Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
There is a nice military RV site at Redstone Arsenal, right near the commissary and BX. It's about $20 per night with full hook up. For $12 per night, you might camp on the Tennessee River with water and electrical only. Tight spaces on the river, not really practical for larger rigs, but a neat location and the price is cheap.
RV Park
Camping

SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #62
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Thanks for the great information. This is awaome. CU, Airperson
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #63
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
That should read awesome.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
The best kept secret...Luke AFB campground at Flagstaff. Don't spread it around...
Old 02-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
The best kept secret...Luke AFB campground at Flagstaff. Don't spread it around...
I agree. Great location, too. It's called Ft. Tuthill.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi silver
I hate to rain on your military parade BUT .I don't like the fact the military keeps these campgrounds for military only.I pay taxes to support the military and your campgrounds. I think I should be allowed to use some of these beautiful campgrounds.No I was not in the Military but to put it quite simply.What makes you a better American!!I served teaching in a public housing area teaching school (33 years). This is where the real battle for this country is going to be won in it's schools. I would like equal access to these campgrounds.I think it unfair to the American public to have special campgrounds for the military only.I don't think your that special. The goverment should open these campgrounds to all campers.Plus I have many men family who served in the army and marines going back to the American Revolutionary War.Fair is Fair
I'm sitting in an MWR campground as I type this. As a veteran, I don't think I have ever been quite so offended by the remarks of another individual on a discussion forum of any kind.
The very soldiers who you so boldly dismiss are the very same ones who have put themselves in harms way to protect your right to run your mouth openly, even if we don't agree with your ideals.
In all honesty, that sort of rhetoric in front of most soldiers/veterans would likely mean that an MWR campground would not be the the safest place for you. It's probably best that you don't have access to them.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #67
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
military campgrounds in the west

On our trip from Texas to Vancouver

For those that qualify, retired or 100% military disabled, we were able to stay in lots of military campgrounds, the rates are great $17-24.00 a night. The cost has no relation to the amenities. You can pay $17.00 at Nellis in Las Vegas and have all facilities, WiFi and cable, on the other hand, in San Luis Obispo, CA, it could be $ 24.00 and be a mud field with W/E/S. You can use the commissary, PX with NO TAX, but it is a hassle for security checks going in and out of the base.

I liked Travis outside of San Francisco and Monterrey Pines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0256.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	122488   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0315.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	474.2 KB
ID:	122489  

Randini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
I'm sitting in an MWR campground as I type this. As a veteran, I don't think I have ever been quite so offended by the remarks of another individual on a discussion forum of any kind.
The very soldiers who you so boldly dismiss are the very same ones who have put themselves in harms way to protect your right to run your mouth openly, even if we don't agree with your ideals.
In all honesty, that sort of rhetoric in front of most soldiers/veterans would likely mean that an MWR campground would not be the the safest place for you. It's probably best that you don't have access to them.
I concur. As a retired military chaplain, I've had the honor of conducting funerals for those who've made the ulitimate sacrifice so other Americans can tell us "you're not that special". And visited the maimed and wounded who unselfishly gave of themselves and their futures that we may have the freedoms we have. They don't call it "the service" because it's cushy. They call it the service because the people who serve sometimes serve "...with the last full measure of devotion." Teaching is an honorable and valued profession, and we are all grateful for those who have given themselves to that calling. Thank God for the Congress who allows those who serve on active duty and those who've retired from active military service some special amenities. It's America's way of saying "Thank you for your service. We appreciate you." Fair is indeed fair (and nuts is nuts).
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAT View Post
Some day I would like to go back to the Smithonian In Washington. Is there a good Mil RV park and if so how hard easy is it to drive and park and ride the Metro and see the museum and Arlington.
Ft. George G. Meade in Maryland is a hop skip and a jump from the Greenbelt Metro Station. Nice little campground next to the lake. Metro station is one of the ones at the end of a line that has a huge parking lot.
AIR #8891
Old 02-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi silver View Post
I hate to rain on your military parade BUT .I don't like the fact the military keeps these campgrounds for military only.I pay taxes to support the military and your campgrounds. I think I should be allowed to use some of these beautiful campgrounds.No I was not in the Military but to put it quite simply.What makes you a better American!!I served teaching in a public housing area teaching school (33 years). This is where the real battle for this country is going to be won in it's schools. I would like equal access to these campgrounds.I think it unfair to the American public to have special campgrounds for the military only.I don't think your that special. The goverment should open these campgrounds to all campers.Plus I have many men family who served in the army and marines going back to the American Revolutionary War.Fair is Fair
REALLY, I mean, REALLY....... Wow, Let me count to 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 REALLY.........

OK, there is a small campground at the SEABEE base in Gulfport, MS for use by travelers. I think the campground host is in an Airstream - it's parked in the host spot but I have not been able to catch them there, working maybe? Anyway, it's a wide open lot that once was used for overflow housing using mobile homes in the past. They cleaned it out and now it's RV's only - limited trees but good facilites if you are on the MS Gulf Coast.

I spent some time in Key West in 2010 and the two base facilities there were good to moderate and cheep ($18-$22 vice hotel at $180 and up) for KW. I did not camp but just wanted to see the facilities. Great locations near NEX.

mi siliver: REALLY, I'm civilian DoD, just back from the Persian Gulf 10 days ago - Bahrain to be specific, see the news lately? I get limited use of DoD (military) base facilities and am always grateful to be allowed in. I serve (if you want to call it that) with, next to, around, on ships, in vehicles with the men and women in the SERVICE of the US. I would never place the work I do near the level of gratitude we owe them for their service. They go in for many reasons, but they all serve for one, this great nation and we owe them this small symbol of our thanks. BTW, these RV parks are self funding or they will go away.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #71
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Just for the record: Military Campgrounds are funded by the soldiers who utilize them.
AAFES, or the (Army Air Force Exchange Service), is how military personal get what they need, when they need it. AAFES provides: grocery, department, and convenience stores on bases, and also help provide soldiers in forward zones with supplies.
67% of the revenues from these stores on military facilities are paid to MWR (Moral Welfare and Recreational) programs. This is how Military Camp Grounds are funded as well as the charges paid by the soldiers who use them.
The only congressionally appropriated money spent in AAFES comes in the form of utilities and transportation of merchandise to overseas exchanges and for salaries of U.S. military personnel assigned to AAFES. A non-appropriated fund instrumentality (NAFI) of the Department of Defense, AAFES funds 98% of its operating budget, including civilian employee salaries, inventory investments, utilities and capital investments for equipment, vehicles and facilities, from the sale of merchandise, food and services to customers.
As of 2006, more than $2.24 billion has been contributed by AAFES over a 10-year period to the Army and Air Force to spend on quality of life improvements for Soldiers, Airmen and their families--Youth Services, Armed Forces Recreation Centers, arts and crafts, aquatic centers, post functions and golf courses.
In Fiscal Year 2006, AAFES earned $427 million from direct sales (retail, food, and vending/services), finance revenue, and concessions on revenues of $8.9 billion. MWR and services programs received $228 million, which was distributed as follows:
•U.S. Army, $138 million
•U.S. Air Force, $76.5 million
•U.S. Marine Corps, $13.3 million
•U.S. Navy, $.5 million
The per capita dividend in 2006 was $229 for every Soldier and Airman.
In addition to funding MWR programs, AAFES earnings are used to build new stores or renovate existing facilities without expense to the federal government. Funds to construct these new or replacement facilities come entirely from sales of merchandise and services.
AAFES is also a major source of employment for members of the U.S. Army and Air Force family. Approximately 31% of the 47,323 AAFES associates are military family members. Many associates have worked for years with AAFES as they moved from one installation to another with their military sponsors. Another 1.9% of associates are military members who work part time in exchanges during their off duty hours.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Fort Jackson, SC has just built 15 new sites at their Weston Lake rescreation area. As of Friday when I left there, they were planting grass around the new sites. All are level concrete pads with a large patio that includes a charcoal park style grill and fire pit with a grill. According to one of the MWR folks, cable TV and wi-fi are coming soon. I believe all have 50 amp hookups as well. Unfortunately, a rate hike is coming over the current $11 a night rate for full hookups, but well worth it considering the increase in quality of the park. Reconstruction of the original dozen or so sites will begin once the new sites open up to bring them to the standard of the new section.
AIR #8891
Old 06-24-2018, 07:55 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Interest in reviving this thread?

Does anyone have recent experience with military campgrounds? I see that this thread ran 2010-2011, but nothing since.

As anyone who's ever been involved with gov't knows, everything and nothing will and can change in 7 years.

Just in case you're wondering, we do qualify (I think). My spouse retired after 24 years ADAF in 2013. He's private sector now, but from what I've read, retirees and their families can access these campgrounds.
mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:04 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Retires are, indeed, welcome at all Famcamps. Some are spectacular, for example Oak Grove on NAS Pensacola, most are at least as nice as commercial campgrounds. The All-Stays APP publishers have a free guide for them and, if you have the regular All-Stays app, the military campgrounds are listed.

Prices have gone up in the last few years as MWR facilities now have to pay their own way. Most run $25 or so. Many accept reservations but not all. Most of the high demand facilities in Florida have a rotation system in season so you spend some time in dry camping, move to partial hook-ups then to full hook-ups and back to dry. It works pretty well and most folks do just fine with it.

Enjoy!
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:41 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Thanks!

Sadly, I do not drink the Apple koolaid and allstays app is only for ios users. It looks like they have a website database tho?

I've looked at https://militarycampgrounds.us
and
http://get.dodlodging.net
and
//hmsnvreservations.dodlodging.net/

Anywhere else I should look?
Old 06-25-2018, 07:01 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The militarycampgrounds.us website is excellent. While some Famcamps (especially Navy) are in the dodlodging.net system, most still are not and you simply call ahead.

The Air Force even has a "frequent camper" program where you can get a free overnight after X number of stays at different bases...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:02 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
As a DAV and a retired DoD/Army Civilian employee, I have used the FamCamp across this county, from Florida to Alaska, and am very thankful for this privilege. I utilize Moral Welfare Recreation activities because it directly supports the Soldiers/Sailors/Air Force/Marine/Coast Guard service members. My favorite FamCamp is Cliffside RV Park at NAS Whidbey Island. Absolutly a gorgeous campground. Well maintained, beautifully landscaped, and is always full. Attached are a couple views of the AS reflection of the sunset across the Straits of Juan de Fuca towards Victoria British Columbia, Canada. Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NAS-AS-1-s.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	315210   Click image for larger version

Name:	NAS-15-s.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	315211  

Tsunami-v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:23 PM   #78
Fly Navy and Beat Army!

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
St Peters , Missouri
Summary / Index

What follows is a listing of Military Campgrounds posted in this thread by page. I did not list duplicates and I did not list campgrounds mentioned as not so good. If I left something out or made a mistake, my apologies. Easy enough to correct by copy / paste / edit / post. Using the quote option may make it difficult. Thank you to those who posted!
Squire
Fly Navy and Beat Army!
Page 1
NAS Key West, FL
Ft Richardson, AK
Ft Sam Huston, TX
Patrick AFB, FL
Nellis AFB, NV
NSB King’s Bay, GA
NAS Pensacola, FL
Pacific Beach, WA
USAFA, CO
Ft McCoy, WI
Page 2
Ft Hood, TX
Camp San Luis Obispo, CA
Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ
Ft Leonard Wood, MO
Navy Postgraduate School, CA
USCG Training Center, CA
Page 3
MCRD Parris Island, SC
Blue Angel Recreation Park, FL
Goodfellow AFB, TX
FT Rucker AFB, AL
Tyndall AFB, FL
Page 4
Kirkland AFB, NM
NS Mayport, FL
NAS Point Mugu, CA
Camp Pendleton, CA
NAB Coronado, CA
Page 5
NWS Yorktown-Cheatham Annex, VA
MCB Quantico, VA
NAS Oceana Dam Neck, VA
Redstone Arsenal, AL
Luke AFB, AZ
Travis AFB, CA
Ft Meade, MD
NCBC Gulfport, MS
Page 6
Ft Jackson, SC
NAS Whidbey Island, WA
Squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:30 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Ultimate US Public Campground App has a free version that lists all military campsites. The same info is on their paid version that also lists NP, COE, state parks, BLM, etc. sites. It’s my go to app for travel planning. We’ve stayed at some nice military (FamCamp) sites recently.

Destin Army Recreation Center Florida (run by Ft Benning). Right on the water, a little tight but some great facilities.

Nellis AFB, NV. We recently spent a week there after boondocking in Quartzsite. Saw Las Vegas and surrounding area.

USAFA, Colorado Springs. Nice campground.

Fort Belvoir, VA. We stayed a week there to see the Wash DC area. A little pricey at $50/night but some of the best facilities we’ve experienced.

29 Palms, CA. We stayed for a couple of days after boondocking at Joshua Tree NP which is just a few miles away. Nothing special, but convenient to the park.

Fort Huachuca, AZ. Nice campground and easy access to Bisbee, Tombstone and the surrounding area.

West Point, NY (Round Pond). We were there in the fall of 2016 for a class reunion right when the leaves were turning. Nice campground with lots of privacy.

The first photo is Fort Belvoir, VA and the second is at West Point, NY.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1ED991BE-FFD1-4151-968A-7B628732DFF1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	317584   Click image for larger version

Name:	13EDF18E-050E-4B56-9178-98BAB6A15ADC.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	577.7 KB
ID:	317585  

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami-v2 View Post
As a DAV and a retired DoD/Army Civilian employee, I have used the FamCamp across this county, from Florida to Alaska, and am very thankful for this privilege. I utilize Moral Welfare Recreation activities because it directly supports the Soldiers/Sailors/Air Force/Marine/Coast Guard service members. My favorite FamCamp is Cliffside RV Park at NAS Whidbey Island. Absolutly a gorgeous campground. Well maintained, beautifully landscaped, and is always full. Attached are a couple views of the AS reflection of the sunset across the Straits of Juan de Fuca towards Victoria British Columbia, Canada. Enjoy
Your photo has my family planning a trip to Whidbey Island. Absolutely beautiful.

Tags
military park, travel