Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Seattle Area Campgrounds

We are taking out daughter up to college in Seattle in September and need suggestions for campgrounds. We want to spend 2 nights in a full hookup campground near the city, then another 5-6 nights in the general Seattle area, hookups not required (state park??? We love boondocking!). We would really appreciate suggestions for both types of parks. Also, any advice for avoiding the notorious Seattle traffic would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Wayne,

There isn't anything in Seattle, so you'll have to head outside the city to camp. Here is a link to a small list of campgrounds in the vicinity. For your longer stay, check out www.parks.wa.gov for a complete listing of all state parks.

As far as dealing with traffic, pay attention to what direction the express lanes are heading - they usually point South until 11am-ish and then head north after that to ease the evening commute. In general, you don't want to be on I-5 going against the express lanes.

What college will your daughter be attending? I might be able to give better traffic tips and camping recommendations based on the area of the city.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
We have stayed here twice. Quiet and woodsy.
The offramp from Hwy 16 has traffic circles now,
and the natives are still learning how to "do them".
It is a nice enough place to leave the airstream for day trips.
The problem is, it is 1 hour from seattle on a good day, and 2 hours away on a bad (normal) day.

Gig Harbor RV Resort.
9515 Burnham Drive NW, Gig Harbor, WA
Phone: 253-858-8138
Toll-free: 1-800-526-8311
Fax: 253-858-8399.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Seattle...

There are a couple of full hookup sites that are basically (tight) parking lots off of I 90 in Bellvue/Issaqua.... I'm not sure of their names however. They are close to the city via I 90 / I 5. I'm assuming you're thinking of UW? Take the 520 across (use the 3 person communter lane going West bound, get off on the second ramp towards Mountlake - UW exit. Take the first left after the Mountlake Bridge to get to the UW area - the first Right on 15th will get you to the back UW entrance.

There is also a KOA in south Kent that is a bit woodsey (as woodsy as you can be in an urban area)... but it is a bit of a drive in early morning traffic to the city.

You can dry camp in Marymoor park in Redmond OR the Tolt park-
http://www.metrokc.gov/parks/camping/
Marymoor is a huge urban park with walking trails, baseball fields, velodrome wooded areas, RC plane field, dog runs, and close to the city. Tolt park is very wooded (you'll feel AWAY from any urban area) but a bit further from the city as there's no direct way to get there. Figure 40" without traffic - but it won't feel that long as it's a pretty drive. No traffic, figure 20" for Marymoor park.
These two parks would be my choices.

Let me if you need to know more stuff - I live 5 " from the UW - I'd suggest camping on my street, but the city frowns on trailers being parked (hitched) for greater than 72 hrs, and unhooked trailers get ticketed.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Seattle "area" after the college move for vacation?....

we haven't talked about that... how far do you want to be? Inland, north, island.... there's a lot of choices. Let us know?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1960 26' Overlander
Mount Vernon , Washington
here is an RV park that is northeast of the city.
http://search.msn.com/local/details....easant+RV+Park
garthbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
3ms,
Yes... a bit of vacation after the college drop off. We'd like to be a bit north of Seattle, and on the water without having to take a ferry. Thanks!
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
The RV park options have been pretty well covered. The South Kent location is right on the Interurban Trail. A rail trail conversion that's great for biking. Also from Kent there is train service to downtown. Generally speaking to get anywhere in Seattle by public transport you have to go downtown first. Marymoor is dry camping. Access into the city is via the 520 floating bridge which is a huge bottle neck. Also 520 eastbound (Seattle to Marymoor) has a horrendous backup every evening from 3:30-7:00PM.

Ferries are a nice way to travel by foot or bike. Expensive by car and you don't want a big truck for driving in the city. "Rush hour" is from about 6:30AM - 7:00PM. Avoid the 520 (northern most of the two floating bridges) if at all possible in the morning and evening. There is no car pool lane across the bridge and the carpool lane leading up to the bridge is one of the only ones that requires three rather than two people. It's also one of the few left on the outside rather than inside lane. Avoid I-405, the so called Seattle bypass both north and south during commute hours.

Most State Parks have full hook-up and many are on the water. You'll be past the peak of vacation travel but I'd still recommend making reservations for the State Parks as early as possible. They have a pretty good map of the parks on line and if you have a medium to large rig (i.e. over 24') the number of "good" spots is limited. Your 22' will fit about anywhere but the best spots will let you drive through and camp without having to unhook if you so choose.

Which direction are you coming from and what sort of stuff other than the water do you want to see? I'd highly recommend a stop at the St. Helens Vistor Center. That's something you can't see anywhere else and is very well done. Road to the top is a wide highway with easy turns and a long but not too steep of a grade. From there you can get over to the coast (Pacific Ocean rather than Puget Sound) and Olympic National Park and the rain forest are spectacular. As is Hurricane Ridge if you've got time for the complete loop.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Eugene , Oregon
If your looking for something on the way up or back. We just camped at Cape Disappoinment at the mought of the Columbia. It was a great park, right on the water.

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp...tment&pageno=1
Kintscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
You also might try Camano Island State Park http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp...sland&pageno=1

Camano Island is a short drive from I-5 north of Seattle just west of Stanwood. It has a beautiful state park but it would be dry camping.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote