Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Bethany , Illinois
Mammoth Cave Campgrounds?

I am traveling to the Mammouth Cave area with the wife and dog in a few months and am looking for a good campground with full hookups and other amenities. I have found that the National Park campgrounds don't have full hookups, or any at that matter. I would appreciate any info on some of your favorite spots in the area, and even other attractions you liked. Can't hardly wait to get back out there. Thanks.

Cory
airstream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Cory,

There is a Corps of Engineers campground, Moutadier, located at Nolin Rivier Lake. This is about 15 miles from Mammouth Cave. Nice campground located on Nolin Lake. There is also a Jellystone Campground about 5 miles from Mammouth Cave. I have not stayed there but most folks I have spoke to really enjoyed the campground, especially the ones with children. However Jellystone is a bit more expensive.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltlevel510 View Post
Cory,

There is also a Jellystone Campground about 5 miles from Mammouth Cave. I have not stayed there but most folks I have spoke to really enjoyed the campground, especially the ones with children. However Jellystone is a bit more expensive.
We stayed at Jellystone. My 6-year old kid at the time loved it, especially the water slide. My wife and I preferred our stay at the National Park however.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yukon , Oklahoma
Nolin Lake State Park. We stayed there this past June while visiting Mammoth Cave. The campground has recently been completely refurbished and is very nice.

It is a Kentucky State Park - the rates were great - clean, large sites not on top of each other. Very clean restroom and laundry facilities.

This is one we will definitely return to when in that part of the country.
ScottMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
airstream66,
The state park at Noliin is really nice or at least it was before the ice storm. I would make sure the parks are open with no issues before you travel this way. The area south of the park (Bowling Green, Glasgow) were not as damaged by the recent ice storm so you may find better places to stay on this side of the park. I would not recommend Jelly Stone, not very nice, not very clean. If you don't mind a little drive Bailey's Point on Barren River Lake is really nice. Let me know if I can be any help.

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Definitely check...

Just saw that Land Between the Lakes is completely closed and they do not know when they will re-open. The Tennessee side sooner than the Kentucky...

Budgets and the amount of clean up they are having to do as you move north and east along the track of the storm.

I don't imagine you will find as much problem in the more commercial parks around Mammoth Cave.
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We stayed at the Jellystone and we were not that impressed. The "pull through" site might have been a pull through for some, but we had to back in and our rear bumper was setting on the ground due to the huge rise at the rear of the site. It rained and everything was pretty muddy and the family nature of the park resulted unsupervised youngsters roaming in large noisy, muddy groups.

We had to check in during a power outage that lasted for several hours and the staff was very helpful, even under the unusual circumstances.

I guess the activity level was a notch or so too high for our likin'
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote