Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2007, 12:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I'll be going up the 5 and coming down the 395.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey yous guys.....

If you get to Hood River (I-84 on the Columbia an hour East of Portland) be sure to give me a shout!!!

As they sais in Ernies Rib Shack in soutern LA yesterday 'LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULET' LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Lewster,

I'll be in Chiliquin you know right near Chemault

Then its back to Dorris in Ca.

In both places I'll be on huge ranches. If your in the area there will be room.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 06-23-2007, 10:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Day 2

HI again,

What a long day in the saddle.....but that's how I like to drive if I have somewhere to get to......

Left the Cracker Barrel about 70 miles East of Dallas at 8:00a local after a nice breakfast and a better nites sleep in the QUIET....deserted parking lot.

Drove 13.5 hours and arrived at klevan's Airstream Haven (you have to see this place) in Albuquerque after gaining 7000' in elevation along the drive. If anyone has to come up this way from the South, go to Fort Worth, take I-35W north and then pick up US 287. WHat a great road. Just like an interstate except for no on/off ramps and a few lights n the half dozen or so towns that you pass thru......very nice road!

I-20 in TX is another matter........GARBAGE!!! Here we are spending BILLIONS to destroy Iraq, then have Cheney's cronies at Halliburton and Bechtel re-build it (or try to) for more BILLIONS......and this coountry and it's great road system are going to hell in a handbasket.

SPEND THAT MONEY HERE WHERE IT IS BADLY NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(OK, off the soapbox)

I had to get a new camera, my old one has too large a format, so I saw a Best Buy in Amarillo, went careening off the road to reach it in their only mall, and now am the proud owner of a new Cannon EXILIM EX-V7. Very nice little machine.

All I need is a solid connection to up-load the shots. I'll try in the AM.

Thanks and good night!
Old 06-24-2007, 06:46 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Day 3 Begins

It's a perfect morning in ABQ......71 DRY degrees. A welcome change from the super hot/humid FL climate.

I changed the settings on my new camera, so let's see if any of these upload before the new millenium passes..............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0010.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	39796   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0012.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	39797  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0007.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	39798  
Old 06-24-2007, 06:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
It Worked!

Ya just gotta love the new technology!!!

OK, the first shot is the work line-up for today, starting with Blue Hwy Lady's trailer that needs the A/C re-mounted (delete the drip pan...it's a Carrier!) and install a new toilet.

Then my van, then my 19 CCD which will be 'home' for the next 4 months.

The next shot is Klevan's super building.....'Airstream Haven'......which is nicer than a lot of houses and sure makes a perfect shop (his A/S is tucked inside). I don't think I can work on it in the air conditioned comfort of the building though.......I'll get spoiled!!

And finally, a shot of my new 16" alloy rims and the BFG Commercial T/A tires.

More shots later...........................
Old 06-24-2007, 06:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Neat pics! YOu are in the dry heat part of the country. Lack of humidity is nice isnt it.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 06-24-2007, 08:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Yea, but it's a DRY heat.....

So I workied outside today...all day.Temps in the high 90's and got so hot that you couldn't touch the roof of the Airstream. Replaced an A/C today. Had to remove the Dometic drip pan, add 'U' channel between the skins as the GDPO didn't have it done and re-installed the Carrier Air V lo-pro.

Even though it was HOT I never broke a sweat and it was WAY more comfy than the awesome humidity ond sweatbaths of SW Florida.

Tomorrow.......another Carrier install.....this time a replacement for a really old Dometic. This one should be interesting to say the least!!!!!!

I should be here thru Tues if all goes according to plan, then off to Denver for some business meetings.

Stay tuned!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Day 6

Well,

The second Carrier project went quicker than expected and resulted in a nice, clean install on a '58 Airstream. With the outside temps hovering around 100, we fired that sucker up and let it run for a couple of hours.

When we returned, the inside temps were in the high 70's with a delta T of almost 30* (20 * temp differential is the industry standard.) Another great unit! Ken J will love his 26' rolling ice box now .

Got finished this afternoon and beat the traffic out of ABQ. Headed north on I-25 towards Denver for a business meeting tomorrow with the Aqua-Hot folks. I'm currently parked at a rest area just south of Colo. Springs.

Had to delay the trip a bit when VERY ominous looking clouds were hovering over Raton Pass in Northern NM. Turned on the weather radio and heard about the HAILthat was forecast for the pass in the next hour or two. Sat it out a bit and was ready to pull under the gas pump roof if necessary. Re-checked the locations, and they had passed to the East, so I went up the pass and didn't hit rain until Pueblo, CO.

A big thanks to klevan for offering his Airstream Haven as a work zone, Ken J for the opportunity to do his A/C and Blu-Hwy-Ldy for having her rig there as well for a few touch-up jobs left over from last year.

Well, time for a nappie.......more tomorrow