Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
New Denmark , New Brunswick
planning a trip to Vermont

Hi,

We are planning our first trip with our airstream this summer (end of July and beginning of August).

We were looking for the South of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.

Any good state parks you recommend? We love kayaking, country living, antiques and good food

Any suggestins would help

thanks

peach
peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Maine Good Food

Hello Peach. If you are going to southern Maine you must stop at Bobs Clam Shack in Kittery ME. They have the best lobster stew that I ever ate. It is located right on RT1 next to the Kittery Trading Post in Kittery ME, which is only about 10 miles into Maine.
Happy camping nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
Full Time Alumaloafer

1966 24' Tradewind
Livingston , Texas
Don't miss Wilmington, Vermont for the antique/flea market and excellent restaurants. There is also an antique mall called Camelot Village a bit further west in Bennington, VT. You'll find some good dining in that area as well.

Phillipians 4:13
louaxtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Connecticut
Salisbury Beach State Park in northern Massachusetts is a great home base...very close to the water, and a quick drive to Plum Island, a beautiful place to explore, with lots of trails, beaches and wildlife. From there you can easily drive to coastal New Hampshire and into southern Maine in less than an hour. The Marginal Way in Ogunquit in southern Maine is a great way to spend a morning, wandering along the cliff walk overlooking the ocean.
yikessue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We typically do the private parks when visiting New England; however, here's a website that was given to us by fellow Airstreamers years ago and we utilize it often www.uscampgrounds.info and I hope this helps you out. Have fun.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Vermont State Parks are wonderful but keep in mind that most of them are from the 1930s CCC-era, with tight turns and small campsites, and so only a few can accommodate RVs. Be sure to check before you go. Dump stations are available but hookups aren't.

Jamaica State Park in southern VT is a great one. Further north, near Lake Champlain, check out Button Bay State Park as well. Burlington's city park North Beach is very convenient to everything in the Queen City, and downtown Burlington.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Agree with Salisbury Beach

I second Salisbury Beach State Reservation on the northern Mass coast. We travel to PEI Canada every year for the summer and this has become one of our must stops. It is convenient to everything between Boston to Kittery Me. We were never happy with the private CG's in this area for various reasons but this stop is great and reasonable. They take reservations which I would recommend especially if your stay will be over a weekend.
GreggH
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Campobello/Lubec

I just noticed you would be coming from NB. You may have already been to Campobello but if not, this is another must stop on our way north. We stay at Sunset Point CG in Lubec, great sunsets out on a point.
GreggH
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Check out USFS camp sites. Nice but rustic
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
New Denmark , New Brunswick
Thank you so much
peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

North Fayston , Vermont
Stowe, Vermont, is a scenic town. Try Gold Brook Campground. North of Stowe are a few antique shops in Johnson and Jeffersonville. Lots of good restaurants in the area. Great hiking - Mount Mansfield and Camels Hump.

Woodstock, Vermont has the Billings Farm Museum There is a state park in Quechee, which is nearby. Big antique mall in Quechee.

The Champlain Islands are lovely and there are several state parks in the islands. Some good restaurants and a few antique shops along route 2.

Burlington, Vt is the largest city in Vt and is on Lake Champlain. Great town. Button Bay State Park , North Beach Campground and the Champlain Islands are nearby. Shelburne Museum is worth a visit. Lots of good restaurants in Burlington and actually all over Vermont. Several antique places in the Burlington area.

Middlebury, Vt and Branbury State Park is nice. There is an antique group shop in East Middlebury. Brandon, Vt has some nice restaurants along with Middlebury.

Vermont State Parks

If you want a more wilderness experience, Lake Francis State Park in northern NH. There are a dozen sites there that have water and electricity on the lake. Rainbow Grill Restaurant is good. Hard to imagine that this restaurant is in the North Woods.

Chewonki Campground in Wiscasset, Maine, is a lovely privately owned campground - park like - not very large - about 50 sites. Great location for Kayaking, antiquing, and eating.
northfayston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Elmore State Park, near Stowe, VT - no hookups but beautiful setting on a lake - worth boondocking for a few days - in the heart of the Green Mountains - GREAT hiking, antiquing, etc. in area - Lake Champlain (Burlington) 1 hour away for MAJOR kayaking. If you have "river" kayaks, float the Lamoille River from Johnson to Cambridge. Call Umiak Outfitters in Stowe for info details.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

North Fayston , Vermont
Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

How could one forget about the White Mountains in New Hampshire! Mount Washington is the highest mountain in the Northeast. You can hike, drive or take the cog railroad to the top. I vote for the railroad. There is also Crawford Notch and Franconia Notch. The Flumes are worthwhile in the summer heat. There are campgrounds along route 2 - private and public. I have stayed at Dolly Copp many years ago in a tent, but there are not many amenities. I believe there is a state park near Gorham.

Then there is Lake Winnipesaukee, the largest lake totally in the US. Small compared to Lake Champlain and the Great Lakes, but still 22 miles long. There are public and private campground on the lake. Book ahead.
northfayston is offline   Reply With Quote