Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Georgia's FDR State Park

We will head up to Franklin Delano Roosevelt State Park later this year, which is near Callaway Gardens in Georgia (southwest of Atlanta, northeast of Columbus).

Anyone else been to this park?

I want to do some footwork on the Pine Mountain Trail. I've heard there is a waterfall somewhere, but I can't figure out where it is, trail wise.

I've been to FDR's Little White House, where the president died. Anything else recommended nearby?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FDR STATE PARK-Georgia.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	331576  
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Brooks , Georgia
I can’t think of any falls close to Roosevelt. Could you be thinking of High falls park?

They have a pool close to the little White House that they used to fill up a couple times a year that Rosevelt used. I’m not sure if they still do that.

After seeing the park I think Roosevelt liked it because he could stay with his girlfriend.
Slimpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
We stayed in FDR park last year, had a great time. If you go in the summer time the pool in open. It was closed when we were there. We also toured the Little White House and the hot springs therapy place in the nearby town. That pool is no longer filled with water, but it's an interesting place to tour.

When we stayed at FDR reservations were not site specific. That may or may not have changed. It worked out for us though, as there were two sites left - one in the loop with all the kids running amuck in it and one in the quiet loop. We picked the pull through in the quiet loop.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
We stayed at FDR last Christmas. It is a lovely park. We went to the top of the mountain where FDR used to picnic. The BBQ grill is still there. We also toured the house and the springs. Callaway Gardens is nearby in Pine Mountain, and especially pretty at Christmas with their light display. The little town of Warm Springs is quaint...antique and gifts shops. Pine Mountain a sweet little place as well, also lined with antique shops. We drove around and chose our site...we too selected the "quieter" upper loop. There is a pool located outside the camping area and there is horseback riding tours available. There is also an animal safari in Pine Mountain. We didn't have time to go , but a fellow teacher has gone twice and says it's a hoot. I think it's kind of like Lion Country Safari, where you drive through and the animals stick their heads in your car.....you can rent a van if you don't want animal slobber in your car. We met another couple who told us about a "Grand Canyon" like park within a couple of hours south west of FDR. I don't recall the name, but it's in Georgia, and on our bucket list. We loved FDR and we are anxious to go back! Only 5 more years until we retire! [emoji4]
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpockets View Post
I can’t think of any falls close to Roosevelt. Could you be thinking of High falls park?
"Falls" may be an exaggeration.

I thought there was some sort of falling water you can reach via the Pine Mountain Trail. Nothing to drive out of the way to see, I don't imagine.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Zeppelin View Post
When we stayed at FDR reservations were not site specific. That may or may not have changed.
Must be something new. The park now offers site reservations online.

We've reserved one down by the lake. Probably not the "quiet" loop!

I don't mind kids running around, as long as things settle down by nightfall. It's Bubba with his boombox who is the most likely suspect for evening racket.

Interesting that there is no senior discount. I thought Georgia used to offer that.

Don't most state parks?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Georgia's FDR State Park

Back when we had a Pop Up we took our 3 girls and spent 2 nights on one of the higher sites.(lots of memories) we had some high winds the first night, but rode it out, the second night the high winds turned into a light Tornado [emoji946]. I got up and hooked the 9 Passenger Pontiac to the trailer. Still didn’t feel comfortable, woke Kids up and got them into the Blue goose.... I got in and felt safe.... Wife kept screaming about the Sky is Falling.... after 10 minutes the Kid’s told me that they couldn’t cook..... soooo I finally let her in the Car.
That lead me to come up with some tie downs for the trailer.
There is a Naval museum in Columbus, Ga that I found very interesting as they had. The a complete Confederate gun boat.
The Canyon you spoke of is the Little Grand Canyon.
It is very interesting and was formed less then 130 years ago.
The cause was formed from poor farming techniques and water run off.
There is a Army museum at the Army base just south of Columbus and a tour of Calloway Gardens is nice outing.
If you play Golf there is a beautiful course. Great area for bike riding with paved trails.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2396.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	655.0 KB
ID:	331673
DSteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
We love FDR. It was the first place we camped with our Airstream.

We were just there for the weekend in January (right about this time six years ago). It was cool, but not cold. We were inside about dinner time and had a knock on the door from the ranger. She said we must get to the bath house immediately as a tornado was heading to the campground. We decided that we should put the awning up, and while were messing with it (this being the first time we had ever put it up), the ranger came back. We thought she was going to yell at us for not getting to the bath house. Fortunately she was there to tell us the tornado went another way and we were no longer in danger.

As to what to do at the park, be sure to go to FDR's statue where he liked to barbecue. Great views, and beautiful even when foggy.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #9
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
There are a series of falls on the trail; Csonka Falls, Big Rock Falls, Slippery Rock Falls, and Cascade Falls. They are near the Bumblebee Ridge (tent) Campsite.

Here is a link to a pic:https://www.atlantatrails.com/fd-roo...ountain-trail/

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
There are a series of falls on the trail; Csonka Falls, Big Rock Falls, Slippery Rock Falls, and Cascade Falls. They are near the Bumblebee Ridge (tent) Campsite.

Here is a link to a pic:https://www.atlantatrails.com/fd-roo...ountain-trail/
Many thanks, SeeMore!
Old 01-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
the army museum mentioned is the National Infantry Museum. Visit if you have the opportunity. Tuskegee, Alabama is about 90 minutes away, home of the Tuskegee Airman of WWII fame.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:37 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
I’ll third the recommendation to visit the National Infantry Museum at Ft Benning. It is an awesome museum and free. I’ve also done the animal safari park and it was fun. The animals will mob your car trying to get food.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Wander down to Columbus GA and go whitewater rafting at the whitewater park.

http://www.whitewaterexpress.com/chattahoochee/

While there visit the infantry museum .

https://nationalinfantrymuseum.org/

For a change from the "mountains" stay at R. Shaefer Heard, COE RV park. on West Point lake.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232683
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
Wander down to Columbus GA and go whitewater rafting at the whitewater park.
Whitewater in Columbus, Georgia ... go figure!

Thanks for the links.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Another big fan of this park. Wooded with nice hiking trails. Callaway Gardens is great for biking and they do rent bikes there. Go to the tea room in downtown Pine Mountain ( Rose cottage ) for lunch or to pick up a loaf of rustic bread. There’s a great restaurant in the town next door that the locals frequent. Hunters Pub in Hamilton. Great steaks and seafood. Low key atmosphere.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Norcross , Georgia
Providence Canyon

Providence Canyon nearby is also worth checking out. It’s a mini-Bryce Canyon caused by erosion from poor early farming techniques. The trails are actually the bottom of the canyons in dry and wet stream beds. Google it for pics.
PaulR-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Providence Canyon ... I've seen photos (but not yet visited).

Hard to believe bad farming techniques could trigger that kind of erosion.

I've read that it has a good trail there, too.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Atlanta , Georgia
FDR State Park

The waterfalls you are probably referring to are known as Wolfden Falls. Located in the north east corner of the state park a 1.8 mile hike each way from the parking area at the junction of Georgia Highway 190 and US 27, It is about a 12 to 15 foot falls into a pool located in a grotto with the small cave under an overhanging granite ledge. It is about a 12 to 15 foot falls into a pool located in a grotto with a small cave under an overhang and granite ledge. A few other smaller sluices are located along the trail to the Falls. About 25 to 30 miles of singletrack hiking trails are included within the state park crisscrossing Highway 190. Hiking maps are available at the state park office
Nearby Warm Springs and Pine Mountain offer shops and eateries and Callaway Gardens is beautiful in early to mid April when azaleas and dogwoods are usually in full bloom
drcamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #19
RV Engineer

1995 34' Excella
1977 27' Overlander
Winder , Georgia
FDR great

I went there a lot as a kid. Really enjoyed it. Providence Canyon is cool.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Providence_Canyon_State_Park

Bicycling at Calloway Gardens and butterfly house is fun.
AtlantaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcamo View Post
The waterfalls you are probably referring to are known as Wolfden Falls.
Yes, Wolfden Falls, that's it.

Definitely will check it out.

Thanks for the info.