Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2006, 10:19 PM   #21
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
The truck has body damage and the roof is caved in. The cap on the back I think saved my bacon. It took most of the weight of the truck. I want the truck totaled but they are leaning towards fixing it.

The tongue on the trailer is not bnt. the latching mechanism is destroyed. We are going to get a new one and give it a test. I have a place I can rent a truck to tow the trailer back to La GRande, OR for a few weeks and then Missoula for a week and back to Jackson Center.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
One tough cookie!

Take care of yourself... that hottub must feel good!

I remember a experience I had pulling a uhaul box trailer with our Astro. We too hit black ice.... I remember pointing towards the opposite lane ... with BIG headlights coming towards us. It all seemed so slow motion... the truck and trailer served left into the oncoming lane.. that goodness it was a four lane road, and I was in the curbside lane, I countersteered and gave it gas, which pulled us back to the right, still sliding as one unit. I countersteered again and gave it gas...I'm sure it looked pretty fun.... but not inside that van! We finally hit asphault, and went into a series of sickening sways with that trailer. Amaziningly, we ended up straight. I pulled over and almost puked. My little 4 year old was holding the fish in her Micky Mouse shaped fishbowl (it was plastic). We had lowered the fish's water level by half... not a drop was spilled. It took awhile for those legs to stop shaking... no underwear was lost... but it was close!

Whew! I'lll say it again.... I'm glad you're ok!

P.S. Looking at the pics.... (I know, morbid!).. I think the trailer broke away before you rolled... the slidemarks from the truck look pretty far away from trailer's slide marks. You can see where your truck swapped ends, and then rolled when it hit the ditch. The trailer also swapped ends, but looks like it was further away from the truck. The truck probably swapped ends so fast, the hitch couldn't hold on.... that's a good thing! Ok, enough disection.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Hi Michelle, Seeing your pics sent some chills down my back ! Being a truck driver, I have had more than one experience with bad weather. I know first hand how you can be in control one minute and not in control the next. For me it was a split second. I didn't end up in the ditch but I aged a few years in a short time.

Glad you are ok ! Also glad the AS didn't roll.

I just replaced my breakaway switch, today as a matter of fact.

You are lucky to be relatively unscathed. Had you been towing any other travel trailer, they would have been picking the pieces up with a shovel.

Get well soon and good luck on the repairs.

Take care.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Whew, Michelle...
As rolwil mentioned, thank you for sharing your experience and photos…
It helps us newbies, and probably all of us.
I just bought a 2006 F-250 and expect to order a 23’ Safari soon…
And expect to occasionally take it into the mountains this winter…
And even here in San Diego County we get snow in the mountains.
Thank you for sharing your sobering experience.
May you, Rebecca and Butter Cup have a speedy recovery!

Bill
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:47 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Michelle,,, sending you my best thoughts and prayers for emotional and structural repair to your beloved truck and trailer,,, the pictures speak for themselves,,, every streamers nightmare,,, but it is over now,, and you can look to the future better roads,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
sorry to hear

Sorry to hear that your "babies" are damaged. We would recommend the factory here in OH too. Since the factory deals with major repairs daily and has all of the materials and tools immediately on hand, the hours involved labor wise, and parts shipment might save the insurance company some significant money which they might consider sending your way since you are helping to transport it that far. Just a thought.
Glad that you are ok, and we hope that you will take some time for yourself and make sure that you are really ok in all respects. Get checked out thoroughly!
Now that you are experienced in all this driving, we don't need to remind you that the midwest, in our direction can still be a dangerous place to drive.
We live about 3 hrs. from the factory, if we can be of help, let us know.
We just spent the night in the terreport at the factory last night, and took the tour there and "shopped" today.
Lou and Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Michelle. You are one tough chick. Glad to hear that you are OK. Take care of yourself first. I think, after a real good look, Rebecca will have to be replaced. And of coarse Butter Cup can be fixed. I bought my trailer from George Sutton and had some minor repairs done there while on vacation. They were on it right now, and in less time than I spent talking with George they had my trailer repaired. I also live very close to C&G trailer service. [authorized Airstream repair center] And have had some repairs done there. Rod and Darlene Beltran can and will take very good care of your trailer. From what I've seen, they can repair anything on any Airstream trailer. They also work on some Airstream motorhomes. And then Jackson, Ohio built it, so no reason they can't do a good job for you. Bottom line is getting your trailer to one of them.
I'm sure glad you're OK.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:10 AM   #28

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Lou and Larry,
I am leaning towards the factory at this point. I was planning on going east after Thanksgiving. Just not the northern route.
I was checked out three times. I lost one of my favorite jackets in the process. They cut it off me to start an IV. My right shoulder is the only thing still bothering me.

New rule for towing.
No go unless I can see bare pavement.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:15 AM   #29

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I am going to call the insurance company today and remind them the truck ended up on its roof. I want it totaled so I can move on. It is all about the money. I know the shop wants to repair it, good money for them.
I am still having trouble sleeping as you can see by the time of my post.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:25 AM   #30

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Marc,
I found a broken link of the cain just off the road. You can see where the ball deformed and the hitch twisted. I would have taken more pictures but the camera only functioned long enough to get several pictures of the accident. The hitch on the truck is one tough puppy.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:31 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Michelle -

Wow! Glad you are okay. Seems like just yesterday that you buying your new Airstream and heading west, and now this!

My wife and I were just in the park 3 weeks ago, and already had icy road conditions at higher elevations. When we headed home on October 1, I was wishing we were staying longer. Now when I see your tragic pictures, and those road conditions, I'm glad we got out of there when we did.

If you can make it to Jackson Center for repair, as others have said, that'd be the best place to get your trailer fixed.

John
Old 10-24-2006, 03:41 AM   #32

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
John,
I have come a long way in 6 months. When I entered the park the roads were ok. When I left I went slow about 20 MPH. I had my problems just west of West Yellowstone. I was not having any traction problems until I decided to slow down because the road ahead looked slippery. It was already slippery. I drove the same road yesterday and it is clear.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:59 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Michelle, I am so glad you are up and getting about. You had great presence of mind in an horrifying experience. I agree with the EMTs that you fared extraordinarily well and with the other posters that mentioned your guardian angels must have been on duty.

I know you will get your rig back into order. I marvel at your fortitude to get right back on that horse after such a harrowing incident. You've got moxie!

Wishing you and Buttercup a speedy recovery and a nice new truck and jacket. You have such courage.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:05 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
John,
I have come a long way in 6 months. When I entered the park the roads were ok. When I left I went slow about 20 MPH. I had my problems just west of West Yellowstone. I was not having any traction problems until I decided to slow down because the road ahead looked slippery. It was already slippery. I drove the same road yesterday and it is clear.
My, you are up early!

Several years ago, I "camped" in my car right beside the road while on a fishing trip during this exact time of year just a couple miles outside West Yellowstone. I bet I didn't stay very far from where you had your accident.

After clearing the ice from the windows each morning, I'd drive into town and eat at McDonalds, or wherever. The morning temperatures then were around 17 degrees. So, I know first had that it can get real cold there!

Well, at least you're now safe, inside, and warm.

John
Old 10-24-2006, 07:14 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Michelle -- So glad to hear you are okay. What a horrible thing to have happen! I'm amazed at your composure after such an experience.

I can see you're already getting lots of advice from people more knowledgable than I & Doug, so I can't add to that. We'll be thinking of you and watching for posts on how you're doing, and how the repairs are going.

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:15 PM   #36

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Thanks all

I just wanted to thank all who wished me well. I think I have found an acceptable replacement for Rebecca. Just waiting for the insurance company to make a decision.

I spent today cleaning up the trailer. I put foil tape on the outside damage to keep the weather out. I cleaned up the damaged dishes and put away every thing that came out of the cabinets. Only one item containing liquid broke on the floor. She now looks like she did on the inside. The outside will get repaired at the factory in Late November.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0024.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	27446   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0025.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	27447  

Old 10-24-2006, 07:45 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
It's looking better already now that it's cleaned up. Good to hear your interior hasn't been damaged. Any observations about your hitch (what kind do you have?) and did the disc brakes make a difference do you think?
When in November do you think you will be in Ohio? Will you be staying in the terraport during repairs?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:03 PM   #38
Rivet Master

EGAD !!! Glad you came out of that ok. Did you have snow tires or street tires? It one of those things that just get's ya.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:26 PM   #39

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Carol,
I am planning on leaving Montana shortly after Thanksgiving. I do not have an appointment yet but they do know about my situation. I never touched the brakes. The trailer brakes did not activate until the breakaway switch was pulled. Important to connect that thing! I will be doing a drop and run. I have friends in Cleveland and will be staying with them while the trailer is repaired. The hitch is a reese weight distributing.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:29 PM   #40

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I had standard truck tires. It was a little early to put snow tires on. Neither would have mattered. I was on ice. Studs may have helped.