Old 10-23-2006, 10:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Michelle,

Wow, brutal experience and we are very glad you came out of this with nothing damaged that can't be fixed or replaced. You were very fortunate that the trailer didn't follow you through for the whole ride. It's always sad to look back at the pictures and see the neat stuff all bent but there's also satisfaction in being able to look back at things and be unharmed yourself.

I speak from experience. We also had a brutal highway accident in August that destroyed our car and that was a trip we'd fully intended to take the '57 and Airstream. Call it woman's intuition or whatever but at the last minute my wife decided to take her car instead - which does not have a hitch on it. I was very disappointed as I was looking forward to camping our way along the way as she usually is as well but this time she just decided that she wanted to take her own car. It saved our bacon (her car has/had airbags all around - mine does not) and the trailer was left safely tucked away in the back yard - whew. The end result for us is when we take the trailer we'll be allowing extra time for road conditions (it had rained the night before and filled an unmarked large sink-area in the highway - and a Coka Cola truck had hit it earlier and done endo's down the highway we were told by the emergency crews). Our insurance company didn't even quibble, they did their quick assessment of the car and wrote us a check for the replacement. Had it been the vintage car and Airstream I'm sure I'd still be in heated discussion with them.

Glad you are fine, and if getting the trailer repaired by the factory will make it the best possible repair you may want to consider that, although I'm sure many dealers do the same level of quality repair as well.

Take care,
Barry (and Donna)

Old 10-23-2006, 10:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Yes michelle ,so glad your alright ,the airstream can be fixed .

Scott and lily

Old 10-23-2006, 10:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
I am very happy that you are o.k. Trucks and trailers are easy to repair. Good luck in your vehicle repairs and Godspeed on YOUR repair.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:44 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Out in the middle of nowhere , California
Wow

Glad to know you're doing ok. Good karma and a good guardian angel.
crkwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow!

I'm glad you're ok.... how's the truck? Take time to figure out how you feel... it's usually the next day that it hits you. I've read of some repairs that AS of Spokane has done... I think they may be just fine for you. Karyn seems a straight shooter, I'd give her a call and just ask. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I know Gunny did post about Sutton RV... try PM'ing Jimjordan for his assessment ... he has bought and serviced his trailer from them. I just think that one assessment should not cloud everyone's opinion.

I'd really look at your trailer tongue and hitch... the forces involved in that accident (and forcing the ball out of the hitch) would make me pause before towing anywhere..... I'm assuming with a different truck?
Marc
Old 10-23-2006, 11:07 PM   #20
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Thank you. I soaked in the hot tub at the hotel this evening and I feel better.
I already crawled under the trailer to see if the gas lines had been damaged. They were fine. I can still live in the trailer until I can get it fixed. The belly pan is torn in several places. My stroage tubes have been crushed and two of the stabilization jacks have been damaged as well as the spare tire hold. The trailer slid on the the tire frame.
I am leaning on taking it back to the factory just after thanksgiving.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:19 PM   #21

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
The truck has body damage and the roof is caved in. The cap on the back I think saved my bacon. It took most of the weight of the truck. I want the truck totaled but they are leaning towards fixing it.

The tongue on the trailer is not bnt. the latching mechanism is destroyed. We are going to get a new one and give it a test. I have a place I can rent a truck to tow the trailer back to La GRande, OR for a few weeks and then Missoula for a week and back to Jackson Center.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
One tough cookie!

Take care of yourself... that hottub must feel good!

I remember a experience I had pulling a uhaul box trailer with our Astro. We too hit black ice.... I remember pointing towards the opposite lane ... with BIG headlights coming towards us. It all seemed so slow motion... the truck and trailer served left into the oncoming lane.. that goodness it was a four lane road, and I was in the curbside lane, I countersteered and gave it gas, which pulled us back to the right, still sliding as one unit. I countersteered again and gave it gas...I'm sure it looked pretty fun.... but not inside that van! We finally hit asphault, and went into a series of sickening sways with that trailer. Amaziningly, we ended up straight. I pulled over and almost puked. My little 4 year old was holding the fish in her Micky Mouse shaped fishbowl (it was plastic). We had lowered the fish's water level by half... not a drop was spilled. It took awhile for those legs to stop shaking... no underwear was lost... but it was close!

Whew! I'lll say it again.... I'm glad you're ok!

P.S. Looking at the pics.... (I know, morbid!).. I think the trailer broke away before you rolled... the slidemarks from the truck look pretty far away from trailer's slide marks. You can see where your truck swapped ends, and then rolled when it hit the ditch. The trailer also swapped ends, but looks like it was further away from the truck. The truck probably swapped ends so fast, the hitch couldn't hold on.... that's a good thing! Ok, enough disection.
Marc
Old 10-23-2006, 11:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Hi Michelle, Seeing your pics sent some chills down my back ! Being a truck driver, I have had more than one experience with bad weather. I know first hand how you can be in control one minute and not in control the next. For me it was a split second. I didn't end up in the ditch but I aged a few years in a short time.

Glad you are ok ! Also glad the AS didn't roll.

I just replaced my breakaway switch, today as a matter of fact.

You are lucky to be relatively unscathed. Had you been towing any other travel trailer, they would have been picking the pieces up with a shovel.

Get well soon and good luck on the repairs.

Take care.
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Whew, Michelle...
As rolwil mentioned, thank you for sharing your experience and photos…
It helps us newbies, and probably all of us.
I just bought a 2006 F-250 and expect to order a 23’ Safari soon…
And expect to occasionally take it into the mountains this winter…
And even here in San Diego County we get snow in the mountains.
Thank you for sharing your sobering experience.
May you, Rebecca and Butter Cup have a speedy recovery!

Bill
Old 10-23-2006, 11:47 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Michelle,,, sending you my best thoughts and prayers for emotional and structural repair to your beloved truck and trailer,,, the pictures speak for themselves,,, every streamers nightmare,,, but it is over now,, and you can look to the future better roads,, donna
Old 10-23-2006, 11:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
sorry to hear

Sorry to hear that your "babies" are damaged. We would recommend the factory here in OH too. Since the factory deals with major repairs daily and has all of the materials and tools immediately on hand, the hours involved labor wise, and parts shipment might save the insurance company some significant money which they might consider sending your way since you are helping to transport it that far. Just a thought.
Glad that you are ok, and we hope that you will take some time for yourself and make sure that you are really ok in all respects. Get checked out thoroughly!
Now that you are experienced in all this driving, we don't need to remind you that the midwest, in our direction can still be a dangerous place to drive.
We live about 3 hrs. from the factory, if we can be of help, let us know.
We just spent the night in the terreport at the factory last night, and took the tour there and "shopped" today.
Lou and Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Michelle. You are one tough chick. Glad to hear that you are OK. Take care of yourself first. I think, after a real good look, Rebecca will have to be replaced. And of coarse Butter Cup can be fixed. I bought my trailer from George Sutton and had some minor repairs done there while on vacation. They were on it right now, and in less time than I spent talking with George they had my trailer repaired. I also live very close to C&G trailer service. [authorized Airstream repair center] And have had some repairs done there. Rod and Darlene Beltran can and will take very good care of your trailer. From what I've seen, they can repair anything on any Airstream trailer. They also work on some Airstream motorhomes. And then Jackson, Ohio built it, so no reason they can't do a good job for you. Bottom line is getting your trailer to one of them.
I'm sure glad you're OK.

Bob
Old 10-24-2006, 04:10 AM   #28

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Lou and Larry,
I am leaning towards the factory at this point. I was planning on going east after Thanksgiving. Just not the northern route.
I was checked out three times. I lost one of my favorite jackets in the process. They cut it off me to start an IV. My right shoulder is the only thing still bothering me.

New rule for towing.
No go unless I can see bare pavement.