Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
reo
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
satellite beach , Florida
Georgia camping

We are taking off for a few weeks, leaving Satellite Beach, Fl and traveling up the west coast of Fl. and the FL. panhandle. We will then head to F.D. Roosevelt St. Park in Pine Mountain Ga. Looking for some interesting areas to visit from there before heading home. Historical, hiking, kayaking, neat towns.
Thanks for any suggestions
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
Try Helen GA while you are up there, there is a nice airstream park next to the Federal park and the AP trail , it is called Top of GA. $7 a night. in that area is a good jump offpoint to area waterfalls about 7, also history area of AP trail, great state and Federal park area. and the town is just a very nice town this time of year trust me it is a lot to do and see there.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Eat at the Bullack house in down town Warm Springs, small enough town you don't need directions to find the resturant The little White House is neat and worth the trip and while so close go by Callaway Gardens
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Also drive thru Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds in Hiawassee, just outside Helen, Very nice, just had a rally there.
See your from Satellite Beach...is this Ron and Lindy?

Andi and Jim
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We really love the St. Mary's, Georgia, area. The town is pretty and Cumberland Island is a great day trip.

Crooked River State Park is there, as well as a lovely, privately owned campground we especially like. The owners and staff there are terrific, campground is clean and well-maintained and they have a potluck every Sunday night which is really fun.

A Big Wheel RV Park Homepage

Maggie
Old 10-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I second doug&maggie. Also look at Jekyll Island campground if you come down the SE coast
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We own a cabin 3 miles from FDR and love FDR for camping. Here are some suggestions, all within minutes of FDR:

- Hiking. Right from (literally) your campsite at FDR are some fabulous hikes; the hikes litter FDR State Park and you can pick and choose your trails.

- Callaway Gardens. Great hiking (and/or biking) paths (miles of trails), two great golf courses, butterfly house, and of course their Fantasy in Lights - cheesy and nice Christmas lights.

- Pine Mountain (town). Visit the Tea House downtown; they have great breads you can buy that are fabuloso for sandwiches or toasting. If you like BBQ, 3 Lil Pigs is most awesome. And its a cool little town.

- Dining. You're not going to like the looks of this place (you'd never go in unless someone told you to), but go for dinner at Hunter's Pub in Hamilton. Don't agonize over the menu (it's horrible), but order either their steaks or whatever is their fish special. And order the peanut butter pie for dessert. Get there early to avoid a wait - the locals know this place. Did I mention it looks like a dump? Not to worry - their steaks are absolutely delicious - quality, aged beef.

- Kayaking/canoeing. Not far from FDR (maybe 10 miles) in Hamilton (or thereabouts) is Lake Harding. There are some great places to put in, including some creeks that flow into the lake. A decent map will help, hard to explain, but clearly some great places in or near the smaller end of the lake. There is one put-in that is about 100 yards from a fire station, but can't describe - sorry. We camped at a GA Power campground, but it is closed now for the season.

Little White House. For some reason, I have gone blank on the town (starts with an M?) that the Little White House is in, but it is a cool little town, easy to walk around.

Enjoy - it is a great area!!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Yup - my bad, Warm Springs, and someone else mentioned the Little White House.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontimo View Post
Try Helen GA while you are up there, there is a nice airstream park next to the Federal park and the AP trail , it is called Top of GA. $7 a night. in that area is a good jump offpoint to area waterfalls about 7, also history area of AP trail, great state and Federal park area. and the town is just a very nice town this time of year trust me it is a lot to do and see there.
Any idea if Helen would be too cold to stop at in Late March?

I was through that way on a motorcycle tour a few years ago in the summer but didn't have time to stop and check out the AS park, nor the town of Helen

We plan a winter trip to Florida this year with our trailer and I wondered about trying to stop at Helen for a day or two on our way home - not even sure if the AS park would be open that time of year though

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
Wingeezer,

Not sure about the A/S park, however, Unicoi State Park (2 miles from Helen) should be open to the best of my knowledge. We've camped there many times in winter - nice campground.

Also, the Unicoi Lodge has good food - best breakfast around-buffet.

South of Atlanta, should you travel close to FDR State Park, lunch at the Bulloch House Restaurant in Warm Springs is hard to beat, again buffet. Also serve dinner in evenings. Oscar's, about one mile south of Warm Springs, also has good steak and seafood.

Callway Gardens in Pine Mtn is nice to visit - somewhat pricey, but nice.

Only 20 miles away, near West Point, GA on I-85 (actually about 3 miles across the Alabama state line in Valley, AL - 2nd exit in AL), is WestPoint Home Mill Store for factory prices on linens, towels, etc. Down US 29, about 8 miles is a great place for steak dinner - at this point, you're only about 3-4 miles away from Lake Harding on the Alabama side.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1988 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
Cumming , Georgia
Gosh - I live in Georgia and you guys know more about it than I do Be sure to check on the state parks (Unicoi, etc) some have cut back on their seasons due to the economy. The Corps of Engineers parks closed already. Have a great trip!
Djmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Top of Ga is open all year. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I'll 2nd Unicoi, great park, great food. Some good hiking nearby and Helen is just down the road for a day trip. Top-of-GA is a WBCCI park and you need membership in that club, not just an Airstream. FDR is really nice. Check int Army Corps of Engineer Parks all over the state. Been to several and they are all nice.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:21 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
We own a cabin 3 miles from FDR and love FDR for camping. Here are some suggestions, all within minutes of FDR:

- Hiking. Right from (literally) your campsite at FDR are some fabulous hikes; the hikes litter FDR State Park and you can pick and choose your trails.

- Callaway Gardens. Great hiking (and/or biking) paths (miles of trails), two great golf courses, butterfly house, and of course their Fantasy in Lights - cheesy and nice Christmas lights.

- Pine Mountain (town). Visit the Tea House downtown; they have great breads you can buy that are fabuloso for sandwiches or toasting. If you like BBQ, 3 Lil Pigs is most awesome. And its a cool little town.

- Dining. You're not going to like the looks of this place (you'd never go in unless someone told you to), but go for dinner at Hunter's Pub in Hamilton. Don't agonize over the menu (it's horrible), but order either their steaks or whatever is their fish special. And order the peanut butter pie for dessert. Get there early to avoid a wait - the locals know this place. Did I mention it looks like a dump? Not to worry - their steaks are absolutely delicious - quality, aged beef.

- Kayaking/canoeing. Not far from FDR (maybe 10 miles) in Hamilton (or thereabouts) is Lake Harding. There are some great places to put in, including some creeks that flow into the lake. A decent map will help, hard to explain, but clearly some great places in or near the smaller end of the lake. There is one put-in that is about 100 yards from a fire station, but can't describe - sorry. We camped at a GA Power campground, but it is closed now for the season.

Little White House. For some reason, I have gone blank on the town (starts with an M?) that the Little White House is in, but it is a cool little town, easy to walk around.

Enjoy - it is a great area!!
Great suggestion to do Calloway Gardens. Great biking/hiking. We are heading to Indian Springs State Park in Flovilla, GA soon. Is there a good route to tow from Pine Mountain to Indian Springs?

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote