Old 06-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
At Moab the Moab Brewery is a great place to take the family. Great beer, very good food, fun atmosphere. Very good Mexican at the Mexicanna. The Desert Bistro is very pricey.

Stop at the Tourist info. Center in downtown on the main street. Lots of very helpful stuff and helpful people.

John

Old 07-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Zion and Bryce were awesome. Zion was over a 100 degrees but Bryce was about 80 and pleasant. We did a great hike at Bryce. The scenery was very cool. Today we just hung out and got ready to leave for Moab. Donna was a little sick today but she's feeling better now and looking forward to Moab. Even though it was insanely hot I think we liked Zion the best. Next time we'll come in cooler weather and be able to hike more.

WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Made it to Moab today. We stocked up on food, checked out the downtown area and settled in. Man is hot today!! In the am I am going to ride my bike thru Arches then come back and get the family to check it out. Then at night we're taking a boat trip into Canyonlands for a light and music show. The next few days I'll ride out to Dead Horse Point and Canyonlands and who knows what else we'll do but I'll let you all know how it goes. We rearranged our schedule so we can visit Jackson Center on the way home. What a cool way to top off our trip.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 07-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Brian, good to follow your trip to all these familiar places. I get to re-live them. Where are you staying in Moab?—we stayed at the one a few blocks south of the center of town so we could walk around town.

There's a federal campground at Arches, a couple around Canyonlands and Dead Horse Pt. You probably know all that by now. If you take the road east from Moab along the Colorado R. (127 or 128) it's pretty narrow and that overhang on the south side of the road will be a test. I may have written that before, can't remember. Beautiful drive though. I hope you can get into the Needles at Canyonlands. Your truck may be too big to go over Elephant Hill (where the 4wd drive starts), but you could take bikes or rent a jeep. A spectacular area. I think you have to get permits; we were there many years ago before it got so crowded.

Glad you are doing well with the tow. Those first hours are pretty nervous. How's the backing going?

This trip west is the one where you find all the places you want to come back to and spend more time. Don't forget Colorado.

Gene
Old 07-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Brian, good to follow your trip to all these familiar places. I get to re-live them. Where are you staying in Moab?—we stayed at the one a few blocks south of the center of town so we could walk around town.

There's a federal campground at Arches, a couple around Canyonlands and Dead Horse Pt. You probably know all that by now. If you take the road east from Moab along the Colorado R. (127 or 128) it's pretty narrow and that overhang on the south side of the road will be a test. I may have written that before, can't remember. Beautiful drive though. I hope you can get into the Needles at Canyonlands. Your truck may be too big to go over Elephant Hill (where the 4wd drive starts), but you could take bikes or rent a jeep. A spectacular area. I think you have to get permits; we were there many years ago before it got so crowded.

Glad you are doing well with the tow. Those first hours are pretty nervous. How's the backing going?

This trip west is the one where you find all the places you want to come back to and spend more time. Don't forget Colorado.

Gene
Gene,
We're staying @ Moab Valley RV Resort. It's 2 miles past Arches and about 2 miles before the center of Moab, pretty much right at Rte 128. I am going to ride my bike up 128 and check it out. I like it here because it's close to Arches and not too far away from town. They are having quite a mosquito problem here though. They say it's because the river was so high this year, who knows. Anyway we went to Canyonlands and Dead Horse today. I thought Dead Horse was cool. After seeing everything we have I think my kids are becoming numb to the scenery. We walked up to Grandview point in Canyonlands, looked for a while and they said "ok let's go." Seriously they've been great it's just alot to take in.
The backing up has gone pretty darn good. I backed up a few times and Donna was like, "wow that was awesome!" I just think about it for a second or two, take my time and that's it. We had one interesting back up at a gas station. I pulled into a very busy place and didn't realize it was too narrow to pull out the other side. So with Donna guiding me I just backed out, swung around and left. To be honest that one was a little hairy!!
We won't forget Colorado. Actually we are headed there Sunday. That brings me to a question. How's Wolf Creek Pass to drive?? Donna is a little concerned with the elevation.
Other than some things going wrong with our AS everything is going great. And yes we are already talking about coming back....
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 07-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Looks like you're having a great time other than scenery overload. I recall that campground (I think) and don't think it was open when we went to Moab last November. I think it lacked trees.

128 doesn't allow 18 wheelers, but no ban on RV's. Just go slow through the narrow spots and hope a giant MOHO isn't coming the other way. If you have a good sense of the width of your Safari it should be ok. It is a nice drive and there are some things to see along the way around Fisher Tower. Wait 'til you see Cisco, the retirement community from hell.

Backing definitely should be done slowly. Sometimes I'm perfect, sometimes I'm terrible. Making the sharp corners in reverse is the most challenging. I think it just takes a lot of time to be really good at it.

I had the same gas station experience in Kingman, Arizona. The place was packed with cars, RV's, and I tried to look confident as I backed out, but some of the those people in the cars I was looking down at didn't look confident at all. I made it though without hitting anything.

They've rebuilt Wolf Creek Pass. Several years ago we went through while it was under construction. I don't know what it's like now. They put in tunnels, so I guess the grade isn't as bad as it used to be. All the major Colorado passes are very high, so there's no escape (unless you go through NM). Just take it easy and don't start out from Pagosa Springs with the fuel gauge on 1/8. I-70 was built for truck traffic and probably has the most gradual grades, but there are more passes on I-70 and it may be way out of the way for you. Are you going to the Sand Dunes? Wolf Creek Pass and one of the campgrounds on the east side were in "Vacation".

Gene
Old 07-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
I think we're ready for the elevation. We're going out 191 to 491 to 160 on our way to Mesa Verde. After a few days there we'll get on the W.C. Pass to get to Colorado Springs. Then we're headed home but not until we visit Jackson Center for the tour and hopefully getting some service while we're there. I'll keep a close eye on the fuel gauge as I have the whole trip, I wish it wouldn't move to the left so fast!!! Take care Gene
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 07-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Brian,

If you want to see some more isolated, less touristy Anasazi ruins, look up the various parts of Hovenweep NM in SW Colorado and there's one part in Utah. It's not that easy to get there and the final access are dirt roads and don't go if it's rained recently. It hasn't rained here in a month. Hovenweep is not anything as large as the ruins at Mesa Verde, but shows another aspect of that culture. Leave the trailer in Cortez or somewhere near. Before I think of 10 other places to visit, I'd better stop. You'll never get back to RI.

I swear I could actually see the fuel gauge move when we went up Monarch Pass (US 50) a couple of weeks ago. If you take 160 all the way over to I-25 at Walsenberg, you'll also go over La Veta Pass, a pretty mild one. Alamosa is the place to get gas in the San Luis Valley—there's a City Market on the north side of the highway with easy in and out for a trailer.

Gene
Old 07-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Donna tells me that 160 to I-25 is the way we're going so I'll look for the gas station in Alamosa. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 07-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Update time. We made it to Cortez no prob and we're at the KOA. Nice place and a cool Bambi just pulled in. We went to Mesa Verde today and it was pretty cool. Yesterday when we got here we drove out to the four corners spot to check it out. It was cool and kinda tacky all at the same time . Of course we took a bunch of silly pics so it was fun. Speaking of pics I've decided to wait until I get home and then post a bunch. We're here one more day and then onto Colorado Springs for a day or two and then we're headed home. On the way we're stopping @ the mothership for the tour and some service. I emailed them for an appointment and they got back to me today and we're in for the 14th. I wasn't going to bother with the service but the list has kind of been growing and on the last leg here one of the cabinet doors fell off so I figured, ok I need this stuff looked at while we're there. We're really looking forward to seeing the factory!! We'll talk with you again soon, take care.....
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 07-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
We should be pulling into Jackson Center tomorrow and have our baby serviced on Monday. We'll let you know how it goes.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 07-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #40
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Whatta-trip

Brian, Donna & Family

You have brought back some great memories for Sandra & I.

Zion was one of our favorites also. Another being Rocky Mtn. N.P.

Wind Cave in Montana, Going-to-the Sun Road, Glacier N.P.

And a great "old" section in Az. of the original RT.66.

Have a safe journey.. home

can't wait for the Photos.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
We're sitting in the customer lounge @ Airstream waiting for our baby to be finished. We have a short list that hopefully will be done today. I think it might take us into tomorrow but we'll see. I showed them the corrosion starting on all 4 wheels and along the belt line. They said they would check with the warranty coordinator and get back to me. I'll let you know what they say....
Thanks Bob and Sandra, it was a great trip. Now we're a little anxious to get this work done and get home. Our kids are ready to be home. Donna and I on the other hand could go longer!!!
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 07-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Brian,

I just took ours in for warranty work in Denver and had corrosion on the chrome strip at the bottom of the body—what you call the "belt line" I think. They replaced it with no questions though they did refuse a few other things claiming I should have seen them on the walk through. A letter will go to A/S on those tomorrow. My wheels are fine as is the body, so far.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. Fly the kids home and keep traveling!

Watch out for all those goodies in the gift shop. So tempting. We came home with A/S Xmas tree lights (up on one of the logs in our house) and a very expensive 75th anniversary A/S book. At least we kept it under $100.

Gene