Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
2010 Oshkosh anyone?

Just interested in seeing if any Airstreamers were planning on attending Oshkosh the last week of July. We did it in 2008, camping on the grounds, and plan on returning this summer. If you're an aviation enthusiast, this is pretty much Mecca.

Debbie
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
i could go......

i am planning to be in the area...when is it ...late july...26th thru aug 1st????

since my plans are made on the fly....an airshow would be great......lets make a airstream gathering.....
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Used to be Organized Rally

We traveled from Silicon Valley to OSH in 2004 in our Airstream (by way of Lake Louise..), and I tried in vain to find others on Forum. Did connect with Rich Luhr and ended up writing article for Airstream Life about trip we made solo.. We found and interviewed ~ a dozen Airstream and Argosy owners at main camping area and Seaplane base. Not enough power for A/C at EAA grounds, but private campgrounds in area if A/C is a requirement... Wally Byam club used to organize group rally, but quit around 2001 as it was a lot of work and attendance shrinking.. Now I think local group goes to knitting or quilting event in another corner of Wisconsin that weekend...

This year is mass gathering of DC-3's among other groups.. Wish I could join you, but need to figure out how to re-retire first... PM if you're interested in copy of article or tips...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
All this Oshkosh talk sparked a memory:

When I was little (early 80's) Mom and Dad took my sister and I to Oshkosh. We had only a tent and I remember it was hot, 100 in the shade! We drove and drove and drove for what it seemed like forever, finally got to the area where Oshkosh was. So we looked for a campsite, campsites are usually all full anywhere near Oshkosh, as are hotels and motels so it was beginning to look a little grim. Mom and Dad decided to follow the little roads around Lake Winnebego, as Dad said "maybe we can find a neat spot on the lake"! Dad was always hunting for the perfect campsite, always on a body of water. By this time the sun was setting, we were all tired from driving all day and we just about would have pulled in anywhere, when low and behold we see a sign, CAMpiNg! It was scribbled out on a piece of cardboard at the driveway of a farm with a big newly painted dark red barn. I recall there was the farm on the left, then the road, then on the right was a grassy area and the lake. We pulled in to what had seemed like Heaven on Earth! There was no office, where do we pay? My Mom said something like "lets just start setting up and someone will be over to collect", so we pulled in 20' from the little 3' wide sandy beach right on the banks of the mighty lake. It was just beautiful. Just as we were setting up the tent a little old farmer drove up on his gas engine golf cart from across the street "You want to camp?" to which we replied "yeah!!!", or it went somewhat similar to that, "It'll be $5 for tonite, for $10 I'll deliver you some firewood", Mom handed him the money and we had the most awesome campsite ever! I remember laying in the sleeping bag hearing the waves washing up on the shore. Ill never forget it! Someday Ill take the wee ones to Oshkosh and look for this place again, could it still be there?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I used to drive up from our home near Chicago every year for the EAA Convention. It is an airplane (and all things that fly) lovers nirvana. I would spend all day dreaming about what I would build one day (still am for that matter). My father-in-law and previous owner of our Airstream attended the WBCCI rally there in the mid 1990's and we spent the day touring. The highlight for me was standing next to him as a B-17 started up and taxied out. All of the sudden I could see the years drop away and he was 19 again and headed for England. It was amazing and still brings a tear to my eye.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
If a group plans to go up, I will try to get some time off and bring my 11 year old son along for some father-son time. For us it would be a quality event.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Old 06-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
Islander

Airshow

With just percusory investigation i find that they say camping is always available....they have dump stations and or dump and water services and 24 hour generator sections and many options for rv camping along with 200,000 or so other folks who are tent camping or in some stage of going or coming....sound like it is hotter than hades camped out on the flight line with masses of airplanes and people.....and pets are not recommended....still it would be an undescriably cool event to see and be in.....

still doing research...but i am in the nearly presuaded mode of being there........
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 06-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
With just percusory investigation i find that they say camping is always available....they have dump stations and or dump and water services and 24 hour generator sections and many options for rv camping along with 200,000 or so other folks who are tent camping or in some stage of going or coming....sound like it is hotter than hades camped out on the flight line with masses of airplanes and people.....and pets are not recommended....still it would be an undescriably cool event to see and be in.....

still doing research...but i am in the nearly presuaded mode of being there........
My family camped there from the 70's on...my last trip was in the early '80's. Mom and Dad still go every year as workers. They have a HUGE field for dry camping and I was told last night, a few spots with hookups for the general public. My gut tells me those will be very hard to get.
The weather? We took shorts and long pants, tee shirts and coats. I can remember several mornings where there was frost on the ground. I also remember it being too hot to sleep...

The entire place is kept spotless, not by a staff of keepers but by the attendees.

Truly a place that any airplne nut should see at least once.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
I will second what Vernon said about the weather. I have spent days both freezing and sweltering. One never knows and it changes from day to day when a strong weather front comes through.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Old 06-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
We're planning on making it for the entire week. It is truly an amazing happening. The airshows every afternoon are my favorite thing.

We'll be back at Camp Scholler (we camped there in 2008). I was a little concerned at first -- dry camping with thousands of other folks in a huge field -- just was not sure. But these organizers have it down pat. There are plenty of well-maintained shower houses. And I've never seen so many porta-potties, also well attended to. Shuttles run constantly to the venue or you can ride your bike.

I think that camping on site is definitely the way to experience Oshkosh. No traffic or parking hassles, etc. Easy to go back to the trailer and take a break for a couple of hours. We always travel with our dog and there is a section available for those with pets.

Check it out! Hope to see some fellow Airstreamers there.

AirVenture Oshkosh Where to Stay

Debbie
Old 06-13-2010, 05:42 AM   #11
Islander

oshkosh by gosh

this is really piquing my intrest....always been a closet fan and admirer of all thing associated with aircraft... and flying

how long does one stay to really see and get a feel for what is going on???

cost is (member or non member) admission to grounds...say $200+ member for a week and then 22.00 per day rv camping plus all associated other expenses....so...

500 or so dollars for a weeks stay for two????

i see that there is a dedicated generator/pet section.....since we have two english cockers..who are from wisconsin, by the way...
and from the map that appears to be way at the back from all activities...
but walking is fun and healthy

I don't think one has to advance register at all...just show up...an EAA membership can be purchased at the gate, and they say there is plenty of room at Camp Scholler....so....I am putting my Jello laced plans in motion to be there
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 06-13-2010, 06:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
B1-B, F22's

I couldn't help but post some pics I took at another Airshow last summer!
We are warbird buffs, my husband flies giant scale RC (you know you got it bad when you have to justify an Airstream purchase just to drag your airplanes around!)

Photos are inside the B1-B, front of B1-B and two cute lil' F22's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1356.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	104746   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1561.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	104747  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CSC_1732.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	104748  
Old 06-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
The best deal is to join the EAA for a $40 membership. Then your admission would be $110 and spouse $75 for the week. Camping is $22 per night (without hookups). So, basic expenses (staying 7 nights) would run $533.

At first I balked at staying the entire week. I thought it would be too long. It wasn't. Not for me anyway (and certainly not for my husband). The museum admission is included and it is not to be missed IMHO. You can easily spend a morning or afternoon there. Buses run to and from. Also, buses run to and from the sea plane base at Lake Winnebago. You can spend time there away from the crowds in a lovely setting. They even have boat rides (no additional charge) that take you out in the harbor for a close up view up the planes.

The dedicated generator/pet section is at the back as you noted but they do run shuttles constantly. It's a pretty good walk but you can also ride bicycles (or scooters) up to the main gate where there is lots of parking. An advantage of being in the "back 40" (besides pets) is that it's quieter and less dusty due to less traffic. When we were there the "non-generator pet area" was only "non-generator" during evening/early morning hours. I would think that it's still that way. I don't know that I would like to be in the 24 hour generator section.

It's all very well organized and it's amazing how well it comes together. Lots of wonderful, dedicated volunteers. And it's a just a great crowd of folks attending. I'm getting charged up just talking about it!

Debbie
Old 06-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
There's also live entertainment most evenings (if you have any energy left!). And there is an outdoor movie theatre where they show classic aviation films (introduced by a person of note) each evening at 8:30. Popcorn included.

Admission, Rates, Parking and Hours of Operation at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh

Debbie
Old 06-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
Islander

count me in

in the pet section and my ultra quite yahama generator......
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 06-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Plenty of room...

Camp Scholler is roughly 1 mile by 1.5 miles, divided into "streets" and sections (generator, non-generator, pet, handicapped, etc..) It has never filled.. You pay in full for event at beginning, and collect refund if you leave early on way out. Showers, stores and restrooms spring up, and for 1 week the Airport is the 4th largest city in the State...

More than 10,000 airplanes will land and stay at OSH, with overflow to south at Appleton and another 150 at the seaplane base on Lake Winnebago. There are tractor-pulled shuttles criss-crossing the grounds, and it is easy to get around, though you may still wear out batteries in a pedometer... Take comfortable chairs, rain gear (it drizzled and showered on us in '04, and we never used the A/C we were so worried about...).

Part of the magic is that quite a few retired Air Force Colonels and other volunteers arrive a few weeks early and whip the airport into shape, and manage it during the week in amazing fashion.. No litter, no rowdiness, and weather or other challenges seem minor. Meeting folks from all over the world in large restaurant tents (we sat across from young man who'd flown Vari-eze he'd built in Argentina to OSH to show it off...) is amazing.. Adding an Airstream group (given Wally's history building aircraft for Curtiss Wright during the war) just adds to the event.. Wish I could get back there again...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
See you there . . .

Kingfisher24,

We'll be there and hope to meet you -- our plans are also to camp in the pet section. We'll have our generator but do not plan on staying in the 24-hour generator section -- too noisy and fumes. When we were there in 2008, you could run a generator in any section except during quiet hours which I think were from 10 p.m. -8:00 a.m.

Debbie
Old 08-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Hey Debbie!
I'm jealous --- would love to check this out! Hope you & Pat are doing well -- and your little pup! How about another shuttle rally - two confirmed launches left and possibly a third!
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Gaylej & I made the journey from San Antonio to OSH for 12 years with our aircraft and camping under the wing in our tent. The last 2 times Gayle was PIC and made the landing at OSH. The in-coming arrivals into OSH is a storey in its self. Lots and lots of airplanes in trail to the runway. What memories it bring. Although both of us are licensed pilots and still own an aircraft our flights to OSH are over. Our Airstream has taken its place for our travels. We had talked about going back to OSH with the AS and staying on the grounds. That would be just as exciting as flying there. You are still on the grounds and for the most part everything is easy to get to. What we have learned in the past is when the crowds get larger the trams get crowded and the waiting lines can take well over thirty minutes.

Our most enjoyable times at OSH were after the airshows when all the spectators left the grounds and only the campers were left. The port-a-potties were usually cleaned late in the afternoon and that made it even better. Warm showers to boot.

We have rode out some very bad weather while attending the event. We always double tied down our plane to help secure it. The weather can be anything from hot and humid to, boy, I wish I had brought a pair off warm clothes. Been there and done that.

Yes, we would like to go back to OSH but this time with our Airstream.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote