camping spot for the summer. We are looking forward to another beautiful Alaska adventure.

If you get to Skagway, be sure to let us know that you are coming and we will plan an evening meet up and show you the sights!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Ah, I wanted to see a picture of your rig with the Alaskan roads on them before you cleaned them up! Sounds like a great trip your having.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
That is not a trip you have been on , it is an adventure. Wow
I am assuming you use bottled water and don't use the holding tanks? Do you even need the frig on gas.

We will be in Haines at the Hitch-up RV Park from Aug 30-2.

I understand there is a fast boat from Haines to Skagway ?
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Clean now

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Ah, I wanted to see a picture of your rig with the Alaskan roads on them before you cleaned them up! Sounds like a great trip your having.
She is clean now. I actually had to wash the rig twice to get all of the grime off. I still need to finish cleaning the hitch and rigging, but she sure looks better!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot321 View Post
That is not a trip you have been on , it is an adventure. Wow
I am assuming you use bottled water and don't use the holding tanks? Do you even need the frig on gas.

We will be in Haines at the Hitch-up RV Park from Aug 30-2.

I understand there is a fast boat from Haines to Skagway ?
We use RV antifreeze in all of the tanks, by pass the hot water heater, add antifreeze to all of the sink and tub traps and then pump a gallon through all of the lines.

Bottled water is what we use. It is a bit inconvenient for a few days, but not too bad.

Yes!!! there is a fast ferry between Haines (one of my favorite places on the planet) and Skagway. If you come over during your stay, look me up. Just ask for Jerry Harlin at any of the Corrington stores in town..someone will know where I am working.