Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #21

1987 27' Argosy
Mitchell , Ontario
Travelux

That is a picture of my trailer. 1978 President model.
Cool, I feel like I found a long lost relative when I had none
kpaliwoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #22

Sydney , Nova Scotia
just bought one����

Hi I just became a owner of a 1960 18 foot travelux ! That's what the paper work says, its going to take plenty of work and looking forwarded to using this form. Pics soon to come!
Hugemamajama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Stirling , Ontario
Hello. My Dad was Gilbert (Gib) Waite, a Travelux dealer from 1972 through to the companies closing in 1978. As mentioned in a post above Dad did purchase much of the contents of the factory when it closed. The parts are all gone now but I have a lot of paperwork, pictures taken in the factory, decals etc.. My goal is to scan all of this information and make it available to everyone on line. I am also compiling a list of questions to ask my Mother about the company as she was right there alongside my Dad. I will make this available online as well. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the Travelux company that I can ask my Mom. I'll make everything available as soon as I can.
My husband and I recently purchased a 1970 Travelux and will be starting work on it in the spring.
Traveluxkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:31 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Greenwich , New York
Hey Traveluxkid! As the owner of a 1973 20' Travelux, I'd be interested in seeing the items you might have. I've been on the hunt for one of the glossy brochures.People are very interested in my trailer at vintage rallies and a brochure would go a long way in explaining the company and trailer. I would also love to see a picture of your trailer when you get a chance. Here's mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03106.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	362.1 KB
ID:	254392  
Travelux 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:30 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
London , Ontario
Traveluxkid,
Great to see your on here and looking forward to knowing more about the Travelux Trailers. We have a 1979 21' mid bath model and have only heard of one other one.
1975 Argosy 20 mh
1979 Travelux 21' Snowbird
Evalu8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Salisbury , New Brunswick
Welcome to the forums. I'm in the process of restoring my 1973 Travelux 29' President Elite.

The floor has been removed from the front to the side door at this point. I just removed 265 lbs of Oak hardwood from it, so it's on a major diet. The amount of mouse nests and seed hulls under the front floor probably added another 50 lbs or so.
2012 Surveyor 29'
gehrhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Stirling , Ontario
Travelux – Gilbert Waite Collection

Thank you for asking to see a picture of our 1970 Travelux and I will share one on this link as soon as she’s not covered in snow anymore. In the meantime I have been busy scanning all of my Father’s Travelux related documents (as mentioned in a post above) to share with everyone. I’m starting a new thread for this entitled Travelux – Gilbert Waite Collection. It can be found in the Vintage Kin section. I hope everyone finds it interesting.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...on-145497.html
Traveluxkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Gatineau , Quebec
It just occurred to me that if your mom was the one that recommended the hamper in the bathroom, mine should then be older than 1972... As mine has an hamper along the back wall aside from the toilet.
Juliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #29

St-agapit , Quebec
Hi everyone i am the new owner of not one but two travelux....there is one who had no interior i was planning to redo it all and put it on the road but i did found an other one who has all the original interior .
So the empty one will be use as a spare room at my summer house and the other one is a retirement project.

Name:	IMG_20170503_155940_579.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	288171Click image for larger version

Name:	1498420637483.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	288172Click image for larger version

Name:	1498420665797.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	288173
Backdraft64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:35 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Gatineau , Quebec
Electrical engineer call

First, thanks for the reply I got. It was useful. As you know, the frame is being sandblasted, repaired and repainted. News axles are being installed. The floor insulation and plywood has been ordered. The next steps will be to wire the external lights and brakes under the floor. The mechanics is suggesting to run a rv wire, split it for the brakes, install a connection box and then run the wire to the front. I am hesitant as I think that the brake wires should be separate from the other wires. Won't they be connecting to a little control panel in the car rather than the car to trailer lights switch? Any views on this?
Old 07-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
sault ste marie , Ontario
dont do it

your "mechanic" is not correct. your brake wire needs to be separate from other wiring as you believe! you should have a 7 pin connector for this trailer, running lights, ground, hot (for battery charging if you wish), electric brake, left signal, right signal, and auxiliary. those connection locations are an industry standard.
i realize this is an old post i am replying to, and hope your trailer plug was correctly wired, and you got a new mechanic!!!
travelux1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:50 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Gatineau , Quebec
Very timely

You are very timely as my frame spent the winter separated from the shell. I am in the process of building gantries to flip the frame over. My August mission is to insulate the floor and out the belly pan on. Unfortunately, the mecani ci stalled a connection box with the brake wiring connected to the big seven wires wire. I am not too sure what to do with that...now that the big tail has been split (it costed me a fortune)... :-(
Old 07-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
your trailer plug wiring juliec

if you have separated body from frame, then a junction or connection box for the wiring is a good idea. just make sure that the blue wire for the electric brakes goes to the brakes on the trailer ONLY, and to nothing else. when you step on the brake pedal, electric current is applied to the trailer brakes through the brake controller which is mounted, usually, on or under the dash of the tow vehicle. i will try to attach the std 7 pin wiring information here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Awesome-10-Of-7-Way-Wiring-Diagram-Instruction-Ideas-7_way_car.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	317847  
Old 07-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Gatineau , Quebec
Thank you!

This is very useful information and much appreciated.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #35
Mrfixit

Vintage Kin Owner
Bathurst , New Brunswick
1971 23' restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliec View Post
This is very useful information and much appreciated.
hi, from new brunswick. Purchased my trailer in 2013 and am almost complete. Did everything ,but a body of, restoration. 5 yr project only in the summer. Travelux is more like an Avion. 13 piece whale tail, end pieces are the clue. Installed a grey tank during resto . Relocated the fridge to the rear and went to 2 door model. Front cupboard still has a window a/c that slides out when at the campground. Have lots of pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20160828_001.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	319609  
mrfixit51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:13 AM   #36
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit51 View Post
hi, from new brunswick. Purchased my trailer in 2013 and am almost complete. Did everything ,but a body of, restoration. 5 yr project only in the summer. Travelux is more like an Avion. 13 piece whale tail, end pieces are the clue. Installed a grey tank during resto . Relocated the fridge to the rear and went to 2 door model. Front cupboard still has a window a/c that slides out when at the campground. Have lots of pics

That is a beautiful Travelux! Sounds like you have had some summers filled with LOTS of work, and you must have some very decent fabricating skills?

I would love to see pictures! Have I missed a restoration thread?

(PM sent)
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:13 AM   #37
Mrfixit

Vintage Kin Owner
Bathurst , New Brunswick
1971 23' restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
That is a beautiful Travelux! Sounds like you have had some summers filled with LOTS of work, and you must have some very decent fabricating skills?

I would love to see pictures! Have I missed a restoration thread?

(PM sent)
No, i have never done a restoration thread, but i do have pics all along the process. if you are having problems in a particular area of a resto, i can show you what i have done to either fix or change something. All the original interior wood was removed. There is only one piece of wood in the walls and that is a piece of plywood for attaching the dinette up front. The rest is furniture and floor. i removed everything and made new cupboards and bunk beds. There is a smell to old wood that is hard to remove. The doors in particular were part cardboard, for lightness, so they smelt like old books. These trailers don't show leaks because the leak runs down the aluminum skin inside and ends up on the floor ,rotting it out under the carpet. You must spend significant money to do what i have done. Restos can become money pits, so be careful. I spent over 15k with the purchase( no Labour),but that is for a 47 yr old trailer, good for at least another 47. It has to be a labour of love, because doing it right, costs$. And you will never see that money back. Did it for my children and grand girls (4). Chime me when you are in an area of your resto that you need ideas. cheers
Old 08-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
you installed a grey tank? i assume at the very end, in between frame rails? what size (dimensions) and how did you support it? that is a lot of weight. how did you "p" trap the shower base? right now we are using a portable tank for grey when we camp, and it is a pain to always be arranging for emptying it.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #39
Mrfixit

Vintage Kin Owner
Bathurst , New Brunswick
1971 23' restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelux1969 View Post
you installed a grey tank? i assume at the very end, in between frame rails? what size (dimensions) and how did you support it? that is a lot of weight. how did you "p" trap the shower base? right now we are using a portable tank for grey when we camp, and it is a pain to always be arranging for emptying it.
Hi, If your trailer is like ours, the grey water was open straight out to the ground. Can't do that today. The rear area from the wheel wells,must have the floor removed. chances are the frame is also rotten. That is when i strenghtened it ,and installed a custom tank. Just remember your channel is 5" so have to work around this thickness. There is a line running thru the frame so i used this for the tank drain on the top half of the tank and hooked the shower trap to it. The shower drain and the 1/2" drain line are the only 2 items below my belly pan. so at a campground with WS i leave the grey open all the time. When ordering a tank your have to give the vendor a pic of your requirements ,sizes and outlets.Then they are custom made. I enclosed my tank in 3/4 plywood and it sits between the steel channels. The channel i used for all repairs is not the formed channel that they used when built . I used the forged type channel ,much stronger, but heavier. You have to get down and dirty for this install. You have to plan the tank size and redo the frame to accommodate the plumbing layout. Sorry about the honesty, i scratched my head a few times. There is know one who has ever done such a fit and had all the details given for their exact fit. Custom made is the reality of these restos. That's what makes this, labour with passion. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3548.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	319935   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3551.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	319936  

Name:	IMG_20180815_133554.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	319937   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180815_133619.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	319938  

Old 11-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #40

london , Ontario
Hello. I am new to this forum and seen your post. I have a 1978 Travelux and am looking for more info on this gem. You stated you would be able to provide some????? Please. It would be appreciated
Lamadda56 is offline   Reply With Quote