Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
This thread has really got me interested in a Spring trip to Savannah area. What campgrounds would you recommend? Thanks!

Bob
Indiana, PA
TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Skidaway island state park!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
Take care Matt and Steph.See yall in a few days.
T&P
Wooden Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
This thread has really got me interested in a Spring trip to Savannah area. What campgrounds would you recommend? Thanks!

Bob
Indiana, PA
TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
The entire coastal area from St. Augustine up through Charleston is worth exploring, if you've a mind to go. Lots of nice state parks, ferries to take, Cumberland island to explore and beautiful little towns to poke around.

Love, love, love that part of the country.

Alumalina 2013 is coming up, too, folks.

Maggie
Old 12-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Commerce , Texas
Quote:

Bob
Indiana, PA
TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
River's End RV park on Tybee Island. About a 15 minute drive to Savannah.
billymyers56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
You guys rock for reading these, or you're bored.

Update:

Well, we've wasted enough time here in Atlanta to spend another night. The traffic is horrible, but it's a few miles to the Marta station where we hop on the train and ride in. We love public transportation and regularly take advantage of it, beats paying for parking ($25 if you have an rv, we're not paying that much for full hook ups most places) and the hassle of traffic.

We saw the world of coke, Olympic centennial park and toured the Capitol building. We also walked 23628163 miles - or so it felt.

Today was a milestone also in we left Boris our Boxer in the airstream for more than an hour or so. We opened the door with one eye shut worried about what we might find, but he did great.

Chili cheese slaw dogs at the Varsity for dinner, a family movie and bed beckons. Tomorrow savannah and the coast!
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus View Post
You guys rock for reading these, or you're bored.

Update:

Well, we've wasted enough time here in Atlanta to spend another night. The traffic is horrible, but it's a few miles to the Marta station where we hop on the train and ride in. We love public transportation and regularly take advantage of it, beats paying for parking ($25 if you have an rv, we're not paying that much for full hook ups most places) and the hassle of traffic.

We saw the world of coke, Olympic centennial park and toured the Capitol building. We also walked 23628163 miles - or so it felt.

Today was a milestone also in we left Boris our Boxer in the airstream for more than an hour or so. We opened the door with one eye shut worried about what we might find, but he did great.

Chili cheese slaw dogs at the Varsity for dinner, a family movie and bed beckons. Tomorrow savannah and the coast!
You will love savannah!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 12-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
We did Christmas along the South Carolina coast just to be near our daughter and the gandkids. We had a great time just because we were near them. The weather was often cold or wet or both, but we didn't care. Can't say I'd recomend it as a vaction spot except for Charleston, SC. A great historic city and well worth putting on a list of places to see.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Well, the good thing about not making any reservations until you're on the road for your next destination is sometimes you get really lucky and get some great spots! We are in Fort Mcallister State Park just south of Savannah, and it's a great place. My wife, armed with an atlas and a smartphone lined us out for two nights here, a night in Little Talbot island for New Years and then somewhere else in Florida on the beach Tuesday night. That leaves us only technically homeless for Wednesday night, because Thursday starts out reservations at Canopener!

There is another airstream here! It's an Ambassador, but we haven't gone over and said hi yet. That's only the second one we've seen since we left home, those guys are scarce! :Wally:

Tomorrow is exploration, ribs and chicken quarters on the smoker. Let us know you're coming, I'll throw more on!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Ditto on the not seeing many Airstreams. We only spotted three other Airstreams while on our two week trip. One newer wide body, one restored clasic (a real beauty!) and one Airstream 180 RV.
What's up here? Did all of the other AS owners stay home on Christmas?
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Well, the good thing about not making any reservations until you're on the road for your next destination is sometimes you get really lucky and get some great spots! We are in Fort Mcallister State Park just south of Savannah, and it's a great place. My wife, armed with an atlas and a smartphone lined us out for two nights here, a night in Little Talbot island for New Years and then somewhere else in Florida on the beach Tuesday night. That leaves us only technically homeless for Wednesday night, because Thursday starts out reservations at Canopener!
Yep, this is how to do it in most instances, in our humble opinion. . You will likely not have trouble finding something for Wednesday night.

If you have an iPad, iPhone or smartphone, there is a great app called Campwhere, which shows on a map all the public campgrounds and then provides a link to specifics on each. It is free and wonderful. We have found just a couple of errors in the last couple years of use.

We like to also pick up a free state map for each state we go into, which frequently has not only public campgrounds listed but interesting sites you might otherwise miss, such as small, local museums.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 12-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Savannah - Wow!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Savannah - Wow!
Did you make ot to river street? Lots of really neat restaurants there!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 12-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
We did get down to river street. We didn't eat anything down there except for pralines b/c we had ribs and chicken quarters on the smoker back at Ft. Mcallister.

The pralines were delicious, especially the hot ones they were giving out as samples.

We should have brought our dog, everyone else seemed to have. Old historic Savannah is a very dog-friendly community.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
Matt,
Hope you took plenty of pictures for us to see at Canopener.Such a cool trip.Hope everyone has fun.
Tom
Wooden Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Florida! Sixty degrees and the sun is shining!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Its a beautiful day today! ....rain wednesday/thursday, then sun again!
Drive safe, keep the shiny side up!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 12-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
We just got home yesterday and this thread makes me want to hook up and go right away. We dashed by Road Ruler and Hoover Beach on Dec 17, saw 1 other Airstream at Rock Hill and hooked up shore power at Edisto Island on Dec. 19. Only half a dozen campers and an empty beach except for those of us from the frozen north who thought the weather was great. One other Airstream at the camp ground belonging to Sue who was trying to sell her 31? Ft Classic. Traffic in Charleston was terrible except for downtown which seemed to be relaxing comfortably in a finer era. We spent Christmas in Fort Lauderdale at the finest ( most cost effective) campground in America. ( my son's front yard) We headed north via 75 in order to miss the nasty weather in West Virginia and saw two Airstreams and 5 million MH and 5th wheels headed south. 14.7 mpg. About 3000 miles. Now I have to go to work on Tuesday.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
What a haul! We've got 1100 miles so far, we've seen four Airstreams and one Six Metre single axle Argosy (I'd never seen one of those). We spent the night last night on Little Talbot Island state park and I highly recommend this place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-5517566.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	547.6 KB
ID:	175674

It's 7:45 in the morning and over fifty degrees already here, we're cooking breakfast outside. Do we have to go home?

Today it's St Augustine and then Gamble Rogers Park for tonight. Tomorrow we're looking at Manatee Springs and then we'll see a lot of you at Canopener!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Is that not one of the most beautiful areas, ever?

So glad you were able to get on the road.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 01-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
It's awesome over here, and we're taking the A1A down the coast with a day in St Augustine.