Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Murray , Utah
Maiden Voyage with 1969 Overlander

Last weekend we took the Airstream out for its maiden voyage. We purchased the trailer in July and began the restoration. Still not complete, but the work was done to the point where we could take the trailer out. The kids had been bugging me since we bought it to take it out so we burned the midnight oil to finish the floor, drapes, wiring, and propane tanks so we could travel to Green River State Park in Green River, Utah with family and thier SOB.

Sorry I have not been posting regularly on the progress of the semi-restoration. Things are busy with work, family, working on the Airstream, and still trying to have some fun. But here are a few shots of the floor going in and the kids helping.

There is still a ton of work to be done such as the entire bathroom and all plumbing including the water heater but we were just planning on keeping the doors to the bathroom closed this weekend. I don't even have any pictures to show you how ugly the bathroom is right now...

Since it was UEA (Utah Education Assocation) weekend and the kids were out of school on Thursday and Friday, we loaded up on Friday morning for Green River. It is only 180 miles form SLC and an easy pull. The Suburban did very well and I have no complaints. And this is even pulling the trailer without somekind of weight distributing or stabilizing hitch.

Here we are after pulling into site 29.

Here we are the first night. This is the entire fam. Cole, Riley, Sid, Andy (me), Zoe, and my wife Debi. What a rowdy bunch. Check out the handywork on the drapes that Debi sewed. They went on my special drapery rods made from 1/2 copper pipe.

Saturday morning gave me the opportunity to flip the first pancake on the stove. Sorry that you have turn your monitor on its side to see this one.

It rained most of the day, but it didn't stop us from having fun playing Blongo Ball and Track Ball. Plus Riley had to give us a handsome pose.

Saturday day was an eventful day for me and this project that my kids lovingly call the big rolling silver turd (thanks to the movie RV). I had just barely put on the propane tanks and really didn't know what/if any of the appliances worked. The fridge was not working while plugged in at home and I was hoping that on LP it would work. So I lit it up and within 30 minutes it was cold and actually froze the milk overnight. The furnace pilot lit after several attempts and blew hot air within minutes. It wasn't quite cold enough to run the furnace overnight, but at least I know that it works. And I gave the oven a proper cleaning and it too fired right up. I was so excited we just had to make brownies.

You have no idea how happy I was knowing that all the appliances work (haven't touched the water heater yet, that will happen next month). My joy was so great that it outweighed having to wake up on Saturday night to try to stop a leaky skylight. I had to run a bead of Vulkem on the inside of the makeshift skylight that one of the PO's had put in. Just a temporary fix to keep us dry.

Sunday before heading for home we went southwest to Goblin Valley State Park to see some sites. It is an amazing place and is absolutely a blast to run around on terrain that has to resemble Mars. Because of the rain it was a little muddy but we were having too much fun to worry.

Here we are leaving the campground ready to head for home. Sure wished we could have stayed longer.

Our maiden voyage was an extreme success even without any plumbing in the trailer. The kids had a blast and we can't wait to get out again this year before the snow flies.

Thanks for everyones help so far in answering my questions about fixing up our 69 Overlander and I am sure I will be asking more questions in the future. But hopefully I will be posting more trip reports like this.

Regards,

69 Overlander
01 Suburban
Hind-Sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
What a great maiden voyage......

....great pics........super description.......and I'm sure you're a hero with your kids! Nice laminate flooring......looks like a diy project! You are an inspiration to many on these forums to "get out there" and "go camping" with their family in their vintage units! We really enjoyed our time in Utah at Canyonlands and Arches...........soon we will be in Bryce Canyon and beyond to enjoy the great Southwest as retirees! Keep us appraised of your progress and travels!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:29 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
This is what it's all about....

A friend from the UK asked me what Airstreaming was all about just yesterday. I've send him the link to this thread since what you and your family are doing is exactly what it's all about

nice job.

Doug

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Maiden Voyage with 1969 Overlander

Thanks for sharing the photos and story. You have a beautiful family and trailer.....Enjoy!!!pjpoll
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Andy and Family, What a super report. We bought our 67 GT in July and have been doing some of the same projects. We are in colder climate area
New York State and we needed to Winterize and could not take a trip this
season. We hope to come early Spring. Thanks for sharing your advernture.
Anne
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:37 PM   #6
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks for sharing the report on the trip and the restoration. after just tearing out the shower, sink and toilet on mine, I needed a reminder of why I'm doing this.

Like the idea of the copper pipe for the drapes. I may just steal it!
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote