Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
falls church , Virginia
Fallingwater PA Camping?

Greetings

I met up with my mother and father for dinner this evening and the topic of Frank Loyd Wright's Fallingwater house in PA came up. It seems that they would like to see this (wife and I would too) and travel/stay with us in our 83 Excella. So with that said, does anyone out there know of any campgrounds within a 20min. drive of Fallingwater or Kentuck Knob. As lame as it is, we usually wind up in the mega-campgrounds rather than the state parks. With the parents with us this time, don't want to rough it at all. Any reccomedations? What have I gotten myself into this time?
tiki trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
_

. , .
hey falls church!

i'm a d.c. native, and have friends in alexandria and annandale...

i've not rv camped here,

Roaring Run Resort

and there is a yogi bear campground near by too...

let us know how it works out and take pictures!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Use the Search tab..

There have been a couple prior threads discussing Fallingwater and camping sites. The most recent was: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ter-22698.html

Just be sure and leave the trailer elsewhere before entering their parking lot.. You may never get the trailer out if it is atached to the rear of your truck...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We went last summer and stayed at the Madison KOA - nice place, full hookups smallish sites - but then again, we were out all day sightseeing!

Be sure to take the tour of the Kentuck Knob house as well - JUST as spectacular in its own way. And Latrobe isn't far from that area nor is Ligonier - both quaint little places to visit. Ligonier has a fort and Latrobe is where Mr. Rogers and Arnold Palmer are from.

Have a GREAT TRIP!

And a poster on the thread above is correct - DO NOT take your AS to the Fallingwater parking lot - you'll never get it out.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
falls church , Virginia
Thank you!

First of all, thanks for the responses. I've never camped at a Yogi Bear park, having no children, I don't think that my wife and I have much business at those places, but I could be wrong about that. We have had plenty of great times at KOA's though. Any idea how far the Madison PA KOA is from Fallingwater? This sounds very promising. Thanks again Mark
Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 AM   #6
Alumaholic

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ohio
We stayed at Ohiopyle State Park, (on the same road as and only minutes to Kentuck Knob), when we went to see Fallingwater. Nice state park, showers,elec., etc. Seemed to us a convenient location for the entire Laural Highlands area. (Nice rails to trails for bikes/hikes nearby with beautiful scenery along Youghoheny River if you're into biking/hiking...I believe the trailhead is @ Ohiopyle if i remember correctly)
Pennsylvania State Parks - Ohiopyle - PA DCNR

Hope this is of help and not too late, I just noticed this thread and wanted to share our info.

Brad
campernut64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Jefferson Co , Ohio
We also stayed at Ohiopyle State Park, nice setting and close to all attractions. Be sure to visit the river and bike or walk the trail, also a great spot to view trains.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Falling Water is a worthwhile site. FLW was quite a visionary in regard to stunning effect, but also somewhat lacking in practical application. Both traits are readily apparent at Falling Water. You will enjoy the look around. Allow plenty of time, and consider the private tour, if you are an enthusiast. I will drag out my camping log and find where we stayed in the area.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Tiki Trailer,

We live only about 45 minutes from Falling Water and Kentuck Knob. Both are wonderful visits and the aforementioned Ohio Pyle and it's State Park is wonderful (plan on strolling through town and eating an ice cream here). Fallingwater can get quite busy on a Saturday- I would go online ahead of time and purchase tickets ($15/ adult I believe and you may be able to get a discount if you buy tickets for both houses at once). DO NOT take your trailer into FW- not a good situation- the roads around it can get a little hairy as well. As for camping, try Tub Run Campground in Confluence, PA 877-444-6777- not super fancy but quite and pretty close to FW and KK. Confluence is a quaint little town with a few restaurants and a park- make sure to try River's Edge Cafe. If you want to treat yourselves to a really upscale meal (the Sunday brunch is awesome) you can try Nemacolin Woodlands- which is nearby (15 minutes) on route 40- www.nemacolin.com- also great PGA golfing and a spa! Let me know if you want any other questions answered about the area- or roads. When are you planning on visiting?

-April Hershberger
Old 02-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Tiki Trailer

You might check out Benners Meadow Run campground in Farmington, Pa. just outside Ohiopyle State park,nice place,about 15-20 minute drive to Fallingwater. Also check out Laurel Highlands Vistors Bureau. Good luck!
dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
falls church , Virginia
Wow, Thanks again. This weekend trip will wither be in early May or anytime after July 4th. Brenner's Meadow Run Campground looks perfect too. I've got no problems with KOA's, but I'd rather stay in smaller, private-owned campgrounds any day and this place looks great. Cheers
Old 02-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hey falls church!

i'm a d.c. native, and have friends in alexandria and annandale...

2air'
Although I'm a NY native I lived in DC for 27 years. We lived in the District just off Connecticut Ave. We still have many close friends in the DC area.

I've been to Fallingwater a few times (after all I am an architect) but have never camped it.
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Wellesley , Massachusetts
Suggestion on where to stay when seeing Kentuck Knob

Dear Tiki Trailer,
When my son and I went to Kentuck Knob 3 years ago this summer, we were staying at a terrific state campground east of Morgantown - Cooper's Rock State Forest. It's very secluded, there are about 6 trailer sites, and you can reach the Knob quickly as well as see a lot of history in northern WV - for example, Arthurdale. Another little-known spot which I think has trailer sites is at Mill Run, PA, up the road from Fallingwater.
Most important for Airstreamers to check out, my son and I have wonderful memories of a gutted Airstream located near some maintenance sheds or garages to the west of the house at Kentuck Knob - again, this was 3 summers ago. The Airstream was open, and what an experience it was to step inside! I'm guessing the English titled family who own the property were in the process of renovating it - given their interest in high modern and postmodern art as scattered around the grounds. You could ask about this.
Enjoy your visit to a great (if unlivable) house,
Airmobile7
airmobile7 is offline   Reply With Quote