Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
Campground Laundry Facilities

I am researching the feasability of installing a washer/dryer combo unit in my '49 Spartan. I have read several threads here that deal with these types of units and know most of what I need for an install if it happens.

The other aspect I need some feedback on is whether or not it is really needed. I plan on being on the road for up to four weeks at a time and having a way to do laundry without leaving the site is a plus. What I don't know is if it is necessary. If there are laundries at the camp there is no need for this option. Also when boondocking I won't be using the machine anyhow because of the power consumption. So there is really no need for this item if all campgrounds have facilities. I haven't been to many campgrounds since I was a kid. Do they all usualy have washing facilities?

Brent
at_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
We have traveled for 8 to 10 weeks at a time and never had any difficulty getting our laundry done. I'm sure it depends on the sort of places you stay, but you can always find a laundromat in town. I would rather have the space than a W/D in our rig.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
We had a washer/dryer combo. in our motorhome and it was great. We really miss it. However, almost all private campgrounds and many public have laundry facilities.
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Well, there's this, then there's that....

Just thinkin out load here....

I can only see a real need for private laundry facilities INSIDE your RV if you

A). have special laundry needs ie. VERY sensative skins that CANNOT tolerate soaps and the like....
B). are REALLY on the go ALL THE TIME... with no time for finding an 'all night laundromat' place.... but then where will you meet the neatest people?? Probably no time for that either - in this senario.
C). Got space? AS's are efficient, but then there is ALWAYS a 'want' list and seldom does more room not occupy at least 1 of those 'wants' slots. Have you got the space to 'waste' for a convenience item that realistically get little use? Excepting A and/or B, of course.

Again, just musing out loud here.... and W/D seems like something really over the top. Heck you have the best RV money can buy, and if 'it rocks you boat, then DO IT!"

My .02 cents.

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
We had the combo w/d in several of our sob and here are our thoughts :
1. they wash only very small loads ...3 items ...and take almost 2 hrs to do this
2. clothes go directly from wash to dry , so they come out wrinkled
3. nice if you have alot of time to devote to laundry
4. some campgrounds did charge extra for the extra water use
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have stayed out in the Airstream for as long as six weeks, and never felt the want or need to have an in-house laundry. The ones in the campgrounds are usually just fine.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
We agree with the posts above that sat you don't need the combo - we've never felt the lack of laundry facilities; there are always some place we can get it done. The secret is to have enough underwear and shirts packed - so you can make a week or more at a time.

Once you decide you need to do laundry, just declare a quiet day and get it done.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
My 2 cents,

We will soon be starting to full time and there will not be room for a w/d in our coach. I don't think I would want to use the space for it anyway. I plan on using the facilities in the campgrouonds or finding one near where we will be.

Any new items of clothing purchased will not require ironing, and can either be folded or hung up straight out of the dryer.

Marie