Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2013, 01:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Hico , Texas
Silver City, Mew Mexico

We will be on our honeymoon adventure on Feb. 2 heading to AlumaFiesta. It looks like we will be around the interesting town written about in I the NYTimes, Silver City NM
http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/09/22...xico-town.html
the night before arriving to Tucson and we needed AirStream recommendations on a good RV park or Campgournd. Any recommendations?

Philip & Luci
Lazy Dude Ranch
Hico Texas
pdvasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Attractions in New Mexico & Arizona

While Silver City is a cute little town, it is a little bit off the beaten path; and you may find the following sites more interesting and closer to the route to Tucson:

NEW MEXICO

ARIZONA

Note: You may wish to purchase a National Park "annual pass", if you visit Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands. This pass is good for one year, and covers admission in most "national" fee areas. For more information, see FAQs at this link: U.S. National Park ServiceAmerica the Beautiful
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We have stayed twice at Silver City when en route to Phoenix and/or Tucson.

As mentioned, it is a bit out of the way, especially if heading for Tucson, but an interesting detour and stop for a couple of days.

Both times we have stayed at Rose Valley RV Ranch just south of town - maybe ten minutes from downtown. Nothing fancy, but fairly new with nice large sites , easy to get into, and very convenient.

There is an interesting gorge (now a park) that runs right through town parallel to the main street and one block over. At one time, it was the main street but got washed out in a storm and buildings washed away! They just left it and moved the main street one block over!

Some interesting little shops and restaurants in town and a nice museum worth a visit - tells a bit about the fact that Billy the Kid lived here and explains the history of a sanitorium that was one in town for treatment of consumption (TB) - supposedly because of what was considered to be desirable weather in the area.

If you have time, a drive North of Silver City (I forget how far - could be 80 miles or so) to the
Gila Cliff Dwellings would be a worthwhile day trip. Not a lot of commercial activity up that way, so might be good to take a picnic lunch!

If you are headed from Silver City due west towards Phoenix after your visit, be sure to fuel up before leaving! On our first visit, we did not, and we were just about running on fumes when we luckily found a gas station!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
We just got back from Silver City about a month ago. It is about 50 miles from Deming/I10 but it's an easy drive and fairly Scenic. We did some boon docking in the forest so I can't recommend any RV parks but just wanted to say we love Silver City and can't wait to go back. Gila cliff dwellings are a must see.
Hopefully you can make it and enjoy your trip.
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Gila Nat'l forest is just north of town and has numerous drycamping along Bear Creek. Nearby Pinos Altos has a museum and a great restaurant.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
FYI The Silver City area got hit pretty bad by recent floods.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
On Feb. 2, I would make that decision based upon the weather. Silver City can have a high of 40 low of 20 and snow, or high of 70 and low of 40 and blue skies. A nice park just a little north of I-10 is City of Rocks if weather doesn't cooperate.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Concur With Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
On Feb. 2, I would make that decision based upon the weather. Silver City can have a high of 40 low of 20 and snow, or high of 70 and low of 40 and blue skies. A nice park just a little north of I-10 is City of Rocks if weather doesn't cooperate.
When in Silver City, we have enjoyed the KOA there.
City of Rocks State Park is a wonderful, serene, campground, and not nearly so far off your route as Silver City.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0813.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	517.8 KB
ID:	196680  
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

There is the hot springs on the way to the cliff dwellings, I highly recommend them. Part of the Mimbres Valley, a very high energy area, one of my favorite places in the country. I lived in Silver City back in the 70's, go there anytime I pass on I-10.
cdmagda is offline   Reply With Quote