Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Traveling from Maine into Nova Scotia and Quebec City

Hi very helpful ASer's. We are heading into Nova Scotia and then Quebec City. Do we need to do a ferry to Nova Scotia? Campgound recommendations?
Also, RV parks or Provential parks around Quebec City. Thanks in advance
tburnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Last summer we went out to the tip of Cape Breton, doing the Cabot Trail, from NH, drive was easy and nice enough. We found that the ferry was going to be about the same amount of time and a LOT greater expense, so that depends on how you feel about the drive. If your going out that far, then the campground at Cheticamp would be my recommendation, getting there is easy enough without having to drag the trailer around the Trail, the ups and downs and construction can be severe, so best to do it without the trailer. No experience with Quebec yet, so I can't help there.

Good luck
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You might enjoy reading this Lucy Has Escaped thread IMO:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ed-152034.html

Starting with Post #63 they wind their way down east in Maine and head for Nova Scotia. Great photos and comments from moosetags.

We bypassed Nova Scotia for a couple of trips to PEI many years ago, but taking the ferry from southern Maine certainly saves you a bunch of time and miles if you want to see NS mainly.

Have a great trip!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
We drove coastal Maine all the way to Campabella Island, stopped to visit the offshore islands with the puffins from Eastwick, and crossed into New Brunswick. Then drove (a long way) into Nova Scotia.
Do the loop road around Cape Breton, don't miss Lunenburg and Peggy's Cove.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
John Hester

2012 31' Classic
Lacey , Washington
Nova Scotia

We did a great road trip from Seattle to Nova Scotia about a year ago. Stopped in upper NY for a visit to thousand islands, on to Montreal, Quebec, thru New Brunswick, Bay of Fundy, then over to Nova Scotia. Peggy's Cove, Lunenberg, Halifax, Louisbourg then Baddeck. Stayed in Baddeck and took a day to go around on the Cabot Trail without trailer, of course. Then down Cape Breton to get a ferry over to PEI. Stayed at a great campground in New Glasgow. Took the Confederate bridge on return, then down to East Port, Maine. Unforgettable trip.
John Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
S/OS #005

2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
I just looked for 'Provincial Parks" around Quebec City & did not see one but KOA & a couple private parks. Google 'Provincial Parks" We also have National Parks. A few years back we pulled our trailer to east coast but also found pets were not allowed in Quebec's Provincial Parks so watch for that when booking. Quebec City is wonderful & does get very busy especially in good weather so book early. Re down east, again some wonderful parks both Provincial & National. You can likely order booklets on each provinces parks. Wonderful trip.
JACQUIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
We wanted to find a boat that would take us to the island where the Puffins come to nest. Someone told us to go to the next town East Port and ask for Bill at the docks. "This can't work" we thought since there was no office and the only store seemed to have gas, movies, and microwave pizza.
But, I saw a number of boats beached for repairs and so I stood on the river bank and yelled, "Bill"! A head popped up from one boat, I asked about a trip to the island and made all the arrangements for the next day. Fantastic!
Life is slower there. Bill turned out to be a part time marine biologist and cold water diver. Only approved boats could land on the island, he was one. "land" is a misnomer since we transferred to a johnboat, then had to walk a plank to rocks on the island.
You could walk the island in ten minutes, but there were blinds, so when you approached, the puffins flew away, but forgot about you and shortly returned. I photographed many from less than 10'.
In case you don't know, puffins spend their entire lives on the ocean and only come to Machias Seal Island to nest. Very cool!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p55305320-3.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	305984   Click image for larger version

Name:	puffin-posing.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	305985  

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great story and photo, thanks!
Old 03-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Quebec City

Summer, 2017. We stayed at “Camping Transit” on the east bank near Quebec City. Nice park, nice owners. They have shuttles to take you to the metro (ferry?) station to head across the river to Q.C. I found them in the Passport America (highly recommended) book. We got a reasonable price in August. Take one of the bus tours around Q.C. I made reservations online for Camping Transit.

BTW....check out “Camping Auclair” east of Montreal. Wonderful country park next to a large apple orchard. Also in the Passport America listings.

Don

P.S. If you get to Halifax be sure to check out the maritime museum.
donabston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #10
Silver Xanax

1991 29' Excella
Smiths Station , Alabama
Quebec City

Stay in Camping Du Park Martniere in Levis. Overlooking St Lawrence river. Ferry to Quebec City just down the street. Great location and sites.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Traveling from Maine into Nova Scotia and Quebec City

For Quebec City (QC), I suggest Jacques-Cartier National Park which is really a Provincial Park. They explained but I didn’t quite get the distinction.

It’s not real close to QC (32 miles) but the park is gorgeous, as are the campgrounds. Two separate campgrounds and one allows pets (La Betulaie). Have to pay for showers, so need Canadian coins. We were amused by the sign at the park entrance warning of wildlife: fox, moose & porcupine.

South of the park in Stoneham is a great bakery: Pascal le Bollinger. Just off the highway going to QC.

There are Costco stores in QC, but unlike in the US, they only take MasterCard, not Visa. And your US debit card most likely won’t work either. However, you can purchase a Costco gift card in the US and it will be honored in Canada.

If you plan on camping there, contact me off thread and I can share more details.

Greg

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4968.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	473.6 KB
ID:	305987
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
While heading north be sure to visit Acadia National Park in Maine. We visit many times, and usually stay at Narrows Too at the entrance to the island. From there travel to Nova Scotia entering Canada at Calais. Be sure to have your Pass Ports and know and obey what they allow into Canada. We got a 1 hour search this past summer, after years of entering with no more than a welcome. (We nothing to hide... thankfully.) After our first visit we always stay at Cheticamp on the west side of Cape Breton in the National Park - reserve as early as you can with Parks Canada. Travel over the Cabot Trail (one of the top scenic roads in the world) leaving your AS at Cheticamp - LOTS of hills and twists - no problem for your TV. A beautiful place (like Acadia) for hiking, kayaking and exploring. (In Acadia you can add biking the carriage trails to your entertainment list.) I don't have much info for Quebec as we live too close to it in northern VT and just do day trips - no camping.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
On our way back to the states, we took the CAT out of Yarmouth only because it gave us more time in NS. On our booking, one of the engines was down, so it took about another hour to complete the trip. If I had to do it over, I probably would, because we were able to fit more into the remaining schedule. However, there were a lot of people coughing and sneezing, and within 24 hours, so was I. I had a virus for the next two weeks.

I’ve been to NS four times and have driven all over the island. Here’s an alternative to the CAT. After crossing from St. Stephen into New Brunswick, head to St. Andrew’s by the Sea and stay at Kiwanis Oceanfront Camping. Then head for St. George to Country Market Bakery and Fine Foods and fill the fridge with everything they sell. Continue to Saint John and stay at Rockwood Park. Eat at Saint John Ale House. Take the ferry to Digby and stay at Digby Campground and Funpark. I don’t think there’s much of a fun park so much as it’s very close to town. Eat dinner at The Fundy Restaurant and Bar. After dinner, walk down to the lower level to see if there’s a band playing. Before leaving the area, don’t forget to drive over to Bear River and see Rob Buckland Nicks at The Flight of Fancy Gallery. Next is Annapolis Royal for an afternoon of walking around, shopping and food. Maybe see a show at The King’s Theatre or visit The Annapolis Royal Tidal Generating Station. Next, head to Liverpool and eat at Lane’s Privateer Inn and Restaurant. A must for your trip will be a day in Lunenburg walking the streets and checking out the architecture and shops. Continue to Peggy’s Cove for an hour or so, possibly staying to watch the sunset. Drive through Mahone Bay in the daytime and then head into Halifax. Eat at Piatto Pizzeria, The Bicycle Thief, and The Five Fishermen, and read about the history of The Five Fishermen. You must see The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and learn more about the Titanic and Halifax Explosion. If you are in Halifax while the Tattoo is playing, this is a not-to-be-missed show. If you have kids, take them to Freak Lunchbox. From Halifax, where do you go? More NS, or maybe Moncton? You could leave Halifax and head to Windsor and eat at The Spitfire Arms. Then take the 215 to Burntcoat Head and watch the tide rise and fall. I can go on and on….

If you’ve never been to NS, some definite dos are Lunenburg, Halifax, and Annapolis Royal, etc. Driving around and enjoying the scenery is fantastic as is the food. The people are very friendly and will speak to you on the street. We were driving slowly around Saint John, looking at the architecture, and were approached three times by people asking if we needed directions.

If you take the CAT into Yarmouth, eat at Rudder’s Seafood and just pull in to Walmart for the evening. Drive around the Bay of Fundy on Route 1 (Evangeline Trail) to Digby. This is much prettier than just running up the 103 to Halifax.

For a retrospective look at NS, read about Maud Lewis and watch the movie Maudy. You can see her homesite on the Evangeline Trail as well as Eglise Sainte-Bernard and Eglise Sainte-Marie.

We post a lot of photos of NS on our Instagram page at coasttocoasstphotoatl.

Please contact me for more info.

I am trying to post photos, but the program isn't letting me.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Nova Scotia

Heading there in July. Can't wait.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:16 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
East Woodstock , Connecticut
Nova Scotia

Summer of 2016, traveled from Connecticut to Cape Breton, great trip enjoyed the drive. Skipped Acadia, too busy in mid-summer, stopped at Bay of Fundy, stunningly beautiful Park Canada, be sure to have reservations. Visited Halifax for three nights, great small city, great restaurants and pubs, locals very welcoming to Yanks. Halifax Citadel has beautiful views and interesting programs. We drove the Cabot Trail starting from Citicamp Campground - Cape Breton National Park, beautiful Campground, great hikes, stunning views and even a moose siting. Drove the Cabot Trail with our 19' International with a 4-Runner, the Trail has some serious grades but not a problem, many beautiful pull offs and great seafood restaurants. Don't miss Louisburg, Parks Canada has been reconstructing, very interesting historical exhibit. We enjoyed the combination of Scottish, French and English music, food and dance, Nova Scotia is a great vacation destination. Except for the national parks we never needed a reservation, enjoy your holiday.
stream19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Greenacres , Washington
Nova Scotia and Maine

We took a similar route in October. Here are some tips:
Nova Scotia
1. Cape Breton Island, NP Campground in Cheticamp, Cabot Trail, Live music in Cheticamp
2. Hopewell Rocks Provincial Park, Bay of Fundy, Ponderosa Pines Campground nearby
3. Peggy’s Cove, Luenenberg, Graves Island Provincial Park Campground nearby

Maine
1. Acadia National Park, Narrows Too Campground (free shuttle bus to Bar Harbor from CG), Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound nearby
2. Chewonki Campground near Wiscasset, Maine Maritime Museum in Bath, Booth’s Bay Harbor nearby

You will enjoy!
vhaalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Delmar , New York
Last I heard it's unknown if the Portland-Yarmouth ferry will be running in 2018.
https://bangordailynews.com/2017/12/...-stay-running/

Nice park to stay at in NS is Graves Island Provincial Park (half way between Halifax and Lunenburg)- park is on a small island/peninsula. Many sites have good water views. Great place to go kayaking is Blue Rocks (right next to Lunenburg). We went with Pleasant Paddling - great guided tour through a maze of islands and channels. Also try the fish & chips at the South Shore Fish Shack in Lunenburg.

If you want a whale watch go to Tiverton and Ocean Explorations. They take you out on a zodiac which has two advantages - it's faster so more time watching whales and less time traveling and you get a much closer view since you're right at water level. Downside, they supply you with a dry suit because if the seas are rough you're on a little rubber zodiac not a big boat. Note you have to take a small ferry to get there so wouldn't go with the trailer in tow.
kenen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenen42 View Post
Last I heard it's unknown if the Portland-Yarmouth ferry will be running in 2018.
. .. .
The cost of the improvements ordered by the feds makes it unlikely that the budget could be approved in time to get the necessary permits, and complete construction, before Memorial Day. IMO

I looked for further news stories but did not see any. Nor any Portland city govt. press releases or meeting agendas. The linked article is from 12/22/17, almost three months ago.

12/27 PR: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...tion-1.4465394
http://www.digbycourier.ca/news/full...es-ceo-173415/

Old 03-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburnand View Post
Hi very helpful ASer's. We are heading into Nova Scotia and then Quebec City. Do we need to do a ferry to Nova Scotia? Campgound recommendations?
Also, RV parks or Provential parks around Quebec City. Thanks in advance
Most of the replies here have been about NS, NB, and PEI so I'll skip them.
After spending time in the above, we'd recommend following the NB coast westward into Quebec.
Along the way from NS we really liked Murray Beach PP CG, Kouchibouguac PP CG(rhymes with cooch-i-boo-guack), Sugarloaf PP CG, all in NB and about a day's drive apart.
You cross into QC in Campbellton. At that point you can pick up 132W and go inland, or do as we did and follow 132E along the coast. There are numerous private cg's along the way. Tête Indien CG was a day's drive from Campbelltown.
Our destination was Forillon NP in Gaspé. We highly recommend it, and stay a week if you can. As they say up there, it's where the Appalachian Mntn range tumbles into the sea.
After that, you just follow the Gaspé coast around to the St. Lawrence Seaway. Many cg's to choose from.
Pay attention to the rigs hauling wood to and from mills - they really "ball the jack". If it's safe try to pull over a bit to let them pass. They will really appreciate that.
Give yourself time to stay at another great cg - Le Bic NP, a little west of Rimouski.
We had to take two days to get from Le Bic to Quebec City, where we stayed on the other side of the river at the KOA Holiday. Try to stay way at the end, far from the highway. You can drive or bicycle from there into Levis and take the ferry across the St. Lawrence. You get a great view of Vieux Quebec from Levis.
Going west from there toward Ottawa, we stayed at Plaisance NP CG, on the Ottawa River.
Also, BTW, the provincial parks in QC are considered "parcs national" by the Quebecois…
Of course, you can do this all in reverse as well, since you might be coming from AZ.
Enjoy!!!
Dave
callmedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I looked into the ferry and it looks like they don't accommodate truck and trailers. Also, I am not familiar with CAT. Please explain.
tburnand is offline   Reply With Quote