Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Rivet New England to Louisiana?

We are starting to consider a trip to New Orleans this winter or early Spring. Our route could be; I-95 to I-84, I-684 to I-287 to I-78 to Pennsylvania and I-81 south into Knoxville, then I-75S to Nashville/Chattanooga, to Birmigham then NOLA. (1500 miles, 23 hours)

Any suggestions to break this into two nights of stops?

Any suggestions for staying in or near NOLA? Safe?

We are interested in Cajun and Creole traditions and history. Suggestions for areas to visit or not to miss?

New England Unit....in Fun, Fellowship and Adventure.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Pam, Had you considered taking I-84 all the way to I-81 connection at Scranton, Pa and then drive South to Knoxville via I-81?
You could stay at Skyline Ranch, near Front Royal, Va. very nice..I would stay away from KOA in the area as they are rather hilly and the parking is very limited for the unit..
I believe that there is camping at the Endless Cavern, near by Luray, Va.
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Route questions for winter travel

I did think about that but then worried about winter travel, going down into Port Jervis and Scranton. It might actually be safer to stay to I-95 along the coast until we get far enough south to avoid snow and ice. What do you think?

Old 06-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm---if you are in Louisiana early May of 2010, several of us from the midwest are going to be there at that time, too. See "Louisiana exploration?". The best place near NOLA, we feel, is Bayou Segnette State Park, across the river from the French Quarter. Nice, cheap and a short drive from the free ferry that drops you off in the Quarter. We will be doing a caravan/rally thread for our trip early next year, which will let you know where we will all be and when. If you wanted to hook up with us, you would be more than welcome. Travel safe.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Certifiable

. , .
Thumbs up Great destination!

Check out the route through Beale Street in Memphis, TN or maybe Graceland or Dollywood. Nashville is another terrific town.

How about a stop at Mammouth Cave in KY?

And for me, the holy trinity of gastronomic delights is found within the NOLA, Austin, TX, Memphis triangle.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Yes.. you have the right idea..
I missed the "time of the year" for when you planned to do your traveling. Sorry..
I have actually driven one once or twice during those time of the year in that general area and, felt it was BEST to stick to the coast lines.
Cape May is a nice stop over..PM me for a wonderful location to stay overnight free..
Winter time can be tricky in NJ, of all places.
Several years ago, I drove just ahead of an "ice storm" working it's way up the coast behind me and, it proved to be a rather nasty icy storm for those folks along the NJ Pkway.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 06-25-2009, 03:50 AM   #7
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Hmmmm---if you are in Louisiana early May of 2010, several of us from the midwest are going to be there at that time, too. See "Louisiana exploration?". The best place near NOLA, we feel, is Bayou Segnette State Park, across the river from the French Quarter. Nice, cheap and a short drive from the free ferry that drops you off in the Quarter. We will be doing a caravan/rally thread for our trip early next year, which will let you know where we will all be and when. If you wanted to hook up with us, you would be more than welcome. Travel safe.
Thank you so much. I did see your thread and was very interested. I am weighing a winter trip vs. a spring trip. If we change to a Spring trip, we would definitely be interested in meeting up with your group. I am checking out festivals and events now, as well as trying to figure some plantation tours and cajun/creole historical sights. I have been to New Orleans and just loved it. My husband hasn't and I thought he'd really enjoy the visit. I will get back to you as we firm up our schedule. Thank you.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:53 AM   #8
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
avoiding the weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud View Post
Yes.. you have the right idea..
I missed the "time of the year" for when you planned to do your traveling. Sorry..
I have actually driven one once or twice during those time of the year in that general area and, felt it was BEST to stick to the coast lines.
Cape May is a nice stop over..PM me for a wonderful location to stay overnight free..
Winter time can be tricky in NJ, of all places.
Several years ago, I drove just ahead of an "ice storm" working it's way up the coast behind me and, it proved to be a rather nasty icy storm for those folks along the NJ Pkway.
ciao
53FC
Yes, I am avoiding the weather if we stay to a winter trip. Otherwise I will change to Spring and not worry. I re-mapped the route last night and am considering NJ Turnpike, then travel down the Del Marva Penninsula and 17 mile bridge/tunnel into VA and back out to I-95, then cut over through Atlanta, where we have a friend to visit with for a couple days. What do you think of that route?

Old 06-25-2009, 03:55 AM   #9
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
great ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
Check out the route through Beale Street in Memphis, TN or maybe Graceland or Dollywood. Nashville is another terrific town.

How about a stop at Mammouth Cave in KY?

And for me, the holy trinity of gastronomic delights is found within the NOLA, Austin, TX, Memphis triangle.
Thank you. I am trying to decide between a winter or early spring trip. Waiting for spring there would be lots of food festivals. That would be worth waiting for.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You could run into some weather all the way down to the Gulf, traveling in the winter, but you probably know that. We head south for a couple of months in January every year, and leave the summer clothes behind. It is quite chilly. If you want to do Mardi Gras or Jazz Fest, there is a very nice RV park on the edge of the French Quarter, French Quarter RV Park. You would want to get reservations in asap. Pricey, but very nice, secure and they have a free shuttle to Jazz Fest. That is an event where every Cajun food you could imagine is available for sale, also live music all day long. It is the last two weekends in April next year. If you are down there during either of those major events, you will need reservations near NOLA and will spend quite a bit more.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Crawdads and Zydeco

I regret not traveling south of NOLA to Cajun country. I think it would be fun going to one of the many "dance halls", listening to an authentic American born music, soaking up a unigue blend of cultures, and sampling the cuisine.

Do a search on Breaux Bridge
and Lafayette , Louisiana
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
I regret not traveling south of NOLA to Cajun country. I think it would be fun going to one of the many "dance halls", listening to an authentic American born music, soaking up a unigue blend of cultures, and sampling the cuisine.

Do a search on Breaux Bridge
and Lafayette , Louisiana
May, 2010, Dave----you could join us!

Had another thought that is pro-spring travel to Louisiana. The first 9-10 times we were down there, we were working, they were fairly short trips and always off-season, Nov-Feb. Since retiring nearly 2 years ago, we have been back at least a half-dozen times (who's counting), twice in early winter as we are heading south, in October on our way to a bicentennial celebration in southern MS (can't get anywhere near NOLA without going in for at least a day), also two longer, more leisurely, poking around trips in warmer weather.

Aside from flowers and trees being in bloom in April-May, the level and quality of music on the streets in NOLA really ramps up---i.e., we enjoyed a female trio outside the Cafe du Monde so much that we bought one of their CD's. A few days later, the extraordinary violinist appeared at Jazz Fest in the back-up band for Charmaine Neville!

Just a few thoughts to share. Whenever you go, you will love it.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Good point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Yes, I am avoiding the weather if we stay to a winter trip. Otherwise I will change to Spring and not worry. I re-mapped the route last night and am considering NJ Turnpike, then travel down the Del Marva Penninsula and 17 mile bridge/tunnel into VA and back out to I-95, then cut over through Atlanta, where we have a friend to visit with for a couple days. What do you think of that route?
Not sure of your total route but, When I go that way...I would go out to the NY thruway, I-87 and, it's just a short drop down to Route 17 in NJ..Which then bring you out to GSParkway. I usually stay to the far right at the toll booth as they are the wider ones.. Good news is: they have, in recent years, drop the number of toll booth.(combined them, so you have fewer stops)
You could chose two route...One is the NJTP down or, stay on the GSP all the way down to Cape May and, cross over on the Cape May Ferry..What a wonderful break in driving~! It's a great adventure..
Just before the 17 mile crossing, on the left hand side is a HUGE parking lot. Nice stop over for a break or overnight..I am thinking you are planning on taking I-64 thru Williamsburg to Richmond to pick up I-95?? If you get that far..over the bridge..You could stay at Holiday Travel Park on General Booth Blvd..EXCELLENT location and, the SUPER SITES are really Nice~! Alot to see and do from there..(they have 4 swimming pools/loads of comfort stations/ several fully loaded stores, etc..) If you go that way, you must try the local food..Paula Ford lives nearby...She knows all of the great ones~!!
Hope this helps...
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 06-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
If you want all things Cajun - look into the WBCCI Cajun Heritage Caravan. It is offered two times each spring. Details are at WBCCI.org. If you enjoy good food and good times. After it is over then relax in New Orleans. The total Louisiana good-times experience would be to do the Mardi Gras Rally and then find a calm place to rest before you do the caravan.

Jim
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #15
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
The Natchez Trace parkway runs from near Nashville to (near) New Orleans. Camping was free at a couple of the places on it. Speed limits are low, but - get this - the signs at Merriwether Lewis national monument were bilingual - English and French.
Apparently the French-Canadians use it as the way to get to NOLA. In our night at ML National Monument, half the vehicles had Quebec plates, so there may be something to it.

Would add to your cultural goal, I think
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
The world's greatest music festival happens last weekend of April - first weekend of May: The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, and this would be an excellent time to visit! If you come (and I get juried into the Crafts Area again) please stop by my booth (Rick Olivier Photography) and view 30 years of La./NOLA music photographs. It would be a shame to drive all the way down here and not go to at least one real Zydeco club and Cajun music club in the Greater Lafayette area, too. There's a wealth of tourism resources here (the State of LA can mail you a beautiful tour guide, write for one) and I also always recommend Fry/Posner's "Guide to Cajun Country" from Pelican Press. You can get a preview of my NO/LA photos at http://www.rickolivier.com and get a listen at my "Yat Rock" N.O. R&B band at Creole String Beans on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads .... hate to sound like an ad, but hey, you axe'd and ah'm a-tellin' ;-)
rico in N.O. aka fotochop
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #17
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Get your gifts in NO, but don't stop!
Head south to real Cajun Country...
Raceland, Thibidaux, Houma, Morgan City, Dulac
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #18
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
All things Cajun is appealing

Thank you all for great suggestions and advice. I love the idea of maybe waiting until early Spring to head down to NO. I also appreciate the information about heading south into Cajun country. That would be perfect!

I am continuing reseaching and will try to focus on the time of year to head down.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #19
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Cajun definitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop View Post
The world's greatest music festival happens last weekend of April - first weekend of May: The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, and this would be an excellent time to visit! If you come (and I get juried into the Crafts Area again) please stop by my booth (Rick Olivier Photography) and view 30 years of La./NOLA music photographs. It would be a shame to drive all the way down here and not go to at least one real Zydeco club and Cajun music club in the Greater Lafayette area, too. There's a wealth of tourism resources here (the State of LA can mail you a beautiful tour guide, write for one) and I also always recommend Fry/Posner's "Guide to Cajun Country" from Pelican Press. You can get a preview of my NO/LA photos at http://www.rickolivier.com and get a listen at my "Yat Rock" N.O. R&B band at Creole String Beans on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads .... hate to sound like an ad, but hey, you axe'd and ah'm a-tellin' ;-)
rico in N.O. aka fotochop
Rick, thanks for writing. I visited your website. Loved the images. I also listened to your Creole String Beans....Loved it too. Thanks for sharing the information.

I was in NOLA many years ago and stayed in the French Quarter at the "W" hotel for a week. Did a lot of touring, tasting, listening and just loved it.
We went to the Crawfish Festival in NJ this past Spring and I got interested in the Cajun culture and music all over again.

I think you are right about coming down at the beginning of May for the festival.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #20
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Pam- A wonderful trip for sure and you really want to head south of NO. There is so much to see if you don't mind the spanish moss, alligators and.........

Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote