Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2009, 06:03 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Pranksters

Greg,

The "wanted" poster was funny......and caught me by complete surprise. I can't believe that Gene actually tried to have the local Sheriff "arrest" me. Now......you guys will have to constantly be looking over your shoulders, as this devious mind comes up with an appropriate "payback!"

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Greg,

The "wanted" poster was funny......and caught me by complete surprise. I can't believe that Gene actually tried to have the local Sheriff "arrest" me. Now......you guys will have to constantly be looking over your shoulders, as this devious mind comes up with an appropriate "payback!"

Chief

A little harmless fun. I learned long ago, if you dish it out you have to be able to take it. Bring on your best Chief , I can handle it. I hope Jennifer was entertained by our little joke. Enjoy your trip
Old 05-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Greg,

I did put all of our Flamingos away while "The Flamingo Bandit" was here...all are OK!

Really though...I hope Ron and Jennifer have a GREAT trip...they are two of the best folks in the world along with you and Pat, of course!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Day 4

Arrived at the Ozark Country Campground yesterday evening, where we will spend one more night before heading NW. The campground is not real fancy, but has all the right things for the Passport America rate of $18.00 per nite......has great wifi, and nice looking pool....still too cold here for us Floridians to swim.

Spent part of the day touring Branson, but since we have been here before.....it became a bit boring. The one good thing about Branson is that we feel "young" here......I wonder what the media age of the visitors is???? Went down to the riverfront for lunch, and was impressed with the renovations they have done......including a $7.5M water fountain that dances to music and mixes a bit of fire into the show.

Came home early to do some housekeeping chores in preparation for tomorrow's early departure......good thing, as it is steady rain outside now....something this part of the country is really getting sick of.

Tomorrow's destination is Kansas......why didn't someone warn me that mid-May is the height of the tornado season. To make matters worse, the Weather Channel is out chasing them for some Vortec show. The forecast is not good for the area we have to travel through. We can only hope for the best.

We'll probably be off the air for a few days, as the next few parks do not have wifi.....hopefully, we will be able to reconnect in five days.

Chief

Pic #1 - Our Ozark digs
Pic #2 - The centerpiece of downtown Branson
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2134.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	565.2 KB
ID:	80103   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2143.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	80104  

AIR # 22776
Old 05-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Day 5

After a night of 50 mph wind gusts, we were up and on the road by 7:20. The weather forecast was not good…..large hail and tornadoes……an Airstream nightmare! We hauled butt through MO and SE Kansas, trying to put some distance between us and the severe weather predictions. Winds were terrible, probably sustained at 25-35 with gusts to who knows what…..not sure I could live in this part of the country. We called it a day after 450 miles, pulled into a $10 per nite Passport America campground and hit the weather channel to catch up on the latest. We had made it out of the zone, but the area we had driven through was getting pounded…..and, we had seen evidence of previous damage….I feel for those folks.

Speaking of wind….does it ever stop in Kansas? They have some interesting wind farms to harness the power. I needed an anchor when I got out of the truck to take a few pictures…..which I have attached.

I forgot to mention an interesting thing that happened on our short trip to downtown Branson. We parked at the Bass Pro Shop, and returned to find a mini-van impaled on our trailer hitch. I normally remove the hitch when we’re stopped for a few days, but this was just a short excursion and I placed my bright yellow tennis ball cover on the ball and left the hitch in the receiver. BTW, I was parked within the parking slot….hitch and all. The mini-van had a nice v-shape in it’s front bumper and license plate, but the really odd thing was…..whoever ran into the hitch didn’t even back up…..it was still against the hitch. I was so surprised that I did even think to take a picture.

Chief

Harnessing the wind in Kansas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2196_1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	80248   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2179_1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	80249  

AIR # 22776
Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Day 6

OK….it’s official….we really don’t like Kansas. My apologies to 2Air, and other fine folks from Kansas, but we just couldn’t wait to exit the state. Wind….wind….and more wind. I really thought we were going to be doing a modern version of the Wizard. When we stopped for lunch at a roadside park, it felt like the trailer was moving a good foot side-to-side. There were high wind warnings everywhere.

We finally made it to the calmness of Denver, and are staying at really nice State Park for the next four nights while visiting wife’s relatives. Cherry Creek State Park, in the middle of town…..I’m impressed. Great pull thrus, modern hookups, wifi (nice surprise) and very well kept……I would definitely stay here again. One other Airstream in the park…..nice couple from MN who winter in AZ. There is also one really nice new Prevost a couple of sites away…..but, they’re not sociable.

Interesting that the altitude has ballooned all the sealed plastic containers….I suspect the tire pressure may be a bit over 65 psi at the moment.

Chief

Pic #1 - Scenic View in Kansas
Pic #2 - Cherry Creek State Park Site
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2203_1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	80250   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2206_1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	523.8 KB
ID:	80251  

AIR # 22776
Old 05-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
I hope the last few days will be the worst for weather on your trip. Too bad the wind wasn't at your back while driving.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Keep the postings coming Chief - as I sit here at my desk and dream of my escape some day........
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
Smile Start of Full Timing trip

Finally, after many months of planning we will be leaving San Antonio on Sunday, May 24th pm in route to Rapid City, SD for a couple of months. We are planned to arrive on Wed pm. We have had our house on the market for 1+ yrs and still it has not sold. We had a living estate sale on 5/1, 5/2. We didn't sell as much as we would have liked. Still boxing and delivering to storage. We are looking forward to a great 6 months on the road.
Silver 9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #30
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Chief, when we crossed Kansas several weeks ago we didn't have as much wind, but did have tornado watches and moved fast to get away. In the past few years every time we cross Kansas we cover as many miles as we can, use the weather radio and glue to the Weather Channel when we have cable. It seems from May to June it's bad and we, too, can't understand why people live there. But we have experienced many feet of snow and don't mind it, but others would rather live anywhere but Colorado. We can't stand the humidity in Florida either, so to each his own crazy weather.

Glad you like Denver.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Days 7-9

Denver is a great city, and the beauty of the area is awesome! I would even consider living here if the Winters were a bit more mild. Many years ago, I attended Air Force Intelligence Training at Lowry AFB (long since closed)….the area has certainly grown since then. The altitude is kicking our butts….most activities require a lot more effort and my blood pressure would get most doctors excited. Interestingly, we have found that we do not want to eat very much here…..maybe a few weeks might get rid of some extra pounds.

The Cherry Creek Campground continues to impress. This weekend it was full…..lots of tent campers in addition to every conceivable type of RV. It is amazing that something like this exists within the city limits…….we saw over a half-dozen large deer grazing yesterday afternoon.

We have spent the past three days playing tourists and visiting family. Yesterday included an excursion to Rocky Mountain National Park with our daughter and son-in-law (finally here after missing their flight out of Norfolk….they’re never on time), mother-in-law, and nieces and nephews. Getting this group all headed in the same direction is like herding cats, but it was a nice trip with splendid weather. Part of the road is still closed for snow removal…..should open for Memorial Day, but we will be in Bryce Canyon by then.

We brought the nieces and nephews by the Airstream to show it off…..nieces loved it, nephews thought is was too small. Guess who’s getting better gifts in the future?

Tomorrow we depart for Grand Junction, CO……we’ll see how this half-ton hemi Dodge does on Vail Pass.

Chief

Pics from Rocky Mountain National Park
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2266_1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	460.1 KB
ID:	80378   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2278_1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	80379  

Name:	100_2282_1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	80380   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2287_1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	80381  

AIR # 22776
Old 05-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
I have my sights set on RMNP. Seeing these pics just confirms we need to go there. By the way, Jennifer is looking as lovely as usual.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #33
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Chief, best to go to Rocky Mountain NP now since in high season there are traffic jams because it's so popular. Yes, Denver has grown tremendously and we were glad to move way in 2000.

Gene
Old 05-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #34
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Does Cherry Creek State Park have sewer connections? It's always nice to find state parks that include sewer. Cable is also nice, but not mandatory.

My wife also has relatives that live in the Denver area and it would be great to know there is a nice campground waiting on us when we get there (reservation made in advance).
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Hey Chief,

Love the pics...RMNP is one of our most favorite spots in the world. Kristy and I love it there.

Hope you and Jennifer have a GREAT trip!

G

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 05-18-2009, 08:55 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
It's 8:30, we're all hooked up and ready to go but the local news is showing I-70 westbound as being backed up......might as well be comfortable and catch up with the Internet as sit in traffic.

Gene and Greg.....RMNP really is awesome. As Crawford Gene said....it was great being here in the off season. We had very little traffic.....there were more bikers in Boulder than cars.....appeared to be some sort of major cycling event taking place. Some of those folks actually were riding up the mountain. BTW, seniority does have it's perks....the old timers National Parks pass is really coming in handy....one of the last great deals for $10.

Tom.....trust me, Cherry Creek State Park has everything you could ask for.......level concrete pads with nice tables and firepit (no broken, worn out stuff here), all hookups except for cable. I'm getting somewhere around 30 channels with our antenna.....many HD. The wireless network has at least three antennas, so no matter where you are in the park, you are going to hit the internet. I can see that this park is very popular, as it has boat ramps, swiming areas, picnic areas and many bike trails. There were a lot of people here this weekend. Most days we returned late in the evening, but yesterday we returned around 3:30 in the afternoon and there were around 20 vehicles lined up for entry. Day rates are $8.00, that's in addition to the camping fee....total is around $30 per day. There was a sign at the entrance indicating that the campground was full this weekend. It's a bit weird on the registration. We made online reservations and when we arrived the campground registration office was closed. I stopped at one of the many campground hosts' sites and asked if I should just go to my reserved site and register the next day. He said there was a card on the site with our name. Sure enough, we found the very tiny card on the site number pole the next day.....I never did stop by the reservation desk, so I guess that's the way it is done if you make online reservations.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Old 05-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Great pics! We also love RMNP, and feel that almost anything off-season is better than anything in-season.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #38
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Chief,

Sound like fun...I am glad Jennifer can use YOUR old timers NP pass cause I know she doesn't qualify!!!

G

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 05-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #39
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thanks for the info. I'll put it on the list.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #40
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Colorado has many good state parks and they are often reserved was in advance. We may stay at the one near Craig tomorrow, but with only 15 amps we couldn't use the AC and it's supposed to be really hot. We're trying to avoid the KOA there. Decisions, decisions.

Chief, did you see any elk in Estes Park or RMNP? They're all over the place and one time we saw a herd camped out in front of MacDonalds. In the 90's we used to go to Estes every year off season. Nice town when not over run by tourists. Where to next? I-70 is always busy.

Gene