Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Anyone Parked Bambi 16 in a Motel's Parking Lot Before?

Tow suv has 4 adults and 1child on road trip. I'm thinking of booking a room in a motel for 2 adults and just park the bambi within the motel's parking lot for one night. Is it usually accepted?
shockfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Personally, If I owned the motel, I would not be happy. What is to keep the people in the trailer out of the motel room, using the shower, the other services, the pool and so on. They are not running a campground, but a motel.

I would call the motel in advance to get their opinion. My guess is the answer is no.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I did that when I had my 1966 Airstream. On the way home from picking her up we stayed in a motel the first night. The owner was so excited that he let us park it right in front of his place. I was able to keep an eye on it from the room.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
We parked our Bambi II at a hotel on the delivery trip home. No issues with the hotel but we stayed in the hotel room we paid for. I think most hotels would have no problem with you parking the trailer in their lot but probably would have an issue with people staying in it and using hotel facilities.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

You pay for a room, you are a guest. I don't see why they should object.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Similar to Walmart etiquette.

I've seen small motor homes in high end hotel parking lots. ( Hiltons, Marriotts and such ). I think motels would have issues with anybody staying in an RV even though you paid for a room ( security, illegal activity, what it looks like to other guests, insurance ) It's not what we think is fair….It's how the manager feels about it.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Some of the replies seem to have missed the point that two adults and one child would be sleeping in the trailer overnight, did I get this right?

The facility might say OK, but best to ask ahead of time. Maybe you should offer to pay for extra beds for the room (without them being installed)?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
As has been mentioned call & ask, problem solved!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I've parked at a motel more than a few times with a 30' trailer attached to a pickup. I asked, the management said no problem. No one slept in the trailer.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
We had a rather unique experience when traveling to Newfoundland. The ship was bound for Port Aux Basques and one of the couples we met on the ferry owned the hotel/ motel at the port.
As it was going to be about 1am when we arrived and the nearest RV park was out of town, they asked us if we wanted to camp out in their parking lot near the office so we could access the Wi Fi. He even dragged out an extension cord for us.
Now that was hospitality.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Ok, seems it's totally depend on mgr/owner's mood. Will call ask.
shockfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You'd also have to consider the size of the parking lot. If you're in a central city at a convention type hotel, and have to pay to park a car in a garage, forget about it. You'd also probably have a 9 foot ceiling and impossible turns to get it in or out. In a more rural or "off the interstate" situation the decision will also depend on how full the motel is - if the parking lot is 1/2 empty, you will be more likely to be welcomed.

Paula
Old 04-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
No, we have done this in the past when traveling by car and had a passenger stay in the car. Passenger got up next morning and used the toilet in the room. Manager went ballistic and charged us for third person. They are in business to make a profit and do not feel folks shaving the nickel a bit help their business model.

Now - if I paid for a room and preferred to stay in the trailer, I would have a hard time accepting the manager's objection to my enjoying a better bed when he got his full rate for the room. Have thought this might be default solution if no RV Park site was available and a motel room was.

So - ask and negotiate first. If they got a problem, go down the road. Worst case you sleep on the floor of the trailer in a Walmart parking lot or line up early for breakfast at the Cracker Barrel.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I have stayed in a motel a few times while towing my 25FB (when making a mid-winter run south with temperatures well below freezing. Always asked, never was a problem. Some of the places near major highways have a lot out back for big rigs and other trailers.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
To echo the recent comments about trailer parking in general -- it depends on the location and parking lot. Towing the old 25' AS, we stayed in plenty of motels near a major highway without even lining this up ahead of time. There is usually room someplace in their parking lot. We of course coordinated parking with the front desk when we registered.

It may help to have a "frequent flyer card" for the motel chain in question, as they can see that you are a good customer when you register.

NOW -- turning to the two adults and one child sleeping in the trailer -- totally up to the manager with the best guess [ IMO ] being "no" unless you offer to pay for two extra adult beds for the motel room. Insurance and liability issues suggest that the facility may not covered for allowing people to sleep in their cars/trailers. Indeed, local zoning etc. laws may forbid it . . .

That is why it is called a "parking lot" and not a "campground?"

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #16
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
The OP stated that they will be booking a room and parking the trailer.

When we picked up our 26' Overlander we stayed at Best Westerns while bringing it home from AZ and there were no issues. It sure drew a crowd though. We asked where we could park. Its no different than hauling any other trailer behind a rig, they often have parking for that. Just have to pick the right motel with enough parking to accommodate.
MaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #17
Yertle01.com

2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
I did it last summer at a Best Western. I rented a room, though, which made it okay wit the motel. Biggest issue was that the parking lot was small. I took up the equivalent of three spaces, but parked as far off in a corner as possible that allowed for an easy, ensured exit.

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Spokane , Washington
Parking in Motel Parking Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockfly View Post
Tow suv has 4 adults and 1child on road trip. I'm thinking of booking a room in a motel for 2 adults and just park the bambi within the motel's parking lot for one night. Is it usually accepted?
In March of this year we parked a 19' Bambi in a Motel parking lot and checked into a room because we arrived in town late and there was no place available with hookups. Worked out fine.
groverpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
We had a rather unique experience when traveling to Newfoundland. The ship was bound for Port Aux Basques and one of the couples we met on the ferry owned the hotel/ motel at the port.
As it was going to be about 1am when we arrived and the nearest RV park was out of town, they asked us if we wanted to camp out in their parking lot near the office so we could access the Wi Fi. He even dragged out an extension cord for us.
Now that was hospitality.

George
Folks in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland are wonderful! We stayed at the KOA in N Sydney, about 15 minutes from the ferry terminal. It is a wonderful, picturesque, and convenient site with very hospitable owners/managers. We stayed there after the return 6 hour ferry ride, too.
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Best to ask at registration IMO. If they don't like the set-up, they won't rent you the room. Me? I'd be happy to have the room rented.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote