Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
No one is out there in Ham land on this road I'm travelling. Simple enough?
Absolutely!

I was just offering my opinion. Think of it this way, if more people took the test and learned about it, the more people there would be to talk to!

I'll bet there are HAM's out there on the roads you travel. (At least in range of those roads)

Mark
WL7NI
Subzero-AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Having access to both is a decent setup. I'm primarily ham radio, but I am licensed to do VHF, UHF and HF from the AS and TV. Someday I'll find a decent small CB to add to the mix when I travel more.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #43
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I do wish we had updated radio service to use on the road.

One can achieve 10-15 miles under decent conditions with CB and this covers immediate concerns. It's a bit more fun to have met on 19 (originally the hailing channel) and switch over to another and continue a conversation with another man driving in opposite directions long enough to capture details no map or website has available.

This takes more transmission and reception quality than a garden variety CB.

When it works, it works extremely well.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I do wish we had updated radio service to use on the road.

One can achieve 10-15 miles under decent conditions with CB and this covers immediate concerns. It's a bit more fun to have met on 19 (originally the hailing channel) and switch over to another and continue a conversation with another man driving in opposite directions long enough to capture details no map or website has available.

This takes more transmission and reception quality than a garden variety CB.

When it works, it works extremely well.
Slowmover,

You know that VHF communications can exceed that distance....as long as there are no large hills that separate you from the other half of the conversation. There is less interference. However, I do concede that there are a limited number of users. My only wish is that more people were interested enough to look into it.

Here in Anchorage, I operate a repeater that covers the entire Anchorage area where one can use a handheld with 1 watt of power. It is also connected 24/7 to the internet, so any nodes that are connected can converse at any given time.

Like I mentioned before, with the advent of cheap Chinese radios getting into the hobby has become very inexpensive. *I'm only talking about VHF/UHF* Getting into HF requires a LOT more money in equipment and antennas.

Mark
WL7NI
Old 04-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I have a ham license but no radio. What do you recommend for a hand held model?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I use a Yaesu VX-8 or similar because it can handle water splash.

I have an older one with GPS add-on and APRS capability, a bunch of spare batteries, and a hand mike.

For the truck I have an FTM-350 and the AS has an FT-857 built in with a permanent mount VHF whip on it. External HF antennas are connected through connectors in the fridge side vent area.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I don't trust the cheap Chinese handhelds--my VX-8 can and has taken a beating without issues.

A 50 watt VHF/UHF mobile radio with a good antenna in the TV, if I had no other radio, would be my first choice. More capability, better antenna, and close at hand with lots of battery power for emergency communications on the road.

I was Boeing's Huntington Beach radio officer supporting corporate emergent communications on HF.

KE4GNK.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #48
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Buying a CB

There likely won't ever be a repeat of the CB craze no matter the radio type. Except with small groups who jointly decide to equip themselves with matching type.

I'll say that if CB grows on one and one can overlook boorishness on occasion, then out in parts of real America there is steady use of this tool. And not just by truck drivers.

Cities and suburbia are not its real habitat. In reference, one can listen on 19 with an earphonein the city mega regions and be appalled. I just laugh. It's truckers blowing off steam versus running over soccer daddy in his F150 on the way to the Airstream storage (ha!).
Old 04-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I don't trust the cheap Chinese handhelds--my VX-8 can and has taken a beating without issues.

A 50 watt VHF/UHF mobile radio with a good antenna in the TV, if I had no other radio, would be my first choice. More capability, better antenna, and close at hand with lots of battery power for emergency communications on the road.

I was Boeing's Huntington Beach radio officer supporting corporate emergent communications on HF.

KE4GNK.

I agree, I have had several different Kenwoods and Yaesu radios. I currently use the FTM350 in my "soccer daddy" F-150 that only travels in the not so real parts of America towing only my Airstream. It's a nice, small compact unit with a lot of capability. It's a good thing that when I get away from suburban Anchorage, AK. that most of the highway system (outside of Anchorage) is covered by nodes connected to the reflector allowing me to have all sorts of conversations all over the world. The only problem is that I don't have to put up with boorish behavior

That being said, a couple of years ago I got a cheap Chinese Wouxun KG-UV3D. It has been extremely durable. I'm still on it's original battery. I do a lot of hiking in the mountains behind my house and I toss it in my bag. It has been through all sorts of weather from downpours to -15F temps. I spent $80 on it. So I am not afraid of breaking it. For the price of one Yaesu, I can but 3 of these. There are even cheaper models of dubious quality.

For anyone just wanting to try it out, the cheap Chinese models can't be beat.

Mark
WL7NI
Old 04-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Corona , California
In any case, the important thing is to have extra batteries and be able to operate the radio properly, including programming...

KE4GNK

Old 04-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Cb

Yes, WBCCI caravan's do use CB, which we did not have on a recent caravan we were on. 1st time we would need one in a great many years.
There must be an up to date alternate way to be in touch.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums[/QUOTE]
Old 04-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Nothing quite as easy or convenient as radio....

CB is an ok standard radio type.

Most other variants are not as widespread, or don't have the range. I'm talking walkie talkie type personal radios like GMRS or whatever.

Even though CB irritates me from a Ham radio point of view, once and done, it does work and is common.

Rich (CB call KPR7883 forever ago when you did have a license from the FCC)

KE4GNK

Old 08-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #53
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
This is ironic. I find myself trying to sell an iCom SSB I just took off the sailboat, and looking to buy a CB for the Ford. Isn't that like selling the Mercedes and buying a used Pinto?
Old 08-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Yes, but sometimes all you need is a Pinto (as long as nobody rear-ends it) 😄

Old 08-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #55
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
This is ironic. I find myself trying to sell an iCom SSB I just took off the sailboat, and looking to buy a CB for the Ford. Isn't that like selling the Mercedes and buying a used Pinto?

Very few ever go to the trouble to set up a good CB rig. No wonder, IMO, it is perceived as awful. It can be surprisingly good given what it is. Time and some effort.

1990 Silver Streak
Old 08-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #56
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
We still use cb in our dedicated tow vehicle. NOAA all hazards radio, trucker info, and simple chit chat are invaluable to us!
I'm currently using the new digital Cobra 29. $89 on Amazon, less decent antenna!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:06 PM   #57
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
We still use cb in our dedicated tow vehicle. NOAA all hazards radio, trucker info, and simple chit chat are invaluable to us!
I'm currently using the new digital Cobra 29. $89 on Amazon, less decent antenna!

What antenna? The rule of thumb is that a rig is 80% antenna system and 20% radio.

I'll revise my earlier recommendation to the SIRIO 5000 antenna and matching mag mount. Both on AMAZON.

The digital UNIDEN Bearcat series benefit by an amplified microphone. The digital Cobra may be the same. The 880 UNIDEN Bearcat is also a bargain radio for quality.

Hard to go wrong with ASTATIC RD104e amp mike. For non-amplified mic with noise canceling, my previous post suggestions.

A COBRA s500 external speaker. $30. The built in speakers are worthless. Will miss too much to rely on them.

I set these on my console armrest and use a pair of two inch wide Velcro straps around lid. Speaker on top. Run coax to right rear window. Power to cleanest 12V outlet. Gearkeeper to hang mike from visor.

A $15-20 SWR meter is enough to calibrate the the thing.

Best straight CB radio is the Galaxy 959.

Best low power "export" is the Galaxy 99V2. Incredible receive.

In both cases I mean the quality of the "ears" (reception). There are higher priced and more difficult to obtain radios, but these are excellent for the price. The littler radios above don't have the ears or the sound.

My son came thru south Texas from last USMC post in Japan before driving off to Connecticut and grad school. He's no more enamored of CB than most his age, but I set him up with a worked-over new Cobra 29 Classic I'd gotten in a trade last year, a Wilson mag antenna, Cobra spkr, and an RK56 mike. Retail on all that would be around $350. That's a fair price for a decent temporary CB setup.

Tuned the antenna on roof of his SUV and picked up a local driver at ten miles distant (and this was from a poor location). I now know he has something decent for a set of ears. I'll send him that SIRIO antenna system for Xmas. Later, a better radio.

Like another tool with controversy, I'm a strong believer in having a CB available. Too many years of having it pay off for me. Work or pleasure.

Nothing against true amateur radio. Hope to do that as I go along.

But first a better set of CBs for work truck, personal truck and travel trailer.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I turn on the CB if there seems to be a major slowdown to determine whether I need to look for an alternate route. I have an inexpensive Cobra with all the controls on the mic and a good mag-mount antenna. Otherwise, it is meaningless chatter, which I have to strain to decipher as I'm somewhat hearing impaired.

I am also a ham, and I have 2 handhelds - one is a Chinese one, which actually works surprisingly well on 2m/440 and can receive WX. I also have an Icom V7 2m,which is a quality transceiver. My HF gear is still an a box (Icom IC-740) and I have not as yet mounted the old Webster Bandspanner antenna - planning to, though. The 2m/440 rigs are FM, so the audio is crisp and clear

Last year I got a Garmin GPS when my TomTom gave me some difficulty (since resolved). The new Garmin also couples with my smartphone and it provides real-time info on road conditions (construction, accidents,etc).
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #59
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A large screen Garmin GPS (7"), a CB and WAZE has become a popular setup. And/or using Google Maps on a tablet. For truck drivers of my acquaintance.