Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2006, 11:11 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
We've taken our AS through Los Angeles several times headed to Disneyland from our home in San Luis Obispo (about 200 miles north of LA). We usually take I-5... busy but managable. Don't let the freeways scare you. They DO require a lot of attention, but if you take the advice already given, drive in the second lane from the right whenever possible, and stay alert, they really are no big deal. Personally, I don't like driving them at night with the AS.... difficult to judge distances when changing lanes with a lot of traffic.... but daytime travel is really no big deal. Just consider it all an adventure! Enjoy your stay at Newport.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Made it to Newport...

Well, we made it to newport. We just arrived a few hours ago from Mesa, AZ(Scottsdale). Here are a few observations along the way:
  1. Everyone drives FAST in Scottsdale. Loop 101 was 65 MPH speed limit and I had to do 70 just to avoid getting run over (without the trailer of course)
  2. Sedona is AWSOME. Highly recommended if you ever have a chance to go. I took I-17 up from Scottsdale and then Hwy 260 to Hwy 87 on the way back. Hwy 87 is a great alternative scenic route up the mountains. I even got to let the dogs out and let them play in the snow that remained along the forest floor.
  3. I think I need some guages for my diesel truck and learn how to read them and manage the truck in more "extreme" conditions. Clibling the mountains in Southern California on I-8 is much more than I have ever experienced before. I think (not sure) that I overheated my turbo? As I ascended the mountatins at 3000-4000 feet, by truck motor started to make a noise like a dive bomber heading down for me. The "dive bomber" whine was definitatly tied into the RPMs, and if I lowered my speed and RPMs, it went away, but obviously at a cost of some power. Slightly disapointing as I felt my diesel let me down a bit, but again, it may be a user issue since this is my first diesel (turbo diesel).
  4. I-5 in California has got to be one of the most bumpy roads I have ever been on. I have RAncho 9000s shocks on my truck, tuned to "7" when towing, and when I hit I-5, the rythmic breaks in the pavement would cause any speach between my wife and I to sound with a vibratto effect. I looked back in the rear view mirror and saw my Siberian husky sitting in place, het bouncing up and down like it was some little kid playing a pony ride on so grandpa's lap!
  5. One casualty thus far... a nice quarter sized rock chip on the truck windshield...
Other than that, pretty good so far. Thanks for all the suggestions in getting here. Prim and I really appreciated the advice.

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Kevin,

Fantastic that you arrived in So Cal. Enjoy Newport Dunes, too bad that we have rain for you tomorow.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:41 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Kevin: Great to hear you both are in town.

Yep: Sedona is great, it has been 10 years since Sherry and I had our first visit there, need to go back.

As to the truck noise on a downhill slope (although I am not the most knowledgeable one here) I believe the truck is designed to hold back the speed. For example I am driving a 2006 Ford Diesel with the 28 foot Safari, and have a built in brake system which is at 8.0 when in use. As soon as I start downhill the truck slows itself down, rpm's go up, and when I start to level out, put the foot on the accelerator, everything is back to cruise speed.

Enjoy So. Cal, and have a great trip back.

Robert/Sherry
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:32 AM   #25
_

. , .
hi bandit

hope you are enjoying the trip...have you got wifi at the rv park?

so the excursion doesn't have a turbo/boost gauge? seems any turbo drivetrain should come with a boost gauge...a basic need.

anyway, the turbo does whine louder at the boost climbs...on the f250s the boost registers from 0-40psi and somewhere i read prolonged boost about 35psi, isn't good...and above 30 it sings louder...

you don't mention at what speed you were climbing or distance on the ascent...it is easier to maintain speed than accerate on a long incline....at say 5% grade or above.

hard to predict if you cooked the turbo...but if so, just accelerating into traffic (not towing) should tell you....because no turbo will mean no quickness...and nasty noises...

you should get some gauges...like a stack for the 'a' pillar...with boost, oil temp, exhaust temp and tranny temp as the 4 basic needs...

what openhigher is describing is the 'tow/haul mode' which holds a gear during descents until the go pedal is pressed, and raises the shift points.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi bandit

hope you are enjoying the trip...have you got wifi at the rv park?

so the excursion doesn't have a turbo/boost gauge? seems any turbo drivetrain should come with a boost gauge...a basic need.

anyway, the turbo does whine louder at the boost climbs...on the f250s the boost registers from 0-40psi and somewhere i read prolonged boost about 35psi, isn't good...and above 30 it sings louder...

you don't mention at what speed you were climbing or distance on the ascent...it is easier to maintain speed than accerate on a long incline....at say 5% grade or above.

hard to predict if you cooked the turbo...but if so, just accelerating into traffic (not towing) should tell you....because no turbo will mean no quickness...and nasty noises...

you should get some gauges...like a stack for the 'a' pillar...with boost, oil temp, exhaust temp and tranny temp as the 4 basic needs...

what openhigher is describing is the 'tow/haul mode' which holds a gear during descents until the go pedal is pressed, and raises the shift points.

cheers
2air'
Hi 2air!

Yup, I don't have a boost guage. Ford, in their infinate wisdom did not provide one on the instument cluster like the do on the superduty diesels. Go figure... Anyways, the F series superduties with the 6.0 have a small boost needle, but not the excursions.

I was clmbing what I think was an approximate 6% grade. Tow/haul mode was on and since this was California, they limit the speed with at trailer to 55. I had set the cruise at 55 way before we hit the mountains, but on the way up, the transmission naturaly dropped down to compensate for the grade, raising the RPMS to ~2300. This was fine, but I think the prolonged hold at that point is what caused the "dive bomber sound" I have never heard my diesel make such a loud noise. So as soon as I heard that I dropped my cruise off, and lowered the RPM to ~1500-2000, but crawled up at 35-40 MPH.

The truck is fine now, but I have learned that any future trips over mountains does require guages so I know what is going on. Right now I'm just flying blind, and I think I need to monitor Boost and EGT at a minimum.

The rest of the guages stayed at nominal - I'd be hard pressed to even say the moved the whole entire trip, even while climbing the mountains.

I can drive around town without the trailer fine, don't experience any power loss, so I think the turbo is OK, but it was scary. I think I'll have to jump to the ford diesel forums for more info...

Rgds

Kevin
Old 03-28-2006, 03:47 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dhe9
socal traffic

bandit,

how you finding the traffic compared to austin? i drive this stuff every day so i am pretty use to it. if you can manage to stay off the 405 around 5 p.m. then you should be okay.

sorry about the weather. just never know.

david
san diego county
RETIRED USMC
dhe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhe9
bandit,

how you finding the traffic compared to austin? i drive this stuff every day so i am pretty use to it. if you can manage to stay off the 405 around 5 p.m. then you should be okay.

sorry about the weather. just never know.

david
san diego county
David,

The dirvers are more aggressive in Austin, but less careful. The Cali drivers thus far are pretty OK, as long as I keep speed with them, which is usually 5-10 over the limit... if I drive the limit, I get passed on BOTH sides of the me!!!

That does bring up another point... I'm not sure I like the 55MPH limit for trucks and trailers... The speed difference between the cars was scary!!! I wanted to change lanes and the cars would zip up my sides like I was standing still... I kinda felt it was more dangerous to follow the speed limit....

Kevin
Old 03-28-2006, 04:18 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Hi Kevin: I misread your earlier post and thought you were descending the grade, not ascending. Now I read you were climbing the grade and in cruise control? Is that right? IMO, that is not a good idea. For example, if the cruise is set at 55, and the grade is steep enough, the engine wants to climb at 50, even 45 at a steady pace, not try to maintain cruise. Anyway, I always take cruise off in the slightest of traffic, and on all hills and grades, but that is me.

As for traffic, driving 55 in traffic is ok only if you are not in fast traffic, and certainly not going to change lanes. If you are changing lanes you must be doing at least 60, and even then watch out two lanes over (not just one) for the speed cars traveling 70 and changing lanes.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Robert
Old 03-31-2006, 06:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Fifty Five isn't so safe...

In parts of California trying to drive 55 is less safe than 60 or slightly above 60, as NOBODY is going that slow, and many drivers will use 4 or 5 lanes as slalom course swerving around people wildly to avoid having to go less than 80... Local newspaper reporter tried experiment driving in San Francisco area at 55 in his car, and was nearly crashed into several times, and got honked at and gestured at as moving roadblock.. California Highway Patrol seems to prefer keeping up with traffic and trucks in right lane as "safe speed" for RV's and trailers, and won't ticket for small excess over 55. Friends who used to be in police swear CHP average tolerance runs to 73mph, and anything over that is ging to get attention and possible citation in a car. YMMV These theories only apply in California, and we do feel empathy for out of state drivers ...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:33 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Unhappy OK - We're back, but not without some casualties...

OK,

Prim and I just pulled back into Austin yesterday afternoon, with the last 2 nights at South LLano state park in Junction TX to unwind from the "big city" trip.

Sorry for the late post on the results and thoughts, but what happened to me can be a lesson for those who have not prepared, those who have prepared can chime in and tell us how they did prepare...

So Southern California has it it's pros and cons, as stated in previous posts, the driving and traffic is definatly a con... however, there are some pretty awsome resturants and beautiful views of the mountains in San Diego and Imperial Counties.

Huntington Beach has a very nice "dog beach" (http://dogbeach.org/) where dogs can run free along California coastline and play with other dogs and chase sea gulls to their hearts content. Yes, Texas also has costal beaches where dogs are allowed, but not off leash, so having all dogs off leash is pretty awsome (provided you dog plays well with other dogs). Most owners who have aggresive dogs will not let them off leash on that beach anyways, so those of us with gentle dogs are pretty safe.

Beach + Dog = GOOD.
Beach + Car Keys = BAD

Yup, you guessed it, My car keys were in my jacket pocket (hey, it cold and breezy on a beach) and I ran around with my dogs.... Poof - GONE.

So, you would think that if I was smart enough, I should have put it in my jeans pocket, where they woud be more secure but no, I didn't. I could have even locked them into the Excursion, since I have a keypad entry so I wouldn't even have to bring any keys or fob, but nope, I didn't do that either.

It is nearly impossible to find keys that have fallen onto a beach. Especially when the sun is setting and the tide is rising. This is fact.

It is also nearly impossible to find a locksmith that can come out and not just open a car door, but have a portable $5K computer gizmo to re-program the Excursion computer to accept new "computer chip" keys that were needed to start up the truck. We got lucky in Orange county on this one. Most locksmiths and even the Ford roadside assistance told us to get the truck towed to a Ford dealership for the night, and then have parts and service department make and re-program keys in the morning, as this was 7:30 PM.

So, $160 dollars later, I am out my orginal truck key, keyless FOB, my house key, and my wife's fiber optic mercedes key.... (I anticipate the last key to be the most expensive key to replace), BUT, I have my Airstream keys in my jeans pocket and 2 new Excursion keys that start the truck so I can go along my merry way and go back home at my campsite in Newport beach and drown in my stupidity...

As the wife and I drive back to camp with the dogs and my new truck keys, we do the shoulda/coulda/woulda talk where I shoulda had more truck keys made (we only had one since I bought it used), and that I shoulda left the keys in the truck, or at least, put in in my jeans pocket were it would be more secure...

We get back to camp, still in sorrow, but at least happy we have the Airstream keys and the day can end somewhat normally. So, I retreive the keys from my jeans pocket, unlock the trailer, and walked inside. 2 minutes later, the wife and I decide the dogs need a bathroom break, so we walk back out of the trailer and let the dogs do their thing. As we stand there in the moonlight watching dogs doing their thing, we hear the trailer door gently swing shut in a breeze...

Yup, you guessed it, the door shut WITH the lock latched... and my new Excursion keys AND the Airstream keys are IN the LOCKED trailer...

Well, good thing that locksmith left me a reciept with his phone #....$60 later, I now became the locksmith's best client, AND biggest idiot all at the same time.

Lessoned learned. Always have spare keys, always have them secure on your body, and find a way to hide or keep a set on the tow vehicle AND trailer.

Kevin
Old 04-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #32
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I know it probably wasn't funny at the time when it happened, but it sure made me chuckle. It's something I could see myself doing over and over..
Old 04-05-2006, 09:34 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I know it probably wasn't funny at the time when it happened, but it sure made me chuckle. It's something I could see myself doing over and over..
Glad you could get a few laughs and take note of my expensive and embarrassing lesson. I look back on it and laugh now.

Good thing it was only my keys and some dignity I lost that night. Everyone is safe and made it back to Austin, so it's all good. Keys can be replaced.

Kevin
Old 04-05-2006, 09:55 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Now I know the reason behind the other post. Same as UWE, made me chuckle but in a sad sympathetic way. Been there done that..... So now you know why I have a key hid outside my truck and spares to everything I use with the truck inside my truck. BTW, these keys are not inside the glove box or easy access where someone can take my truck. Not really hid but in a crew cab there are nooks to put things.

I have to check my hid key when I get home................
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #35
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I keep spare keys to the tow vehicle in the trailer, in a magnetic "hide a key box", under the steel bottom bracket for the propane tanks. I also keep spare keys for the trailer in the glovebox of the tow vehicle.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
A Winner!

Kevin-

There is a thread here labeled "Forum Dumb A.." and they haven't had a winning entry since January! Thanks for sharing, and glad you made it home, but you should review the five pages of other posts and feel good you only made the locksmith and Ford Dealer feel good...

Many of us NOW keep multiple keys in multiple locations, use backup checklists, keep second or third hoses around, etc as a direct result of prior misfortunes. One of the great business motto's provides that success comes as a result of experience. Experience comes as a result of making mistakes... Glad trip worked out well..

John McG

p.s. There is another "free range" dog beach at north end of Del Mar beach in northern San Diego County, near the old race track, if you get back to southern California...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:33 PM   #37
_

. , .
hi bandit

adventures without keys......we've all had them.....

i'll post an idea in the other thread...

earlier you posted the windshiled on the ford was chipped? i suggest getting this repaired asap and if there is any crack/fissure, skip the spot repair and replace the glass. the windscreens aren't very think or strong so another hit could result in disaster....had a friend with a small crack in his; hit a bird last year at 55 and wow what a mess....

travel is the adventure
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:01 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Kevin and Prim:

Yep Sherry and I have been there done that. One time at dog beach, same beach you mentioned, she had my keys in her pocket and was walking and I was in the water surfing. She waves her hands in desperation, and I come in from the water. We find the keys just barely before the tide rises, after searching for an hour.

Now, we have duplicate keys everywhere.

Thought about driving down to visit you in Newport, but didn't get the chance.

Glad you are home safe.

Robert and Sherry
Old 04-21-2006, 10:39 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Sharing some pics...

Since this was Prim and I's first "Big cross country trip", I thought I'd share a collection of pics that the wife put together...

Kevin & Prim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CA Trip Summary_042106.pdf (1.89 MB, 133 views)
Old 04-22-2006, 12:44 PM   #40
_

. , .
hi kevin

really really nice photos....hope everyone takes a peak at these...

looks like a great first-big-trip......everyone looks so happy and relaxed.

even the critters encountered along the way look great.

proof once again that flying airstream is first class!

here's to many more trips...

and great times en route.

pro

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.