Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
CARLSBAD NM to Las Cruces AVOIDING EL PASO

I had lived south of the check points all my life, imo they are gastapoesque...

There is one just south of Alamogordo, but no stop going south.

There is another just north of Las Cruces on I-25, another just west of Las Cruces on I-10, and another just west of Van Horn, Texas on I-10.

I have been through these places literally hundreds of times. I have never really been hassled going through except one time when a guy with no personality at all insisted on looking in my trailer.

Still, I object to these check points because this is America, not 1960s East Germany.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #22
Ganado

Peoria , Arizona
Gene is right they have check points for boarder patrol and sometimes if they are launching missiles they close I-25. (well you have your airstream stop and have lunch if you get caught in this =). The Boarder Patrol is very abrupt occasionally but most of them are polite if you are polite. Dont let it worry you. Heck I used to get stopped out in the back of beyond when I was appraising large ranches. Most of them are just hard working guys that work in the heat in a dangerous situation with grumpy people. I figure its kinda hard to be cheerful all the time.
Ganado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
CARLSBAD NM to Las Cruces AVOIDING EL PASO

I support most all Border Patrol officers, (most are regular folks) and their mission in general, but the check points suck.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1425846803.759023.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	233857

BPCP.....

Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I suppose there are roads around them, but there are permanent ones and mobile ones. The internet has some websites about this: http://www.google.com/url?q=https://...HRopt6Lwlfytxw

The Border Patrol has nearly absolute power to take your stuff, especially at a border crossing, and detain you while they assess your "suspicious" behavior. Their official website is kind of over the top including statements that undocumented aliens do not care about this country (why would they stay here then?) and showing that they have all the power and you don't: US Border Patrol Being Detained Note that the sense of that is that if you flee, they will shoot you, so the penalty for attempting to flee is death without any court acting.

Some people refuse to ask the inevitable first question—"Are you an American citizen". Some make videos of the encounter. What Happens If You Don't Cooperate At Inland Check Points? | Fronteras Desk

But the court cases that I recall from law school said they can stop you 200 miles from the border, though some stuff I've seen says it is 100 miles. The permanent checkpoints are less than 100 miles from the border. They have also stopped buses near Rochester, NY, looking for Mexicans. There seems to be no limit on what they can do including tearing your car and RV apart looking for contraband. When they go into your RV, you are kept away from it, so they may be going through your clothing, personal papers, computer, camera memory, money you have there, your prescriptions, etc. No warrant is required. There are claims that at DUI checkpoints, you don't have to open the window or talk to the cop, or you can have some written statement of your rights and hand it to them through a crack in the window. I don't think that works all the time, maybe none of the time. If the officer has "reasonable suspicion" you are in trouble. To people trained to be suspicious, what is reasonable is almost always decided in their favor.

This may be the town where people can't go anywhere without having to stop at a chexkpoint. The Border Patrol is being sued for haraasment: Border Patrol sued for harassing at Arivaca checkpoint

I just stay away from the southern border. I'm kind of curious about what Tombstone looks looks like, though I suspect it is a tourist trap, but there's a checkpoint just north of there. The only time we've been stopped at any kind of checkpoint was in Santa Fe when we were trying to get to a movie in time. The cop asked if I'd been drinking—I guess everyone gets that question. If you had a half a beer and say "no", you can be charged with obstructing justice even if you are not impaired. Those are leading questions.

You can tell a cop he or she is wrong, is doing something stupid or represents evil. The 1st Amendment protects our right to tell off the authorities. I have told border cops when we've come from Canada that they should have better things to do besides looking for fruit, but if they are having a bad day, are oversensitive, are trying to prove something to the boss, or whatever, I could have been detained for hours and our vehicles ripped apart. They may be able to seize your vehicle for minor things, maybe even fruit. They can keep all your computers to look for bad things and you may never get them back as they get lost in bureaucracy. I think you have to put your vehicles back together yourself. The border patrol checkpoints do not have quite the power of stations on the border, but they have more power than all the local and state police and even the FBI.

Different people have different ideas about "freedom" and some will sacrifice freedom to feel safe. Some never feel safe. I don't care for the presumption I have done something wrong and can be detained and/or searched without any court process. This wasn't what this thread was about in a narrow sense, but I thought the OP might want to know about checkpoints.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
A year ago we drove from Austin, through Junction, Texas to Las Cruses, New Mexico, and back on I-10. We went through a checkpoint near the Texas, New Mexico border where they were weighing the big trucks, but let us go through the passenger car checkpoint and didn't even slow us down. Driving through El Paso in late morning was no problem. I would be much more hesitant about driving I-35 through Austin and on up towards Dallas. Just sayin...experiences vary.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Yeah, I35. is tons of fun - luckily i am south of Austin.

As far as border crossing - get signed up for a 'trusted traveler` program. Got a nexus card for entering/ exit US from CANADA and Mexico. Best 50 bucks i ever spent.
mrfrank9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I am generally very conservative and agree that safety at the expense of liberty is often a poor tradeoff, however please consider a couple of points. This is New Mexico - drunk driving capitol of the USA. A week doesn't go by we do not hear of an innocent person - or entire family getting wiped out by some drunk (and as a cruel irony, he usually survives). That cop at the check point has likely been on-scene for one of these bloody events.
Second, I'm willing to put up with a checkpoint that may help to stop the tens of thousands of illegal - er, I mean undocumented immigrants pouring across our southern border. And one of these days they will stop a group carrying something much more dangerous than fruit (perhaps in an Airstream?).
Yah - he's trained to be suspicious because there's a lot of bad people out there. The vast majority of these guys (and gals) are trying to protect you from them, not rummage through your trailer and steal your stuff.
Tip - Adjust your attitude. Smile. Ask him how's it going. Make sure he can see your hands. If it's dark, turn on your dome light. Thank him for his service.
mojofilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rather than stopping innocent people, perhaps New Mexico should look into why do many unhappy people live there and bury their pain in drinking. As for people coming into the US from Mexico, the number has decreased significantly and in some recent years more have left than come here. The border guards at the Canadian border have changed since 9/11. Customs agents used to be friendly; immigration agents not so much. Now it is one agency with many, many new hires. Many have an attitude—they do not know how to say "hello" or "welcome back"—they just launch into "passport" and go on from there.

What bothers me is that our legal system used to stop people for whom there was evidence they did something illegal. What checkpoints do is stop everyone regardless of evidence and because everyone becomes a suspect this way, detain some of them without cause.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote