Old 07-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Richhog, Thanks for the update. I'll definitely keep this info in mind. Sounds just like the kind of info I was looking for.

I just booked Rafter J Ranch near Mt. Rushmore for Labor Day weekend.

Does anyone have any recommendations on Bighorn? We were thinking of stopping for a night there on our way to Yellowstone.

oldtrucksrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Ft Wright , Kentucky
We are planning our first Yellowstone visit Mid-June of next year. Do you have an idea of the crowds that time of the year? Is it definite that Fishing Bridge will have power hook-ups restored next year? I understand that they will not take a reservation until November of 2010 for Fishing Bridge next year? We have seen reviews of a Red Rock RV Park on the western side of park. Seems like a good place. Anyone have experience? We were planning on coming in at the northeast entrance and trying our luck with a getting a campsite at either Mammouth or Norris for a few days. Are there sites at Mammouth for a 19 ft Toyota Tundra pulling a 25 ft Safari? Would we be best served to reserve a spot at Norris to accomidate. Any and all advice is welcome.

jhohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
Originally Posted by jhohe View Post
Any and all advice is welcome.
There are some beautiful non-reservable campgrounds like Slough Creek and Pebble Creek that would accommodate a 25 foot trailer. On the outskirts of the northeast entrance there are some great Forest Service campgrounds as well. My favorite is Soda Butte Campground (where the grizzly attack occurred this year).

In mid-June you'd probably be able to find a site without a reservation. You won't find a serene and peaceful park, but there still won't be the mobs of people that you find in July and August.

Unless you are highly experienced with mountain towing, I'd avoid towing through the Beartooth to the northeast entrance. I've seen big diesels with horse trailers up there so I know it's possible, but those are some steep and winding roads. You might even end up on snow covered roads in mid-June so watch the weather. I'd recommend coming through Cody, parking the trailer and then driving up into the Beartooth. It's a beautiful drive.

TinLoaf is offline   Reply With Quote