Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Missouri to Moab....a hopeful summer trip.

Tonight the family went out to dinner with my mother for my birthday, and a few discussions came up about travel. I was talking about taking some time and heading out west since I have never been.

Since Amy cannot get time off, I wasn't really considering a cross country trip with Collin in the back seat for a long boring drive by himself. My mother chimed in that she would love to head out west to an area like Moab, UT. I have heard a lot of good things about sights in this area, and I am interested in hearing what people familiar with the area have to say about it (Sound off FCU members).

I am sure there are some nice sites to see on the way out west, and hopefully many places to courtesy park .

The trip is tentative for the beginning of August, so any special events that may be going on would be nice to hear about as well.

Steve
Old 06-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Hi Steve, I don't know how much time you have on your trip and a lot depends on that and what you want to do between MO and MOab. If you have the time, some side trips through Colorado would be nice. One nice route would be through southern Colorado....Durango, San Juan Mtns., Mesa Verde NP...on to 4 corners and Monument Valley and up to Moab.

Of course, Arches NP and Canyonlands NP are a must see. I would estimate a minimum of 3 days for this area...more if you want to explore in detail. It will most likely be hot that time of year, so a campgound with power to run the AC would be nice. We stayed at Archview Campground about 4 miles north of Moab and it was nice. Full hookups, nice views, gas station, store, and it's right across from the road to Canyonlands NP.

Moab is a small town and very touristy. It's quite fun though and there are some good restaurants and shopping. There are plenty of outdoor type businesses that cater to things like 4WD adventures, mountain bike tours and rentals, etc. The wole area is beautiful with the red rocks and the Green/Colorado River. Enjoy tour trip!!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Hotter than a pistol..

I love Moab, especially for mountain biking. I pretty much rule it out from late May to late September as is hotter than a blast furnace. Dry, but hot. It is hard to just stay hydrated watching TV!
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
What about the Rocky Mountain VAC Rally Aug 7-10 for the return trip?

2008 VAC Rally Information

Moab is a FANTASTIC place, but be prepared that it will be HOT in August. Rent a Jeep for the day and go play! As was already mentioned, Arches NP is a must see, as is Canyonlands NP. On the way back, see the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde, see Ouray, CO (and rent another Jeep for some fantastic mountains views!) and pop up to Salida for RMVAC rally.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Happy Birthday!

Hi Steve,

I have a bunch of photos from Moab from the late ’80s (before mountain biking) that I use for screen savers and desktops. Give me a few days and I’ll send them to you.

Believe me, it is spectacular! Amy is going to be jealous, though. Be forewarned.

I spent my time wandering thought the Arches with the theme from the Magnificent 7 (Marlborough commercial music, for those who remember) going through my head. It really looks like the American west in all its glory.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
There may be an issue with the heat since I will have Collin with me. Seeing sites is nice, but I have to think about his comfort, and how if he isn't comfy that I will hear about it. I am trying to avoid going over some steep graded mountains as I am towing a 29' beast with a 1/2 ton chevy.

Steve
Old 06-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Moab

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
There may be an issue with the heat since I will have Collin with me. Seeing sites is nice, but I have to think about his comfort, and how if he isn't comfy that I will hear about it. I am trying to avoid going over some steep graded mountains as I am towing a 29' beast with a 1/2 ton chevy.

Steve
Hi Steve,

It will be an absolute furnace. When I was there in the late ’80s, I hiked up to the Delicate Arch (forgive no image uploads, quota issue) I met a 60’s couple with no water. I flagged down someone returning from the arch that still had water and asked them to give it to them (I didn’t take water, against all common sense and USPS directives because at that time I was trained in hi-temp activities and the distance was short {3 miles or so [but, as it turned out, brutally uphill]}, now I would bring extra for others, just in case). They were ok, but it could have gotten ugly.

If there is no way to keep Collin cool, bring all 3 of you back another time.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We were in Moab last year after the Vintage Airstream Rally in Breckenridge, CO. While there we visited Canyonlands and Arches National Parks. Both great sights.

If you like Diner food, try the Moab Diner. They have a green chile sauce to die for. It is not HOT at all, but very tasty and they put it on lots of stuff including Hamburgers. The will sell you some to go if you ask. Really good.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
It is not HOT at all, but very tasty and they put it on lots of stuff including Hamburgers.
Then what’s the point?
Old 06-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #10
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Hot temps, great biking, spectacular scenery

Check the average temps in August for Moab on Weather.com. It's beautiful, though, and the biking is awesome. You can always cool off on a raft or duckie trip on the chocolate-colored Colorado river. If you go on an overnighter, they'll cook you a fancy dinner. I've only been in the spring, and it was hot enough. I believe my latest trip to Moab has been mid-June for that raft trip.

First two are on the Colorado River just outside Moab, camped across from Fisher Towers; the saguaro cactus is near Tucson, AZ, and the fourth biking pic is on Lion's Loop of the Kokopelli Trail near Fruita, Colo. The final pic is of me after we got snowed out of the final day of our Kokopelli trip on May 5, 2007; we came out Onion Creek and crossed the creek 26 times in the snow, sleet and rain. Epic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1896.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	61789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1908.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	61790  

Name:	IMG_2669.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	61791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3528.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	61792  

Name:	IMG_3551.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	61793  
Old 06-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I have been to Moab on several occasions. I have been there in august with it 105 to 108 in the shade, and that is just BRUTAL.

Riverside Oasis RV Park on the north side of the Colorado River bridge has large trees and shade. Pasta Jay's has some of the best Italian you can sink a fork into.

I have also been to Moab with the monsoon in full force and it gets to about 95 and about 2 pm thunderstorms move across and cool things off to mid 70s the rest of the day....HINT: Pray for a strong monsoon for the shade of clouds and showers.
And if it is hotternhell, you could stop short of Moab and just stay in Colorado's mountains.

There are several photos at the link below in my photostream of the area around Moab.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
Check the average temps in August for Moab on Weather.com. It's beautiful, though, and the biking is awesome. You can always cool off on a raft or duckie trip on the chocolate-colored Colorado river. If you go on an overnighter, they'll cook you a fancy dinner. I've only been in the spring, and it was hot enough. I believe my latest trip to Moab has been mid-June for that raft trip.

First two are on the Colorado River just outside Moab, camped across from Fisher Towers; the saguaro cactus is near Tucson, AZ, and the fourth biking pic is on Lion's Loop of the Kokopelli Trail near Fruita, Colo. The final pic is of me after we got snowed out of the final day of our Kokopelli trip on May 5, 2007; we came out Onion Creek and crossed the creek 26 times in the snow, sleet and rain. Epic.
Again,

Please pack extra water to share. Arches is a tremendous draw, and people will set out on hikes that they shouldn’t without water, It doesn’t seem like a big deal from the signs, but it is easy for people who are not heat acclimated (extreme heat acclimated, in this case) to get into trouble.

Really, don’t you want to be able to help? Especially when all it takes is a little water? Consider it for all hot-weather destinations.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Again,

Please pack extra water to share. Arches is a tremendous draw, and people will set out on hikes that they shouldn’t without water, It doesn’t seem like a big deal from the signs, but it is easy for people who are not heat acclimated (extreme heat acclimated, in this case) to get into trouble.

Really, don’t you want to be able to help? Especially when all it takes is a little water? Consider it for all hot-weather destinations.
Totally agree. I have encountered people in extreme heat distress on the trail. You need air temp water, not ice water as you don't want to put someone with heat exhaustion into shock.

Also, bottled water has much of the minerals needed for electolytes purified out of it. We buy powdered gatorade to mix into the water bottles. Just pour out a half a shot glass of water and replace that volume of powdered gatorade through a funnel, recap and shake to mix. Drinking this will keep you hydrated and your electolytes balanced.

Park personnel regularly encounter people who are adequately hydrated but have sweated out all their electrolytes and are in extreme physical danger of heart failure, etc. due to electrolyte imbalance.

We also carry salty snacks such as trail mix made with salt nuts and M&Ms and raisins to keep energy levels up and eletrolytes balanced.

Be prepared, don't be a statistic.

AIR # 410
Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 PM   #14
_

. , .
not only will utah be ridiculously unpleasant in august...

crossing ks will be just as hot PLUS humid, so boondocking, rest stopping or walmarting...

will be horrible.

crossing colorado WILL be an extreme challenge for your tow vehicle...

and there isn't that much to do in the moab area IF you aren't a biker or hiker type, with heat seasoning...

skip going west in august, if u can't make it to the pacific NORTHwest...

go to wezzconsin (the dells) or minnetota (the boundry waters) or meeshegan (or any great lake area)...

your truck can handle the grades going north...

it may be hot, but not nearly as bad as mo or utah and the skeeters can be trained...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
You can get to Estes Park without too huge a climb from the east...Mizzou...and then leave the trailer in the RV park and spend your time in Rocky Mountain NP....it will even cool off at night there!

AIR # 410
Old 06-05-2008, 06:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Four months after having a knee replacement I took my Airstream and hit the road to Moab. Yes....it was hot there, however, I had a great time and even got a nine mile hike in.

When in the desert, limit your hiking and outdoor activities to mornings and evenings. The afternoons are good times to shop in air conditioned stores and for naps.

There are a lot less people there in the hotter months but, hey.....it's the desert. Don't let it stop you from having fun.....drink lots of water and have fun!
Old 06-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
We are doing a southern Utah vacation at the end of August and yes, it will be hot! But being a desert climate it is a dry heat and we Missourian are used to humidity. We were there a couple of years ago and I recall saying "it doesn't feel like 100" but beware, it will suck moisture right out of you! Drink lots of water!
SweetStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Moab. Let me add some depth to the story by noting that modern eco-terrorism sprang in large measure from the experiences and thoughts of Edward Abbey, who was a ranger at Arches (just outside of Moab) in its early days as a national monument. To get feel for this, read Abbey's Desert Solitaire. Read reviews here. Abbey's consternation with modern development is evident there, at least in hindsight. The truely radical story springs from Abbey's thoughts on Glen Canyon Dam: Read Monkey Wrench Gang. Read reviews here.)

Hayduke lives!

Lynn
Old 06-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #19
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
More than just a terrorist...

"One final paragraph of advice: Do not burn yourself out. Be as I am – a reluctant enthusiast... a part time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it is still there. So get out there and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, encounter the grizz, climb the mountains. Run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, that lovely, mysterious and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey
(my favorite of his writings) Jo
Old 06-07-2008, 12:48 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post

Steve

Steve, i just spent close to a month in Utah traveling all around to the parks, you will probably cook out there in Aug. I doubt it would be fun that time of year.

Also, i have a 2007 5.3 half ton silverado with a 23 ft in tow. Your AS must be heavier than mine, coming off big grades cooks brakes even in first gear. I have been on more than 12% grades so far, be carefull where you go. I was on a real bad one right before dark last night, over 12% grades and the worst switch backs i have ever seen. I still can't believe the truck went up it, my wife was horrified, me too, lol.

When i got down, i was driving so slow a cop pulled me over to ask me if i was lost, my hands were still shaking. He couldn't believe i pulled a trailer up there. The higher i went, the skinnier the road got. Be carefull with such a big AS with a half ton on grades. Now i agree with all of the guys that said, half tons are not the greatest with anything over a 19ft. I'm not saying it can't be done, but be carefull. Iv'e been all over Tenn, NC ect, the grades are not the same, the grades out west can last for miles. If diesel wasn't over 5 bucks a gallon i'd be buying one right now, one with the big air brakes, while i'm on vacation right now.
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moab, utah