Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Photography
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2015, 05:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
10-4 on the glass. Bodies are darn near disposable depending on ones mindset. I abide by the buy once cry once view when buying lenses. So far, no regrets.

Dan
Absolutely... spend the money for the best glass and you can be getting amazing results from the lenses almost forever.

Since I began my journey with micro 4/3, six years ago, I've had, perhaps, seven bodies, three of which I still have. Nothing wrong with the ones that I've sold... it's just that with each new generation of bodies (once or twice a year, per body "type") they just keep getting better and with cooler new features. They have essentially become computers that you can attach lenses to.

In the m4/3 system, current production bodies are available in an amazing variety of sizes and types. Ranging from the tiny GM5, to the GF7, G7, GX8, up to the GH4 in the Lumix line. And in the Olympus line-up, from the very small EPL-7 to EP-5, to EM10, EM5 and up to the big EM1.

Whether you want very small and pocketable, pro-featured DSLR-style, or something in-between, there is a m4/3 body to meet your needs.

And the system of lenses offered by Panasonic (Lumix), Olympus, Sigma, Voitlander, etc. is fabulous:
Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

It's a great, and mature, system, greatly helped by being supported by Panasonic AND Olympus. Having two major companies developing interchangeable bodies and lenses, for the same system, is pretty awesome!

The Fuji APSC system is becoming more mature of late. They have a nice range of excellent quality lenses available, though still falling far short of the wide range of what is offered in the m4/3 system.

Other newer mirrorless ILC systems (Sony, Samsung) also have some great offerings, but they are larger and heavier (due to sensor size requirements), and their systems are comparatively thin on "native" lens offerings. Over time, however, hopefully they too should become quite well "fleshed-out" with a wide variety of high quality lenses offerings.

There is pretty much something for everyone on the camera market these days.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:00 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kuna , Idaho
I'm very happy with my Fuji X100T. Small size, great color. No lenses to lug around. Perfect for worldwide travel.
flyncloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Longmont , Colorado
Love my Fuji XT-1. Lightweight, and so versatile. I have given up shooting in RAW with this camera, and absolutely LOVE it. The new firmware updates that have been recent are great..and Fuji really seems to listen to its customers. I do not miss my Canon gear and lenses...I did keep my 24-70L and a basic Canon body for a back up.
SunniStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #24
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunniStream View Post
Love my Fuji XT-1. Lightweight, and so versatile. I have given up shooting in RAW with this camera, and absolutely LOVE it. The new firmware updates that have been recent are great..and Fuji really seems to listen to its customers. I do not miss my Canon gear and lenses...I did keep my 24-70L and a basic Canon body for a back up.
This is what I keep hearing.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:02 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Sony Alpha 7 II with 35mm prime lens

I'm very happy with my Sony Alpha 7 II and 35mm Zeiss prime lens. It has 5-axis stabilization in the body so it stabilizes any lens you put on it. I have found it will take any picture I can see with fantastic rendition of the subtleties. The 35mm lens choice matches human field-of-view pretty closely, and it's very compact. I decided to buy a better camera just because I was sick of shutter lag, and in the process I found that Sony has quietly leap-frogged to the front of the field.
Ivy Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
First let me say thank you for your initial thread. I enjoyed reading it and also enjoyed looking at your pictures. However I am now at the stage where I want compact and no longer want to bring cameras when I travel. I have been been predominantly relying on a small camcorder and my iPhone 6+ which I would like to add a snap on lens for our trip overseas. So I was wondering if you hd any recoomendations as to which snap on lesns to purchase.

Thanks
John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
First let me say thank you for your initial thread. I enjoyed reading it and also enjoyed looking at your pictures. However I am now at the stage where I want compact and no longer want to bring cameras when I travel. I have been been predominantly relying on a small camcorder and my iPhone 6+ which I would like to add a snap on lens for our trip overseas. So I was wondering if you hd any recoomendations as to which snap on lesns to purchase.

Thanks
John
Hi John... thanks for your appreciative comments.

My knowledge of snap on lenses for iPhones is so little as to be of no value. If I were you, I would get into some extensive internet searching, as I'm sure there is a huge amount of very useful info out there to be found.

If and when you become equipped with a snap on lens, please let us know how it works for you!
Old 08-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thank you for your response. I have looked on the web and of course found many options some very inexpensive to rather expensive. The two that seem to receive the best reviews are the olloclips and the Ipro lens system by Schneider Optics. Olloclips is about 70 dollars and the Ipro is about 229 dollars.

I have no experience with either brand so I am not sure which is the best. I will be using them in Europe on a river cruise in November and then in Budapest for about a week and also when Airstreaming.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:03 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Interesting thread and already some very good advise...
My advise will actually be very simple....
The VERY BEST camera you can have is the one you carry with you all the time. It actually that simple. You can have the best camera money can buy but if it's sitting on a shelf someplace it's of no value.

In my case, I have been fortunate enough to have photography take me to some of the furthest reaches of our globe. The downside to this type of work is the amount of gear you need to pack to ensure your able to get the shots the trip demands. In my case that meant dragging 17 Pelican cases full of gear. Everything from underwater hand or remote rigs, to aerial rigs to a couple complete sets of fast lens and several pro bodies. When your on an ice flow in the High Arctic there is no camera shops and FedX does not deliver... So if you need a 600mm lens to get your bear shots you better have two of them as the first one could be out of service really easily...... Mind you that why they invented Duck Tape......lol

So when the the mirrorless system began to show up in the market. I was thrilled to see the super high quality images these little systems could produce. It's amazing what you can product in such a small little package.

In my case I still pack around DLSR kit that has a permanent spot under the bed in my AS. But my go to camera for the last couple years has been full frame Sony RX1. This is not a camera for everyone but for me it's been great.

So in closing remember that camera gear is just that "gear" if it's not in your hand when opportunity knocks. All the gear in the world will not help you. So the very best camera you can have is the one you have in your hand

Cheers
Doug

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1440370879.647427.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	246167

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Good advice, Doug. The same goes for what firearm to carry, as well.

The RX1 is such an awesome camera... I only wish it had a zoom lens on it.

But then again, I guess that's sort of what the A7RII would do for me. I tend to shoot more wider angle stuff than long. The A7RII with the 16-35mm zoom is really calling my name. Not a very small, nor light-weight camera, but the output is stunning and that focal length range just lights me up!

Still, I find the output of m4/3, when used with the best quality m4/3 lenses, to be stunning as well, though not as suitable for VERY large wall prints. And the gear is much smaller, lighter, and less costly. A Lumix GX7 or GX8 with Lumix 7-14 (14-28mm equivalent) or Olympus 9-18 lens (18-36mm equivalent) makes a pretty sweet set-up... with a 60mm f/2.8 macro in the pocket, to compliment.

This is why so many of us decide to have multiple camera systems!
Old 08-23-2015, 06:46 PM   #31
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Doug beat me to the only line of truth about cameras. It's the one you have in your hand when you need the shot. Books have been printed shot with an iPhone. Television commercials and some portions of sitcoms have been filmed with iPhones.

Bottom line, a well recognized photographer once said (paraphrasing) it isn't the camera stupid. It's the art, the eye, the knowledge of the photographer that makes great photos.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Sandy , Oregon
Camera for Travel

Hello, I an avid travel photographer and travel the SW/NW. I have the 5D Mk lll and several lenses for serious photos.
I bought the Canon 7D Mll with a 18/135 mm zoom(just for fun), and use a 70/200 zoom f4. this combination is great. I use the 7D Mk ll with the new 100/400 and that's an outstanding combination for wildlife. Of course that's not cheap nor a small package.
The only caution I can say about the mirror less cameras, is be careful when changing lenses, as dust can get on the sensor, there's no protection to keep out dust.
carlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlose View Post
The only caution I can say about the mirror less cameras, is be careful when changing lenses, as dust can get on the sensor, there's no protection to keep out dust.
carlose... your caution about taking care to keep dust out of the camera body applies to ALL interchangeable lens cameras, including all DSLRs like Canon and Nikon, etc. Dust can get on the sensor of any of them. If the photographer is quick and careful when changing lenses there is little to fear. Most ICL cameras these days also have sensor vibratory features to shake dust off.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:09 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
So often, I grab a great photo with my cell phone because as Doug said, my DSLR is not with me!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:03 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm leaving for an oversees trip soon and had planned on lugging my old Canon T2i and a few lens's along as I've done the past several years, when you got me thinking. I do dislike touring around town and carrying that big camera, its heavy, awkward, and makes a more obvious tourist than I already am. The DSLR is fine for car camping and auto touring.

Researching the micro 4/3 they appear to be very capable replacements for a DSLR, at about the same costs. Like the SLR's the $$$'s are in the lens collection.

Not yet ready to give up my older SRL gear what do you think of this camera, the Sony RX-100 IV? It's tiny, but it appears to be capable of some great detail. The first negative is the cost, but the plus is its small portable size. Someone said earlier, the best camera is the one you have.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
I was asked about camera recommendations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post

Not yet ready to give up my older SRL gear what do you think of this camera, the Sony RX-100 IV? It's tiny, but it appears to be capable of some great detail. The first negative is the cost, but the plus is its small portable size. Someone said earlier, the best camera is the one you have.

The RX100 is a very capable camera. I have recommended it in the past with a high degree of satisfaction.
Good luck
Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Agreed... the RX100 is among the very top choices in cameras of its type.

dpreview.com is an excellent resource to find reviews on cameras. You should stop in there to read about it.

Also, check out the Lumix LX100, my favorite always-have-at-hand-in-my-manbag camera. It's a sweet little camera, indeed, and provides fantastic image quality.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:54 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyncloud View Post
I'm very happy with my Fuji X100T. Small size, great color. No lenses to lug around. Perfect for worldwide travel.
This is what I usually reach for when going to take photos. I have had plenty Canon EOS DSLR's Leica M's, Canon FD's, Panasonic 4/3's, etc., but I love the quality and portability of the X100. It has a fast, fixed 35mm equivalent lens and the same sensor size as the crop frame Canon DSLR's. Oh, did I say it is portable?
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:51 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
The Fuji X100T is a great camera, indeed... particularly for those content with the fixed focal length.

For a lot of folks, however, the fixed focal length is more limiting than some are comfortable with... many people want a zoom lens to provide both a wider and a longer range of focal lengths.

For someone who is exploring what camera to buy... this is a choice you will need to make... will you be content with:

-a camera having a fixed focal length prime lens,

-a camera with a built-in zoom lens

-a camera with the ability to mount a variety of zoom and prime lens

There is nothing inherently wrong with any of these choices. Some people prefer the restraint of a permanent single focal length and others prefer the versatility of a zoom or interchangeable lens camera.

Which kind of photographer are you?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:58 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
The Fuji X100T is a great camera, indeed... particularly for those content with the fixed focal length.

For a lot of folks, however, the fixed focal length is more limiting than some are comfortable with... many people want a zoom lens to provide both a wider and a longer range of focal lengths.

For someone who is exploring what camera to buy... this is a choice you will need to make... will you be content with:

-a camera having a fixed focal length prime lens,

-a camera with a built-in zoom lens

-a camera with the ability to mount a variety of zoom and prime lens

There is nothing inherently wrong with any of these choices. Some people prefer the restraint of a permanent single focal length and others prefer the versatility of a zoom or interchangeable lens camera.

Which kind of photographer are you?
Good points - it is exactly the type of photographer. There are always trade offs. Fixed lenses don't zoom and zoom lenses are bulkier and generally slower. i like to do landscapes, low light candids and street photography so the fixed is what I usually grab. Doing bird photography means hauling out the Dslr and big lens. It is nice to have both. The 4/3 is a good compromise for one who wants a do it all camera. It is relatively small and can handle a variety of lenses. Plus, with an adapter it can use vintage lenses (like my old Canon FD's) and get great shots.
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote