Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Is this just one more trial balloon on the road to.
Hello Comrades
I am from the Politburo of the government and I am here to help you.
It has been noted that this thread is posting remarkes that are not in the best interest of the government as found in the "Congressional recovery action plan"(crap)
You will please remember you are now subjects not citizens you gave that up.
Comrades the government is the solution.Your capacity for self-government was abandoned.

Are we going to let this be our country's future?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
We can combat this nonsense with the automotive version of the aluminium foil hat.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
This is classic misdirection. A miles traveled tax is a nonstarter for any number of reasons. One, the environmentalists want you to drive smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles. Gas taxes work much better as an incentive to consume less fuel. A VMT tax does not. Two, it is much easier to control a smaller number of fuel pumps than a much larger number of vehicles. Since the gas tax is a pass through, there is less incentive to cheat (by distributers). There would be a tremendous incentive for vehicle owners to cheat... and they would have unfettered access to their own vehicles. About five minutes after a VMT tax passed, there would be market in devices designed to thwart the tax.

Everyone knows the VMT tax will go down in flames, but this allows the Administration to have an easier go of an increase in the gas tax... which is most assuredly going to come. They can now argue... at least we killed the VMT tax.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Within a decade we'll be paying the same or higher gas tax, plus a mileage and weight tax, to drive on their privatized toll roads.
Let me tell you about those "privatized" toll roads.

Here in Orange County, Ca, wem have the 73 "privately financed" toll road.

To me, a privately financed toll road is when some of us get together, acquire rights of way, financing etc, build a road, put a gate at each end and charge for it's use. No public money involved. I have no problem with this concept.

Hear this........A dear friend owns two dog and cat hospitals, each about a mile from opposite ends of the 73 "privately financed" toll road. a few years ago he decided to do massive re-models on both.
When he went to get the permits from Orange County, he not only had to pay the permit fee, but a $30,000 fee on one and a $60,000 fee on the other because of his "proximity" to the 73 "privately financed" toll road.

I brought this to the attention of then California Assemblyman Larry Bowler of Elk Grove, CA, at a legislative conference of California Car Clubs. Assemblyman Bowler made a call and confirmed that yes, my friend had indeed had to pay those fees, and they had gone to the California general fund.

Also, public money is used for law enforcement on those roads, as well as bailing them out when they are financially unsuccessful, as is the 73.

So much for "privately financed" toll roads.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4WEDI View Post
Is this where we are headed Mr. Orwell ??

AP Interview: Transportation secretary says taxing how much we drive may replace gasoline tax -- Newsday.com

......."The system would require all cars and trucks be equipped with global satellite positioning technology, a transponder, a clock and other equipment to record how many miles a vehicle was driven, whether it was driven on highways or secondary roads, and even whether it was driven during peak traffic periods or off-peak hours...... The devices also could be programmed to charge higher rates to vehicles that are heavier, like trucks that put more stress on roadways. "

How would this effect your style ??
One day there will be another Boston Tea Party and it won't be without a blood letting I fear. How much can the taxpayer take sitting down? Just my two cents worth.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Thumbs up Yes Sir !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
One day there will be another Boston Tea Party and it won't be without a blood letting I fear. How much can the taxpayer take sitting down? Just my two cents worth.
It's being discussed in Chicago now !

Video - CNBC.com

T & K

Old 02-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #27
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Let's think a little.
Suppose that most manufacturers follow Mercedes Benz stated intention to get out of gasoline powered vehicles in the next 10 years or so.

Gasoline use falls to a very low level. Gas tax therefore falls to a very low level.

What is being proposed is a way of funding road repair/replacement instead of the gas tax. This ensures your neighbor who buys a Volt, electric Focus, Tesla, or Th!nk City pays for some of the road.

There are easier ways to to it, of course. Residents of many states already have an annual inspection - adding an odometer check would have about the same result.

Probably what will happen first is that license plates will be based on the GVWR and displacement. Ironic, possibly, given the tea talk, that Mass appears to be considering this already in the form of a "Hummer Tax" (Boston Globe article link).
Old 02-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Reknown forecaster predicts food riots, tax rebellion by 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
You are not alone in your prediction:

Note--the video takes a long time to download - but you can read the text by clickng on the headline.
Closed Thread