Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2015, 09:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Disneyland Fort Wilderness

Has anyone stayed at Fort Wilderness? Looking for any specific intel that could help save time or money. The premium spots are running $135/night which seems a bit ridiculous. The low end spots which I assume accommodate a 25ft International are at $85. Thanks for the help; not sure if this is the place to post.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
Has anyone stayed at Fort Wilderness? Looking for any specific intel that could help save time or money. The premium spots are running $135/night which seems a bit ridiculous. The low end spots which I assume accommodate a 25ft International are at $85. Thanks for the help; not sure if this is the place to post.

Correction: DisneyWORLD in Orlando, FL.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Arlington , Virginia
We have stayed at both a couple years ago-I just remember the basic spots being a bit further from the ferry launch for the parks, but closer to the pool. There was more gravel (fine) instead of paved areas but they were level.
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Thanks for the feedback. So the smaller spots had hookups and everything right?
Old 01-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Arlington , Virginia

Yes-as long as it states they are trailer/RV specific, meaning not for tent campers. Some of them have hookups, but only for a pop-up type of camper (space is too small for an RV or travel trailers and the site will be listed as such). The main differentiation that we could see with the premium spots were that they were fully paved, had picnic tables, etc, and were closer to the ferry pickup.
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We stayed there October 2013. We had a full hookup site. Concrete pad, level, enough room to back in the trailer and keep the truck in front of the hitch. Very clean. While the campsites are close their are trees and shrubs between the sites. The sewer connection is encapsulated in a stainless steel sink. Cable is at each site but its not HD. After each quest leaves the staff cleans up the campsite, blows leaves and pine needles off the pad, cleans the table and the stainless sewer sink. There are recycling containers and trash cans, not big smelly dumpsters.

Ours campsite loop was about 1/2 between the entrance and the boat dock but you could easily walk to the dock. The shuttle stop was at the entrance to our loop. The shuttle takes you to the bus stops for the buses to the parks and to the dock. There is no food court like the resorts just expensive dinner shows, one restaurant and a tavern that sells pizza and wings. I'd rather spend the money at the Wilderness Lodge restaurant.

If you have a pet make sure you reserve a site in a pet friendly loop.

There was no pool near our loop so we took the shuttle to a pool. We went to one that was far away from the main pool so it was mostly adults and quiet.

Electric golf carts can be rented and many do but they are expensive. You have to be on the look out for them if walking around. The restrooms have showers and there is a laundry. The restrooms are spotless.

You can watch the fireworks from the beach.

Check in is a good experience. I think we paid about $95 but currently its $118.

Because it was October a lot of the RVs were decorated for Halloween.

Overall a great RV experience.

Kelvin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream in DW.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	230595  
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:09 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
When you factor the cabins are $450ish (depending on season) and hotels in the area are also about that a night $135/night is a bargain.

Fwiw, we stayed in a premium site in March 2014 because we were trying to get closer to friends staying in a cabin and decided the regular full hookup sites were where we'd rather be. They seemed to be further spaced and had more tree cover. Disney has come through in the past few years and added more premium sites which has them wedged in closets each other. It didn't really bother us too much because with our kids we'd leave first thing in the morning and drag in very late at night. Next time we go back we want to schedule a longer trip and spend more time in Ft Wilderness.

The bus systems are great and the bathhouses are wonderful. In the mornings the Magic Kingdom is a short boat ride away from the campground. You really can't beat being right across the lake and paying a fraction of the price, not to mention having your own bed!

Our only complaints would be the price is steep for s campground (but a bargain for disney) and the premium sites are tightly packed and have way fewer trees, but many private campgrounds are set up this way to maximize revenue.

I read a review from Someday59 and she summed it up well, to paraphrase:

Every little thing that seems to bug you at other campgrounds, disney seems to have gotten right here.

Maintenance is up to date and spot on. The facilities are fabulous. The activities and recreation is wonderful. We love traveling to the Fort and don't get to go enough.
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:44 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
We stayed in a premium site the first part of December, 2014. Long paved site, lots of vegetation, full hookups, spotless grounds. The bathrooms were immaculate. Spent about zero time at the campsite enjoying all the amenities. If you're at Disney world, you're there for the theme parks. The transportation within the park to the ferry taking you to the Magic Kingdom or the other parts of Disney World is very efficient. Besides all the other good comments here my only different advice would be to get hold of a "crowd calendar" that I found somewhere on the net, and if you can, choose a vacation time when the crowd is lowest. We went when the crowd was 2-3 out of 10 and I still thought it was crowded. I can't imagine a day at the park when the crowd level is a 8-9-10. We heard it's shoulder to shoulder and you're waiting long lines for everything. The prices of the campsites are based on demand, and if you choose a time when the crowds are lowest, the prices are cheaper.
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:57 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Once you determine what price you wish to pay the rest is already taken care of. Everything is clean and attractive, deer run about, staff are attentive and all Disney activities are no more than a short walk and a shuttle or bus ride away. You couldn't ask for anything better if you wished to be close to Disney. Actually, if you never went to one of the major parks and you only checked out the restaurants and other activities you'd still enjoy yourselves. Hoop Dee Doo Review is a fun dinner show, the campground pool is busy when school is out but kids love it, there was a petting zoo when we were there, outdoor Disney movie I a big screen at night, etc...
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:13 AM   #10
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Ah Fort Wilderness, our favorite campground. We live 70 towing minutes away and go 4 or 5 times per year. They know me by name at the check-in bays. Not really, but we have lost count. With Florida resident passes, a 4.4 year old grandson, and with me a former cast member, we go a lot. It's just the way to do Disney, even for locals - you can eat, sleep, hangout, play, etc. at your second home when you've had enough of the parks. Amazingly, Fort Wilderness is the quietest campground I have ever been in with 800 campsites. Everyone is either at the parks or asleep.

We almost always go mid September, early December, and early February. We sometimes go another time or two depending on our whims. There are 4 levels of sites, partial, full, preferred, and premium. We've never booked a partial because they are small and don't have sewer. We sometimes use a full site (loops 1600-1900), and since we got our Pete (Airstream 27FB) we usually use preferred (loops 100-300) for easy access to the beach/boat to MK. Premiums are nice, with more concrete pad and space (it's where the 45' 4 slide rigs go), but of course cost the most. Read more here : Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground Fact Sheet

Yes it's expensive this time of year. It's winter (and there are surprisingly quite a few RVers who spend months there, paying nightly retail just like us !) It's also coming up on Spring Break, Easter, etc., and Disney knows they'll pay it! For us, we try to time our trips based on crowd levels and nightly rates at the Fort. You can search this information for planning purposes.

I hope this helped, and let me know whenever someone plans an Airstream rally there so we can fill a loop with Airstreams!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Papaw's iPhone 109.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	500.9 KB
ID:	230598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Papaw's iPhone 058.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	230599  

ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Arrived day after Labor Day in a Premium site. Waited till mid day the next day to drive around a nearly empty park and picked a new spot. We went with a preferred site off by it's self. The premium sites to us are not as desirable as described above. We have been doing this for more years than I care to admit but lets just say I have been going to Disney since they were allowing employee's kids to test ride before it was open to the public.

It has and will remain one of our all time favorite parks and not just for the Disney attractions either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DW Sept 2 2012.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	230605  
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Bring your bikes! It's a great way to get around the campground and to the ferry. Safe sidewalk paths go through the whole campground.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Just listening in cause one of these days I'll find myself making plans to spend some time there.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
We stayed Fort Wilderness when only cg, epcot only started prelim. burning to clear for constr. Good deal as all pools w/towels no entry fees rides free monorail every thing free movies at cg at night free ferrys to theme park etc. all free. I don't no what is included in price at ft wilderness now but then was terrific deal and experience for 2 sons
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Bump for future use. Good thread.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
First time we went, we did not stay in a premium site. The pea gravel was awful! Premium sites are pricey, but very nice!! Great place to walk around and spotting the early morning deer was a bonus!

Laura & Tom
Old 01-18-2015, 04:11 PM   #17
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida

ShinyPete, when did you work there? The wife and I worked there from 1980-82. I drove monorails, she worked in Fantasy Land. Best job ever!

I love Fort Wilderness. Last time we went, my youngest was finally old enough to turn loose with her friend and let them run. We saw more interesting things when we weren't looking to entertain the kids. They had a great time, we had a great time. I could just hang out in the campground, if I've got somebody to sit around and talk to. The singalong with Chip and Dale is fun...

The cost of the golf carts at Ft Wilderness is what inspired my pedal buggy, although I made it a little too wide... Version 2 will be narrow enough to make the golf cart paths at Ft Wilderness. Longboard got me around really well also, although they say no skateboarding. No one ever stopped me, but I'm pretty mellow on the board...

If you've never been in the parks, map out a plan, work from one end to the other, otherwise you'll waste all your time walking. It's a big freaking park... Especially EPCOT.

Can't wait to have grandkids and take them camping in the Airstream at Disney... How awesome is that for a kid, or a grandparent?

-Red, jonesing for Disney now...
Old 01-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Spent 4 days and nights at DisneyWorld for our 42nd wedding anniversary in late 2013. Absolutely right about it being a lot of fun for adults. Got a lot of interested conversations on the anniversary.

Fun fact: The dog vacation ended up costing us more than Disney--4 doggies in a nice dog spa in Alabama was fun for the doggies. Next time I want to take the AS to Fort Wilderness and bring doggies along to save money. They'll nap all day and we'd be close enough to feed and walk them ourselves.

Yep, really want to go back soon. Disneyland is nice but the Florida complex is a lot grander scale.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:34 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Classic
Fayetteville , North Carolina
Wonderful place but check out KOA

By far Disney is the best but if you can't get in check out the KOA in Kissimee it is one of the finest I have ever stayed at. The bathrooms are spotless and great location, just down the street from Disney.
Lets travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Yep, I'm not sure which KOA you are talking about, but we have stayed at KOA on Lake Whippoorwill and it is WONDERFUL! Definitely a little further from Disney, but a wonderful campground!

Laura & Tom