Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Squarestream > All Squarestream Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Airstream Argosy 'Squarestream' on the Bay!

27'er up for auction,help save the rare Squarestreams! Here's the link.
eBay Motors: 1987 Argosy Airstream 27 No Reserve 5100 pnds Dry, Nice (item 140231822471 end time May-19-08 21:00:46 PDT)&
Brian,the proud (2nd) owner of aluminum 1986 '32 Airstream Argosy (Squarestream) #305 Rare? It's either the Hemi Cuda of all Airstream's,or their Edsel.
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
squarestream

BOY another nice looking one.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Jimmini/Wanderer1 - What might be the price range of an '87 27' Squarestream Argosy in good shape? They're few and far between and I've never been near or in one. Need some guesses since there's one not far from me that appears to be pretty nice. What are the problems to look for? Did they have the particle board floor? What about leaks at the corners? Quality of the cabinetry? Thanks, Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Jimmini/Wanderer1 - What might be the price range of an '87 27' Squarestream Argosy in good shape? They're few and far between and I've never been near or in one. Need some guesses since there's one not far from me that appears to be pretty nice. What are the problems to look for? Did they have the particle board floor? What about leaks at the corners? Quality of the cabinetry? Thanks, Darol
I would say between $5,000 (needs work) to $12,000 (nice),mine would sell for at least $10,000 (but,not for sale). Leak damage (but even the silver ones leak),inside leak problems can be repaired,but IMHO,the outer body (in good shape) is the main thing as there are no body parts around for repairs. On mine the floor is plywood,not particle board,and my cabinets are real cherry wood ,and have held up fine over the years. 86 -88 are Argosys,89 - 92 are Airstreams,both versions are the same other then paint color/name. Made of aluminum 86 - 90,I believe most of the 91 - 92s are all fiberglass. Mostly very nice,well built trailers,and I still get 10.5 mpg towing w/2500 Dodge Ram gasser. Good luck looking,and let us know if ya buy one! Brian
Brian,the proud (2nd) owner of aluminum 1986 '32 Airstream Argosy (Squarestream) #305 Rare? It's either the Hemi Cuda of all Airstream's,or their Edsel.
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Brian, Thanks for the info. I'm trying to work up the courage to go look at the trailer! I have the '87 Argosy brochure, so I have the specs on it. They brag about a "one-piece wood floor" which made me suspect particle board. The 27' has a dry weight listed of 5100 lbs and 3500 lb axels so there is lots of excess capacity. Drapes and upholstry fabric were definately '80s colors - a little tough to take today! Darol
Old 05-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Brian, OK, I broke down and had a look. Couple disappointments: 1) wheels are 5-hole not 6 as all my extra Airstream wheels and tires, 2) water tank is NOT in the floor frame as described in the sales brochure. It hangs down between the axels like the 80's Excellas. Also, all four interior corners have "crinkles" in the vinyl. Doesn't seem to be wet (it rained again today, of course) so maybe it's just shrinkage. Floor plan is just what I wanted: side couch and crosswise double bed. And the exterior aluminum is in very good shape. Needs a good cleaning but that's to be expected. I have to decide if I can live with all the mauve colors! All the fabrics are too good to replace. Darol
Old 05-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Squarestream

Darol
I have had to reglue places in my vinyl that was crinkles and still have some.I guess that it is the way it is.I think some where there when it was made like around the door window.
I would check the floor inside the outside storage door, the doors do leak and make the floor go bad inside.
But right now the $$ are right.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Hi Darrol..I'm looking at this one too. I "need" one to tow around as my '33 is really too big for anything but a longer vacation that I usually make so I use it as a settled homebase..The '27 one I first saw that really caught my eye interest has some many good features and relative ease of use I may just have to bid a little also..but probably my better judgement will resist the urge..Good luck
Bolinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Bolinas, I passed. Too long to fit in my shop. And, I just can't persuade myself that mauve is my color! Darol
Old 11-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

I am looking at a 1987 Argosy and am wondering if the prices have gone up, down, or remain the same over the past few years on them. Thanks in advance for any insight and if I get it You can be sure I will post pictures...
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote