Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Cherrystone ?

We are thinking about another trip to Virginia, last time it was to Virginia beach which we throughly enjoyed but this time we are considering the eastern shore area. Cherrystone campground in Cheriton looks interesting as I would like to try crabbing and want to do some fishing as well. Like to get the thoughts of any one who has been to this area. We will be going the first half of September ,hurricane season permitting.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
We are thinking about another trip to Virginia, last time it was to Virginia beach which we thoroughly enjoyed but this time we are considering the eastern shore area. Cherrystone campground in Cheriton looks interesting as I would like to try crabbing and want to do some fishing as well. Like to get the thoughts of any one who has been to this area. We will be going the first half of September ,hurricane season permitting.
My Airstream family is on the Eastern Shore of VA right now staying at Kiptopeke State Park, just a few miles down Route 13 from Cherrystone. We *highly* recommend this state park campground: Large sites, 4 way hookups (30amp electric, water, sewer and cable TV), beach on the bay side, fishing pier, boat ramp and it's way less money then Cherrystone. You can book this campground online at ReserveAmerica.com. It does not have a pool or video arcade as it's a state park - this is a plus for my family.

When you come to the Eastern Shore of VA be sure to eat at Sting-Rays Gas Station. Fantastic soft shell blue crab and they have a great selection of high quality wines (go figure!).

Oh, they do not offer WiFi, I'm attached to the Internet via my Treo 700w cell phone and my laptop computer.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Agree

The state park is great and inexpensive.

Paula
Old 07-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Amen about Kiptopeke - great park with great facilities. Fishing pier and swimming area. And where else can you get a great view of concrete ships?

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Thumbs up

Thanks for the suggestion. Stingrays sounds like my kind of place any other places we should hit?
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
Thanks for the suggestion. Stingrays sounds like my kind of place any other places we should hit?
The Eastern Shore of VA is (currently) quiet, farm country. So it's simple pleasures that are available. We enjoyed watching birds and deer from the campground beach and nature trails. We loved seeing the crabs on the beach at dusk. At night the stars were bright and nearly touching the ground near our Airstream. As for man made attactions: There is a nice little Irish Pub in Cape Charles that is housed in an old bank, you need to pass through the vault to get to your table. Also in Cape Charles there is a water tower that has been made to look like a lighthouse. Up route 13 (about 70 minutes) are the famous ponies, still living wild and free (think Misty, who we were told is stuffed and folks can view her at a local museum -yuck). I have more info on things to do. Just too tired tonight as we just did a 13 hour run from the Eastern Shore of VA to New Boston, NH.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote