Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2018, 08:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Surcharge for Crumbsnatchers

Something my DW and I are noticing more as of late, are private campgrounds charging extra for children.

Maybe it's been going on a long time, and we're only noticing because we've been using private CG's lately.

I realize there are "resorts" that cater to seasoned citizens who may not want screaming kids at their streetside window, or have to dodge tricycles as they drive thru the park. It makes sense to discourage campers with 'per child' fees.

But, I'm talking about CG's that specifically cater to families, charging extra. On our way down to TX recently, we stayed at a KOA. Yeah, I know. We were sorta desperate.
So, not only is the rate top dollar- something like $65, but they wanted to tack on an extra $5 per child over two. Really? The extra 400 btu/hr is gonna cause my A/C to run more and jack up the electric use? Or the water he uses while brushing his teeth is gonna hike the utility bill?

Then on top of that, any family activities in the park were a la carte.

Happened again in Traverse City area, and again near Sleeping Bear. "Family friendly" CG's assessing fees for little people.

I had conversation with both, citing the six children were ours, and if they were advertising themselves as family friendly, why were they penalizing us?

They waived the fees, but I think it's becoming a trend for private CG's to simply jack rates.

It's a free country (sortof), as an operator/owner you can charge whatever you want. But, next thing you know, we're going to be paying Disney rates to park on dirt with flakey hookups.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
It seems many RV parks charge for extra persons beyond two. Makes no difference on age. But if I had 6 kids in tow, I would plan ahead.

But yes, love all the extra charges for showers, dump station, cable TV, pull throughs, etc. Even state parks are charging a daily entrance fee for every day stayed in addition to the camping fee.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I've avoided KOA's for a couple reasons.
First, they have many amenities that cater to families that I don't need. Volleyball? I'm solo.
Then, they have way too many signs, "No this", "no that", that makes me feel like I'm in reform school.
I don't mind kids, but do they need to ride their bikes through my space?
Finally, I stopped at a KOA in Kansas, and told the owner I'd be happy to take a 30 amp spot, even though I had 50 amp wiring. He treated me like I was planning to burning down his campground! "You people can't be running your 50 amp RV's on my 30 amp sites."
I left.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
don't get me started on commercialization of some state and national parks... the whole NPS mission statement was to keep the natural beauty untouched for all generations

not, transform national treasures into Disneyland type attractions complete with full color brochures, concrete paths, guardrails, kiosks, 'stay off' signs, gift shops, interactive museums, etc...
and then they complain about their budget

As for state, here's a breakdown for a typical MI state park, power only:
$33/night
$8 reservation fee
$9 'passport' parking fee

Pure Michigan!
Old 08-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I sure agree with y’all.

Privatization of taxpayer facilities is abhorrent.

Extra fees for fewer children than in the baby boom years can’t be explained. Someone haul up the article from, “RV Park Owner Association” newsletter. Doubtless written by another parasite known as “an MBA”.

But let’s remember this point: RVs are bigger today than ever before. They don’t offer anything remotely justifying increased size or complexity that enhances camping. It was all there in 1968, including air-conditioning.

A $70,000 pickup? Ha? Bet you it’s an opening part of the MBAs persuasive appeal about fees. How much Americans are spending (financing).

The family car replaced at 12-years (and a trailer of this type) covered a quarter-century of travel. Economy was the point. One needn’t be uncomfortable or be required to replace the RV. The car would be replaced at any rate, TT or not.

The Congress doesn’t work for us and rarely has in two centuries. Seems that on some of these little things they would, that folks remember them as they cut some hempen rope to length.

Knot-Tying Class this evening at the communal fireplace.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Up charging, annoying indeed. First cars, then pets now kids.

At a hotel its the parking fee, the wifi fee, the breakfast fee, the spa fee, most of which I'm never going to use. At the gym it's the locker fee, the shower fee, the towel fee. I thought we already paid all those things.

How about they establish a fee and then subtract for everything you don't use, not going to happen.

Nothing like trying to take a photograph of some National Monument and we've managed to plaster all kinds of little warning and don't signs around it. Yes they can be photoshopped out but that's a lot of time when they could just move the sign a little bit further out.

Just the further decline of everybody's civilization.

It probably is another case of a few messing it up for the rest.

We were at a campsite once where there was a large group of kids, 15 10-13 yr olds having a wonderful time but running amok till 10: 30 at night through all the camping sites while they played tag. We finally walked over to the 5 adults who are engaged in conversation and having an adult beverage. They were receptive of our comments and told us they were just kind of checked out and not paying attention because the kids were having a good time.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
10:30 pm tag games thru campsites. The dividends of divorce as commonplace. “Dad, what Dad?” I think he gave up about 1968. Vietnam and the draft. Riots, and the cities ethnically-cleansed. He certainly lost necessary authority.

Wouldn’t have occurred to my father to search for the adults. Not first. Any “Dad” who objected to that would be the lone dissenter. As, any Dad was Dad enough.

Of late I’ve found it far mor fun to enact the old role. The diminished one doesn’t work at all.

Those changes and the subsequent invasion created the conditions for, “why we can’t have nice things”.

A far nicer place to travel. Once.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
These days, two adults, two children, with an additional charge for more of either, and a, maximum of six total (sometimes eight), seems to be a fairly common policy for hotels, motels, commercial campgrounds, and some public campgrounds.
TheOhioSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
In vino, veritas! (In wine, there is truth. Get someone half loaded then ask about their challenges) If you ever wanted to own a campground, meet some current owners when they've had a couple of beers.

Some of the extra fees are because some campers cheat. Two cousins come in for a week.... only a little spying shows there are 5 adults and 17 unruly kids. Really 4 families camping in 2 RVs.... the upcharges capture SOME of the lost income from the 2 unregistered families.

About once or twice a year I have to get security to tow or move a golf cart or truck tha is in my space. My neighbor has 2 trucks, a motorcycle and two golf carts... and I left for 15 minutes so I must have volunteered my one space for theor convenience.

These problems suck the profit margins way down.

And the pool that I rarely use still needs maintenance.

Some fees are too much, but what hacks me off is that I am NOT rewarded for being a good visitor... how about a half price night sometime?

Paula