Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
2008 Disney Fort Wilderness Not So Scary Halloween Boo To Do

There are a few of us who have reservations for Halloween Week in Fort Wilderness Camp Ground – we have requested adjacent sites in Loop 300 – close to the trading post/boat dock and pet friendly.
Last year we had a blast at Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party – plan to go again on the 30th this year.
As last year, the evening of the 31st will find us at the camp grounds willing to barter pieces of pirate loot for anything of perceived value.
Last year there were at least a dozen other Air Streams camped in the park – if a couple of Forum ‘Streamers are interested we might apply for a “Group Gathering” status for reservations.
Don’t know if “Group Gathering” does anything to insure reservations or price breaks, but it may be worth a shot.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
That sounds like a blast. We have started going to FW at New Years (several other times a year, too, b/c we're pretty close) but we have to book it a year in advance. Since it's Halloweeen do you think there will be any open spaces at this point?

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

englewood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradhstream View Post
Since it's Halloweeen do you think there will be any open spaces at this point?
We go to FT W frequently. Keep calling if you want a space there and many times they have openings but you have to book for more than one or two nights. But call and call again. It's a pain, but sadly the way to get in. They usually won't tell you but if you vary the nights you want, you can usually get in. It's a very strange booking system.
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
My wife and I were there last year, and had a great time. Here's a video we shot of the campground all decked out in Halloween decor...

Airstream RV Blog #57 - Disney's Fort Wilderness on Vimeo
Old 10-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Michael View Post
My wife and I were there last year, and had a great time. Here's a video we shot of the campground all decked out in Halloween decor...

Airstream RV Blog #57 - Disney's Fort Wilderness on Vimeo
These blogs cut in and out unless I access them by going thru youtube.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
These blogs cut in and out unless I access them by going thru youtube.
Sorry, the Vimeo files are true high-definiition and require a high speed connection for smooth download. You can always pause the video and let it load completely before pressing play.

Alternatively, you can check out the Disney video on YouTube here:

And our YouTube Channel is here:

YouTube - walkaboutgroup's Channel

Thanks! Ft. Wilderness is a blast. We may go back for the Christmas season this year.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We just got back from the MNSSHP over this past weekend. The event is great! We have done this event for the past three years, and now fourth. We were at the park the night Hurricane Wilma came to town three years ago. Fortunately we were staying in one of the hotel resorts and not the campground that weekend.

We did the Haunted Hay Ride two years ago and it was a blast. Last year they changed the story and it wasn't as good. This year they did the Haunted Carriage Ride and it included the Legend of Sleepy Hollow again, but it turned out to be a real yawner. If you go to this link you can "see" the Haunted Hay Ride version we enjoyed first: .

Because we went so early, there weren't as many decorations in the campground as there will be later in the month. We did see a fellow airforums.com member while we were there. We also did the Food and Wine Festival while we were there.

We also go every year either the week leading up to Christmas or the week between Christmas and New Year's. This year we will be going between Christmas and January 1 and going to the First Weekend Shindig at Topsail Hill State Park from 1/1-1/4/09.

I am planning on doing a Grand Gathering Rally in a year or two for the MNSSHP and Food and Wine Festival. The Grand Gathering doesn't get a discount or special rates or anything like that. What it will do is Disney will try to put all of us together in the same loop and will make a few group things available that aren't available to individuals like there is a desert party/group viewing area at the Odyssey Pavilion that is a for pay event, but you get to share inside a climate controlled building with a view of Illuminations. There are a couple of other things that are available, too.

We always request loop 300 and were in site 319 this trip. Loop 300 has a play ground and basket ball half court and there is an off leash dog park next to the entrance to the loop. It also has cable, but there was a problem with the cable this trip and only a few channels were coming in.

I think the MNSSHP is the best event Disney does. It is their best parade and best fireworks show. You won't be sorry you did it!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Halloween at Fort Wilderness - 2008

What a blast we had again this year. The weather was PERFECT 40's in the morning, high 70's in the afternoon - barely a hint of rain all week - clear, blue sky - and stars - all week long.

Halloween night truely has to be experienced in the park - sort of what Halloween was in Small Town America in the 50's and 60's. Everyone dresses up, and the kids are safe to roam the campground and try for the best treats around.

We had a "Pirate" theme again this year, and gave out copious quantities of Mardis Gras beads and various sugar and chocolate treats. The weather was great, crowds were sparse, and no lines to speak of.

I did 2000 miles in 5 days of driving, and really did not get tired...400 miles the first day, 300 the second - did the Florida Cave State Park (great park and great small cave) on the way down, and 300 miles the third day. Going back we left at 8:30 in the morning, and 13 hours and 600 miles later we were in the New Orleans area of Louisiana. An easy 400 miles later we were back in Houston. The 3/4 ton "shortie" Dodge van and the 31' trailer are a pretty good match. I averaged about 10 mpg with the 360 cid gasser, but was never really in the "Max MPG" mode. Filled up with $1.93 gas in East Houston when I got back on Sunday, Nov.2.

As last year, we stayed in Loop 300. Lots of advantages for this loop - close to transportation, pet friendly, and seems to be very Halloween oriented.

There were about a half dozen other AirStreamers in the park on Halloween week - mostly newer units - one new unit had no idea of either WBCCI OR the Forums - he had picked up his new '06 AS on a "fire sale" off of e-bay. He threw in a lowball offer and it was accepted. Another was a retired engineer who was full timing in the park - and had recently hired on full time with Disney as a "Character Keeper". One other, a '88 Excella 1000 was in one of the "retirees" loop - owned since 1991 by a retired Proctor and Gamble warehouseman, it had been there for about a month. The owner graciously took time to regale us of tales of his 17 years of retirement and travel in the Excella.

There was a gathering of about a dozen TAB trailers in one of the Western Loops - they all seemed to be enjoying themselves.

I'm all for a Forum gathering next year, but it HAS to include Haloween Night.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Great picture; looks like a really nice time. we've been planning to hit Fort Wilderness for a couple of years now, but never seem to make it.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I was planning to do a Ft. Wilderness Fall Rally during Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party weekend with the Food & Wine Festival going on at the same time. I originally planned for next fall, but it looks like it will probably be the next fall.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote