Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
I was able to get a site for 5 days at Long Key 3 years ago using a 1 gig hard connection and being quick on the mouse. A camper in the neighboring site was a teacher. She had her entire class on reserve America trying to get the site. So that’s 25 people all clicking reserve at exactly 8:00.

We absolutely loved Long Key and would go back in a heartbeat, but there are lots of beautiful parks in Florida and elsewhere that are much easier to get into.
BoilerRealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Never been a fan of Florida...too crowded, mediocre to bad service in restaurants and attractions. I just returned from Naples after having work done on my AI. On the way down I stayed at a very expensive KOA in St. Petersburg...$111/night. I had a horrible site, full hook up but all on the wrong sides, so I just did electric. I was only spending 1 night so it was a big waste of money. While my RV was being worked on I stayed at a wonderful Red Roof Inn for $103/ night. At that point, I decided if I'm coming to Florida, I'm staying in a hotel! But, I really like Key West, drove down once from Miami and said never again. Have flown ever since. When the cruise ships leave, it is really wonderful, not crowded and relaxing. This was my first experience camping in Florida. On the way back, I only made 250 miles in 6-1/2 hours due to traffic so I spent the night at a wonderful Cracker Barrel near Daytona, my first time, and with 2 other class B's beside me. Cracker barrel was very friendly, great dinner, and relatively quiet after 11pm. I'll definitely consider them again while travelling in the future. Not sure what other campgrounds down there charge, but even Myrtle beach campgrounds on the beach during peak don't charge what I paid.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Key Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerRealm View Post
I was able to get a site for 5 days at Long Key 3 years ago using a 1 gig hard connection and being quick on the mouse. A camper in the neighboring site was a teacher. She had her entire class on reserve America trying to get the site. So that’s 25 people all clicking reserve at exactly 8:00.

We absolutely loved Long Key and would go back in a heartbeat, but there are lots of beautiful parks in Florida and elsewhere that are much easier to get into.
Sadly Long Key was obliterated by Irma last year and it did not look like it would be back anytime soon when a last drove past a few weeks ago.
Martin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
Long KEy closed for camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin R View Post
Sadly Long Key was obliterated by Irma last year and it did not look like it would be back anytime soon when a last drove past a few weeks ago.

Due to Hurricane Irma, Long Key was devastated. and the ranger told me no funding to get the campground back in order. Even some trails are still closed. They got it really bad. My favorite campground in the Keys too. Sad.

Also state parks are supposed to save 10% of their sites for walk-ins. Not sure if that is always true either. I was in Curry Hammock in September and the site next to me was vacant for five days yet RA said it was full. Need a way to fix that reservation system to show cancels!
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
I've noticed when making recent reservations the ReserveAmerica has added the "I am not a robot" captcha. This should help level the playing field when making reservations online.
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Never been a fan of Florida...too crowded, mediocre to bad service in restaurants and attractions. I just returned from Naples …... stayed at a very expensive KOA in St. Petersburg...…............But, I really like Key West, drove down once from Miami and said never again...………... This was my first experience camping in Florida. On the way back, I only made 250 miles in 6-1/2 hours due to traffic so ………....
I wasn't going to comment on this cause you don't know any better it being first trip and all. But if you go to the most crowded and expensive places you only see the bad side of Florida. I'd never go to the KOA in St Pete. But I would go to Frog Creek near Bradenton. I'd never go to Disney, but I would paddle the Harris Chain of Lakes. I'd never go down I 75 if it could avoid it. …. or I-4 or I-95. Way too much traffic there, especially on holiday, rush hour or migration times. But I would go on hwy 301, 441, 17 , 231 and 1. In the right places they are lightly traveled and 4 lane divided. I get senior discounts but I'm not old enough for Fort Meyers, . The point is that if you stay away from the crowds you'll sample the Real Florida that we enjoy. Look for country places. Avoid the crowded cities. (they're full of yankees and other "fur-in-ers") Travel during non peak times.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thanks. I will save that info. I'm new with my AI and follow the GPS that came with it. When I deviate it sends a "scary" warning saying "recreational vehicle accessibility unknown" which makes be worry about a low clearance bridge! I know the odds of running into one is pretty low. What are the "non peak" times in Florida? Thanks again!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Never been a fan of Florida.. On the way down I stayed at a very expensive KOA in St. Petersburg...$111/night.
I'm in Tampa and I couldn't believe there was a campground here that cost over $100/night.
The St. Petersburg KOA is right on the gulf and you're right, it was $112 today! Holy Smoke!
I'm used to staying at one of the places just east of Tampa for about $39/night.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'm in Tampa and I couldn't believe there was a campground here that cost over $100/night.
The St. Petersburg KOA is right on the gulf and you're right, it was $112 today! Holy Smoke!
I'm used to staying at one of the places just east of Tampa for about $39/night.
It wasn't even that nice and my site was really bad. I won't go back there. And it's on the bayou...so the view was not much different than a small lake. I won't spend that much either unless they let me do a drive thru first. It probably is a really fun place if you stay a while but I was only staying one night and was exhausted when I got there. Live and learn!