Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Clarita , California
Sleeps Six?

I am looking for an Airstream that sleeps six relatively comfortably, hoping that my daughter, son-in-law and two grandsons (currently ages 2 and 5) will join us for at least some of our journeys. The two models I have been considering are: (a) Eddie Bauer 27 and (b) Flying Cloud 30 Bunk. The advantages I see in the EB 27 are the rear hatch, more compact length and cargo room, but I question whether it can really sleep six. The FC 30 Bunk has the sleeping quarters, but is longer and (if I understand the floor plans correctly) has the toilet and shower combined in the back next to some of the beds, which I see as a disadvantage. Will the 30' length interfere with our ability to navigate and dock in more remote locations, such as in some of the state and national parks? Alternatively, will the EB 27 really sleep six comfortably? Any recommendations and advice (on these or other models) will be sincerely appreciated.

This is a brave (and exciting) new world for me, both on this site and Airstreaming in general. If a forum thread already exists on this topic, please point me to it, and forgive the repetition. I have done a search, but came up empty. (Actually, the search came up with about 5,000 hits, but a glance at a few did not reveal anything on point. Perhaps I need more experience with the search engine.)
Tod3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
I've looked at these two models. Somehow, the 30' Bunk always feels 10' longer than the 27' EB to me. Something about the layout....

Just remember - Kids will sleep anywhere!
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:22 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks, ericpeltier. Does the 30 feel 10' longer on the road (that is, more cumbersome to drive) or does it feel like it gives you 10' more living space (or both)?
Old 04-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Give them all the back bedroom and you two can sleep on the dinette and/or side lounge. This would work on the 27 giving all more privacy, the kids can go to bed early and sleep late.
Make do, it's part of camping. The Eddie Bauer costs about $10,000 more than a Flying Cloud, the significant difference is the hatch and larger tires.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:14 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
Give them all the back bedroom and you two can sleep on the dinette and/or side lounge. This would work on the 27 giving all more privacy, the kids can go to bed early and sleep late.
Make do, it's part of camping.
Thanks, Cheryl. I like that suggestion. Pretty luxurious accommodations in any event, compared to the camping I started out with.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:24 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Tod3 , we have an Eddie Bauer 27 and have had six people camping with us for a week.
It is tight but doable. Our adult daughter, her two children and our youngest son who is twenty years old have all stayed camping for a week with us.
Our daughter sleeps on the table bed with one of her kids, our son has the bench bed and the seven year old is on a small cot that is put up during the day.
We thought about the bunkhouse model also. We love ourEddie Bauer, but at times wish we had a bunk or two.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
Be careful assuming the dinette bunk is useable. Our Classic 27 dinette is quite uncomfortable as a sleeping platform. The young kids won't even sleep there. Our cushions have a "bolster" on their edge that makes a very lumpy bed.
LyleRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Sleeping 6 people 4 adults and 2 children in an Airstream can be done I guess, but living in an Airstream with six people 4 adults and 2 children will be the challenge. An Airstream due to layout and no slides has limited floor space. So seating and storage is limited. Now think about the bathroom facilities. Very little to no privacy.

For a day or 2 with park facilities available that may be fine, but any longer with no outside facilities the fun in camping will not last,

My thoughts anyway.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I wouldn't purchase an Airstream that is more than the two of you would need or want on the off chance your daughter's family would accompanying you. Get the trailer that is right for the both of you.

Kelvin
Old 08-31-2015, 09:07 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
sorry for the delayed response (What's 4 months between friends, right?)

I meant the interior feels dis-proportionally bigger. The length you will hardly notice when driving.
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
if my goal was to comfortably accommodate 6 people, often, i would not be shopping for an AS!
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sage advice, all. Many thanks. We are still pondering what makes sense and may defer a purchase until we have rented one and checked it out. Besides, I am reluctant to commit to such a purchase until we have adequate storage facilities.