Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
cave city , Kentucky
Resident-owned RV parks

Are there such things as resident-owned RV parks - a campsite to leave your Airstream any time you want. Someplace you buy instead of rent. I don't know if it makes sense to leave something on wheels in one spot all the time, but I'm sure it does for some people. I'm wondering if there are any in Kentucky or Tennessee. Thanks
unit13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
AS only psrk in I think crossville tn. Own your spot. Can't re ember name but someone else will chime in.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Google Tennessee Cumberland plateau campground.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If I was going to do that I would get a purpose built park model to use as home base and travel with my Airstream as Wally intended.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Airstream-only parks are one of the reasons we're considering an Airstream. Escapees also has some co-op parks in which a member can buy/lease a lot.

If I had a ton of money I might be inclined to buy lots in several parks, picking one to be my official domicile.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Member owned - the good, the bad, and the ugly!

I full-time, but "half time" in a campground that is member owned. It's not Airstream exclusive... and it doesn't cost what many Airstream only campgrounds charge to buy a membership.

It went through a phase where it became a near slum because so many members stopped paying their maintenance fees. Most had aged out of camping or moved away and couldn't find buyers. Fortunately they hired a strong (mean) manager who threatened to take every member in default into court and foreclose on their deeds. This resulted in a slew of members giving away their deeds to people like me who would take care of the delinquencies. I got a bargain deed, they didn't get a ding on their credit rating due to a judgment. A lot of the early buyers expected a profit and were bitter, but almost any "TimeShare" type of real estate is a gamble.

Don't buy one unless you're willing to take a "dead loss." I've been a member 9 years now, and my initial investment was $1200 - 10% of what the original investors paid. Annual maintenance costs are still less than $1600 - so it's dead cheap camping, especially for a high cost resort area. When I'm done, I'll give it away. (Another disadvantage - I have to leave the campground for one week after spending 4 weeks in residence... It works for me, but not for others.)

If you're considering buying, look for a distress sale (there are MANY), and choose (A) a GREAT location everyone else wants and (B) USE that membership every year for 10 - 20 years. Expect "clean and well maintained but not luxurious" it's not the Hilton!

-----------------------------------
Virginia Highland Haven is an example of a very good member owned campground, but there is a generational shift happening there. Many new younger campers would consider buying shares but are still working, so they can't easily take a week or two to be camp hosts, work on maintenance projects, etc. I'm not a member because I'd never spend more than a week there in any given year, but I think they'll come up with something fair and creative (serve, or pay someone else to serve in your place probably).
Virginia Highland Haven is very small - 45 sites or so - and no one lives there full time. The setting is beautiful and it's right off the Blue Ridge Parkway - both of which help it stay popular.

I have seen some private campgrounds where half or more of the occupants are permanent residents, and the camp's management has let the campground slide into a "distressed neighborhood" (all the bad stuff they say about trailer parks). On the other hand, some are very nicely maintained - and owners who reside there permanently are required to keep their trailers in good repair and their lots clear and well maintained.

I know that I'll reach the end of my wandering years within the next 10 years, and I very well might decide to settle in the southwest at an Airstream park BUT it will be a carefully thought out choice and I'll get involved in board meetings, etc. to keep the park in a well maintained state.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Just wondering....Don't some of these parks allow the campsite owner to leave their space open at times and it's rented short term to campers passing through? Maybe it helps defray the cost of ownership or maintenance. I see that if a site is open at Highland, an As owner might be able to camp there for a few days. Am I right on this? I do know some folks who have a campsite in Florida but come north to WV for the summer.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Resident-owned RV parks

There is an RV park south of Fairplay Colorado where you own the space you park on. Many, many years ago my Father bought a lot there, and when they weren't traveling, left the rig parked there.

I don't what it's up to these days, but it looks like it's thriving; more rigs of all sorts.

However, that part of Colorado gets REALLY COLD in winter.

I'm sure there are others.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvstreamer View Post
Just wondering....Don't some of these parks allow the campsite owner to leave their space open at times and it's rented short term to campers passing through? Maybe it helps defray the cost of ownership or maintenance. I see that if a site is open at Highland, an As owner might be able to camp there for a few days. Am I right on this? I do know some folks who have a campsite in Florida but come north to WV for the summer.
Yes, each owner has his/her site, and if it's open non members with Airstream products can and do rent on a daily or weekly basis, and they even allow rallies to come on. I wouldn't expect to be able to rent a site on a major holiday weekend.

Paula