Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Need Ca. camping ideas

I hope I'm not out of line with this request. We're now living in San Francisco, had to leave Wanda (our 79 Excella mh) in Texas in the middle of a major remodel. In order to take advantage of this beautiful area until we get Wanda finished and out here, we bought a 79 Barth 21' in excellent condition. We prefer National, State or Regional Parks. Thanks for any help and forgive us for running around in a sob for a few months...joe...
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
You might want to follow the thread "Impromptu Photo Rallies in CA" for posts on California attractions. I've started the thread, but more needs to be done to flesh out the possibilities. In San Francisco, you are equidistant from both ends of the state. That's ideal.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
We'd need to know what you like to do, what your range of weather tolerance is, and what kinds of things you like to see (ocean, mountains, desert).

This is a good site:

http://www.recreation.gov/

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Springfield , Oregon
South of San Francisco

The Gabilan Mountains, South of Hollister, driving down the East side of the Mountains. Pinnacles National Monument is in the Gabilan Mountains. Check out the timing for the spring wildflowers.
Anita
Air 6530
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
My husband & I did a loop from S.F. to yosemite and camped at Stanislaus National Forest right outside Yosemite.

www.fs.fed.us/r5/stanislaus

It was right on a river and the Hetchetchedy resivoir was right down the road and an absolutely incredible sight. Well worth the trip and about 45 min outside of Yosemite.
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

We love all terrains. Desert, coast, mountains and lakes. Our only requirement is dog friendly. We travel with our 4 rescues, Ruby, Smudge, Coco and Stella. All are tiny except for Coco the chocolate lab. Thanks for the help. ...joe...
Old 02-19-2006, 10:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
of course there are many possibilities but a must stop would have to be Pfeiffer State Park in Big Sur. There are few places on Earth as sweet as camping on the Big Sur River under Redwoods. Sweeeet.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Great idea Big Dee...we will land in Big Sur within two weeks...thanks for the suggestion...joe...
Old 02-20-2006, 10:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Joe, Big Sur has several other campground locations as well. There are some great spots along the river, This time of year is off season, so your selection for sites is endless. Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
RVLover,

My wife and I plan to go to Big Sur on Thursday, March 16th, and stay for a few days. Then, perhaps on Sunday, we'll head over to Pinnacles and leave for home on Tuesday, March 21st. If that overlaps your schedule, perhaps we could meet somewhere.

Since this is sort of the start of the season, perhaps others might join in.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 02-20-2006, 10:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalview
Joe, Big Sur has several other campground locations as well. There are some great spots along the river, This time of year is off season, so your selection for sites is endless. Jeff
Jeff,

Do you have a favorite campground among the choices at the northern end of Big Sur? We plan a 2 or 3 day visit, but might stay a bit longer, so one with hookups is preferred.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 02-20-2006, 11:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Mike, attached is a useful link:
http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/camping.html
1. Pfeiffer (just about any site)
2. Big Sur Campground and Cabins (sites 92,93 concrete pads, or 99,100)
3. Fernwood (most sites are along the river) Don't be nervous when you see their entrance, the road disappears down a steep grade to the river!
Skip the Riverside Campground, very small parallel sites
There are no full hookups in Big Sur that I know of. Jeff
Old 02-20-2006, 11:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalview
1. Pfeiffer (just about any site)
2. Big Sur Campground and Cabins (sites 92,93 concrete pads, or 99,100)
3. Fernwood (most sites are along the river) Don't be nervous when you see their entrance, the road disappears down a steep grade to the river!
Skip the Riverside Campground, very small parallel sites
There are no full hookups in Big Sur that I know of. Jeff
My recollection is that Pfeiffer is the first one you encounter coming down from the north. No hookups but convenient setting. I think we may have stayed at Fernwood (or it could have been Big Sur) many years ago with our VW Westfalia Camper. What I remember most was the steep grade down to a very narrow bridge across the river. Our site was backed up against a hillside. So, of the two with water and electricity, Big Sur and Fernwood, which is easier to navigate towing a 25-foot trailer and being new to the maneuvering bit?

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 02-20-2006, 11:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Mike, Big Sur Campgrounds and Cabins, is by far easier to maneuver into. If you are heading south, You will pass the River Inn on your right (first establishment in Big Sur), just pass the Inn 500 yards, is The Big Sur Campgrounds and Cabins, 2nd. is Riverside Campgrounds( keep going), 3rd. is Fernwood Campgrounds,( entrance just past their motel and store on Hwy 1, and looks like a private driveway) and then Pfiffer State Park on the left.
Jeff
Old 02-20-2006, 11:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
ohhhh come on guys. the private campgrounds dont hold a candle to pfeiffer. if u dont need elect, then it's pfeiffer all the way. and Jeff is right, just about any site at pfeiffer is nice, except for a few in the wide open. the sites are very spaceous and lots of privacy in many. also great showers. plus many, many hiking trials. u can't say that about the private parks. but really, just staying anywhere in that place is a natural high and you can't go wrong. it's just plain sweet!

Come rally with us.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
True about Pfeiffer being the premier location, but if you need a few can't live withouts, the private campgrounds are good for that. You can always visit Pfeiffer during the day. Jeff
Old 02-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
austin , Texas
oh you are killing me!

we just moved from santa cruz to austin. AND we just sold our 72 22' barth (new owner lives in mendocino)

anyhow, hands down our favorite camping spot IS limekiln. it's a/b a 45 minute drive south of big sur. they don't allow rigs over 24 ft

we always stop at nepenthe for a snack beverage.

don't foget anything b/c civilization is far and expensive (can you say 4.50 for a can of beans)

it's great because it's somewhat small, you'l lbe right on the beach and yet by a stream, the trail goes into a ravine alont the stream and you will have several water crossings (balance required) and at the end you will be rewarded with a 50 ft water fall.

more LK pics here

http://www.schusterphoto.com/limekiln/index.html

obligatory barth pic (in baja)

fuegos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:47 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for all the great sugestions...Mike, we plan to visit both Big Sur and Pinaccles soon so maybe we can over lap with you...I would love to see your rig...We're heading to the Sonoma Coast tomorrow for a shakedown trip...joe...
Old 02-25-2006, 11:31 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Camping in California

Yosemite!!! My favorite place to be. Go before mid May,the crowds will be smaller and the waterfalls will be at full flow. Sunday thru Thursday are the best. Make reservations online for the valley floor. Most of the other campgrounds can be done on a first come-first serve basis. Wawona is open year round,the rest won't open till the snow melts. Joshua Tree is a great place in the desert,close to Palm Springs. Be sure to take the tram-way to Mt. San Jacinto. Hwy 4, east of Angels Camp begins the Ebbetts Pass Scenic Byway is beautiful,Calaveras Big Trees State Park makes a great base camp to explore further up the Pass. Lots of other camp grounds can be found at the higher elevations,check about road and snow conditions. I have camped all over California for the past 30 years and have found numerous out of the way destinations, contact me for more of the lesser known places. Mark
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Hey S C Streamer- Welcome to the forum. I think you are the first one from Santa Cruz that i have seen. Just wanted to extend an invitation to the NorCal Forum Rally in April along the Russian River. It would be great to meet you and hear about some out-of-the-way camping spots you have found over the years. Join us if you can.

Come rally with us.