Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2010, 06:06 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
As a employee of a major DoD contractor , Am I able to use this benefit ???
Old 12-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Clovis , California
CA has 31 military campgrounds. In Monterey is the Naval Pstgrad. Monterey Pines. It is a somewhat out dated campgrounds for $27. Sites are tight, near the airport, and next to the golf course. You can collect golf balls from your site. However, being in the Monterey-Carmel area for beauty and sight-seeing can't be beat. The management gives you 2 free tickets to the MOnterey Bay Aquarium!
LuvRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #23
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvRVing View Post
CA has 31 military campgrounds. In Monterey is the Naval Pstgrad. Monterey Pines. It is a somewhat out dated campgrounds for $27. Sites are tight, near the airport, and next to the golf course. You can collect golf balls from your site. However, being in the Monterey-Carmel area for beauty and sight-seeing can't be beat. The management gives you 2 free tickets to the MOnterey Bay Aquarium!
I forgot about this place, even though we stayed in it this summer!

If you are into golf, this may be the best spot on earth. 5 minute walk to the clubhouse and very affordable rounds of golf. Under $20 in many cases.

I'm glad you got tickets to the aquarium. We didn't receive them, so that may be an occasional offering.

This place is physically located at the Monterey Pines Golf Course, not on the Naval Postgraduate School. However, the school is about a mile away with a small exchange, credit union, and vehicle service center.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #24
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
This is a great post, A F retired now and want to enjoy some of the good life.
CU, On the road Airperson
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:43 PM   #25
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
A good site is:
us army paths across america
this site lists all army military campgrounds by state
CU, On the road Airperson
Old 12-31-2010, 05:09 PM   #26
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay,GA. Near St. Mary's, GA.
Eagle Hammock RV Park

Mark
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:08 PM   #27
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
We spent 2 nights on our holiday trip at the small RV park at the Coast Guard Training Center near Petaluma, CA.

This RV campground is bare-bones with 30/50 AMP service, concrete/asphalt pads, and water at 6 sites on a small loop. Dump station is a short drive from the sites. Full privileges to use the gym, base theater, gas station, library, DVD/VCR rentals, etc, etc.

The center is right in the heart of the Sonoma County dairy belt. It's located less than 15 minutes from US Hwy 101 and about the same to Bodega Bay.

It's really beautiful.

Reservations are advised although we were able to secure a site with a) no notice and b) reservation "lost" in their system. Therefore, once you make a reservation, I would recommend calling a few days before arrival to confirm your reservation.

Petaluma Lake RV Park

1976 24' Argosy
Old 01-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #28
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Something we learned on our holiday trip...

Oregon State Parks offers no-fee camping to disabled veterans and military members on leave at any state park. The benefit is 5 continuous days in 1 park or 10 total days in all parks per month.

We were able to take advantage of 7 nights of no-fee camping along US Hwy 101, where hook-up fees are approximately $25/night.

Thank you Oregon!

1976 24' Argosy
Old 01-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
We just did two weeks at the Parris Island RV park. There are 20 sites and a great bath house with washers and dryers. The sites are huge, about 60X120 feet each. Not much to see at the camp but there is a water side park within walking distance. Very quiet at night but you hear the new Marines training and shooting during the day.
A good place to stay if you're passing through or visiting family.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
I hate to rain on your military parade BUT .I don't like the fact the military keeps these campgrounds for military only.I pay taxes to support the military and your campgrounds. I think I should be allowed to use some of these beautiful campgrounds.No I was not in the Military but to put it quite simply.What makes you a better American!!I served teaching in a public housing area teaching school (33 years). This is where the real battle for this country is going to be won in it's schools. I would like equal access to these campgrounds.I think it unfair to the American public to have special campgrounds for the military only.I don't think your that special. The goverment should open these campgrounds to all campers.Plus I have many men family who served in the army and marines going back to the American Revolutionary War.Fair is Fair
mi silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
I wish I could "share" in all the things I pay taxes for ! Lets give the military/vets a break ,most of the time the duty isn't that great and lots of time away from family and home. I'm sure the "duty" as a teacher wasn't too bad 8 to 4 five days a week and home with family every night. Also 3 mo vacation every year and all the holidays you could ask for. Too bad! Go vets!
rashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #32
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi silver View Post
I hate to rain on your military parade BUT .I don't like the fact the military keeps these campgrounds for military only.I pay taxes to support the military and your campgrounds. I think I should be allowed to use some of these beautiful campgrounds.No I was not in the Military but to put it quite simply.What makes you a better American!!I served teaching in a public housing area teaching school (33 years). This is where the real battle for this country is going to be won in it's schools. I would like equal access to these campgrounds.I think it unfair to the American public to have special campgrounds for the military only.I don't think your that special. The goverment should open these campgrounds to all campers.Plus I have many men family who served in the army and marines going back to the American Revolutionary War.Fair is Fair
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashton View Post
I wish I could "share" in all the things I pay taxes for ! Lets give the military/vets a break ,most of the time the duty isn't that great and lots of time away from family and home. I'm sure the "duty" as a teacher wasn't too bad 8 to 4 five days a week and home with family every night. Also 3 mo vacation every year and all the holidays you could ask for. Too bad! Go vets!
Alright, gang. Let's keep a civil tone. We fight elsewhere so we don't have a need to fight here.

Many of the locations allow "guests" (for a slightly higher rate) at the request of a eligible patron. If you buddy travel with a veteran, DoD employee or serving member, it's an opportunity to utilize the facilities.

These campgrounds are a great benefit for those of us who serve or who have served. You may want to research the purpose of MWR (Morale, Welfare, and Recreation) and how MWR is funded. It's interesting.

The primary mission of military RV campgrounds is to encourage and support recreation for service personnel while primarily on unofficial travel.

The RV campgrounds are in a "self-funding" category of MWR. We pay to use these facilities. The proceeds are used to maintain and improve the facilities, reducing taxpayer burdens.

The program is administered through MWR, but also serves a very direct purpose in meeting our overall military mission. Priority reservations at these locations are given to those who are traveling on official business. Using these facilities for official business can reduce government travel expenditures since the rates are much lower than traditional temporary lodging (either on-base or hotels).

I hope this information is helpful.

1976 24' Argosy
Old 01-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have not heard of military RV parks. As far as military access only. It is small recompense for this level of service to your country. And this coming from a cynical hippy who now is working for the establishment.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We are at a military campground right now. Just to briefly address the taxpayer issue . . . we pay a reasonable camping fee that not only pays for the construction and maintenance of the camp, but also returns very large amounts of money to support recreational facilities at the military base for the troops. The camps, as a whole, relieve the taxpayer burden.

By the way, you may not realize the wounds many of these campers still suffer from as a result of wartime service. We see it every day here.

Doug and Cheryl
Both Navy Retired
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Lansing , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi silver
This is very judgmental and inaccurate. Read the above post as to how MWR facilities work and are funded. These are not free facilities. As a school teacher you, no doubt, have access to benefits I am not entitled to. My wife is a school teacher, so I am familiar with the nature of some of your perks (free admittance to sporting events, educational pricing at numerous businesses, etc.). This is just a reward for the hard and important work you do. Enjoy it as we veterans enjoy the rewards society bestowed upon us. By the way, your use of the word "your" in "I don't think your that special" is incorrect. I believe you meant the contraction "you're." But as a teacher, I'm sure you knew that....
DCtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I don't have a problem with the military/DOD only restriction. Most of these camps are located on active military bases. Some are on inactive bases but they could become active if needed. Security is a problem. There is also the whole military culture you need to know about. Most of these camps have little or no full time staff. Military people know they have to keep the site clean, pick up the dog poo and be quiet and respectful.
We get to stay at these sites because we are sponsored by my son or my son-in-law. I'm ex-military but did not stay in for twenty years. At Parris Island, it took one hour to get our temporary pass validated. I feel lucky that I'm able to use these facilities when sponsored. The military has no obligation to share these facilities with the general public. Their misson is to protect this nation, not serve as a vacation spot.
We are very fortunate that we have the National Parks and Forest in this country. These are open to the general public.
I'd like to see this thread stay active. Reviews of military camp sites are hard to come by. It would be nice to have something to reference.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:19 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Blue Angel Navy Recreational Park

This is an other camp we stayed at. This is on an inactive military base in Pensacola, FL. The camps are located along the WW2 era air strip with nice views of the bay.
The camp is devided into two sections. Battleship Row is reserved for RV's and the camp grounds are open to RV's and tent campers. We stayed at the camp grounds; reservations for the RV spots are in high demand and should be booked in advance.
Battleship Row has full hook-up sites and concrete slabs for your picnik area. Most sites are shaded with nice trees and good views. This area is away from the camp grounds. This is premium camping along the Gulf Coast.
The camp ground offers water and electricty but no sewage. There is a dump station. The sites are small. Some sites offer nice views of the bay and you can walk out of your trailer onto the beach!
There is a rec center that is staffed durring the day. They offer food and snacks. There is boat rental and other recreational opportunities.
The best part of this camp ground is that it is located in Pensacola. With fishing, beaches, historic sites (don't miss the lighthouse near by) restaurants, bars and the National Naval Aviation Museum; this is a great place to visit. This is worth the trip as a final destination for your vacation.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #38
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
dlb 435
This sounds like a great place. Hope to travel to Fla. this summer. Thanks for the great rec. area post. CU, On the road Airperson
Old 01-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #39
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Goodfellow AFB RV park in San Angelo

We stayed one night at this nice park near the lake. It was cheap. $15 for a night. The bathrooms and showers were under construction, so we used Abby's shower/tub. We weren't there very long, but it is a nice place in a good location. I was happy to get the LAST spot! It is full of retired snow birds! I look forward to being one myself!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20101227_180638.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	118628

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #40
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Last winter we stayed 2 nights at Ft. Rucker, Alabama. Very nice campground and would definately stay again if traveling through the area. It's a bit off the beaten track but nice once you get there. We also stayed 5 days at Tyndall AFB in Panama City, Fla. They have a nice campground. Some sites have sewer hookup's and some don't. So it depends on just what's available. We were there for a few days so it didn't matter. No reservations accepted so you just gotta check. Some years ago we were out west and I stopped in at Ft. Lewis, Washington. They had a campground but not very appealing. Looked to be full of long termers and pretty ratty looking at that. Wouldn't want to stay there. Later this winter planning a trip south again. May look in at Ft. Benning, Ga to see their camping facilities. So far the Military bases have been good to us and we've enjoyed their offerings. Oh, I almost forgot. We stayed two times at the Air Force Academy, Colo. Springs. Top Shelf. Very friendly with nice, clean facilities. Not crowded. Definately on my return list. Looking forward to trying some of the other recommendations too.

To the earlier poster, Easyride, I checked some of them out that said DOD employees only. I found if you look a bit further into their policies you'll find that they take active duty, Reserve, retired etc. I'd venture to bet that they all have similar acceptance policies even those that use the terminology DOD employees only. Good traveling

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
military park, travel