Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Camera Recommendations.

My camera has bit the dust and I need a new one. I used to teach photograph, but now I am more interested in simplicity that photo-techno-geek stuff. I don't need multiple lenses or video. I do need a camera that has some creative capacity but is also simple enough for my wife to use. I would like a camera with decent resolution and a fair amount of zoom. Oh yeah, one that won't bankrupt my gas money.

Suggestions?
Prices?

PS. I have discovered a Murphy's Law Collorary. The more expensive is my stuff the more likely I am to bust it or loose it.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Nikon 1 series. Plenty of options, and room for future growth.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I really like my Olympus PEN E-PL2. You can find new ones around $300 with a midrange zoom kit lens without working too hard.

It works very well as a point-and-shoot, and has lots of control available to an experienced user as well. It's my first ever camera without a viewfinder (thought you can buy an electronic viewfinder option for half the price of the camera. *cough* )

Personally for point-shoot stuff I use the phone, it's always in my pocket, my current phone takes decent snapshots. I bought the E-PL2 as my first "real" digital camera when I realized my previous phone took better pictures than my last digital compact camera... the current phone is better still. I've always liked Olympus, my last film camera was an OM-2S.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I love my all of my Canon cameras and can't say enough about them.
However my son purchased a Lumix that is very nice indeed. I like the photos it produces. Plus it's shock proof, dust proof, water proof and freeze proof. Maybe wife proof? Amazon has them for 305.99 Did I mention it comes in silver. Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 14.1 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 4.6x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 2.7-Inch LCD (Silver): Camera & Photo Good luck on your quest for captured light.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
There are several good books available from Amazon on using an iPhone and apps. My iPhone 5 takes great photos and I can email them instantly or send them in a text message. And, I don't have to worry whether the battery is charged!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Look for a used Nikon D300 or D300s. Clean, and with moderate shutter count. They are rated for 150,000 clicks. A 35mm lens will appear like a 'normal' (50mm) lens would on a 35mm film camera. You can use the old AI-S lenses if you like manual focus. The camera has great ergonomics, easy controls and menu. Well sealed, built with a magnesium frame. Used, I am seeing them go for around $500.

This is what I would call a Prosumer level camera. Not flagship level, but still pro.

The D300 was the wildlife camera of the year about 2009. They are still used widely, even though they are dated. Here's an example...

Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I use Nikon DSLRs (a D70 and a D7000), and I love them.

But, when I don't want to lug that, we have a Canon SX130is (now up to 150 or 160). This is a GREAT little camera, and it can handle probably 95% of the situations my DSLRs can. We've done low-light photography with it, sports photography, and just general picture-taking. Only downside is that it chews on batteries, but I'm told the lithium batteries work much better in it (we haven't tried them yet). They run ~$200.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
I have the Pentax WG-II and am very happy with it. Best feature is that it is waterproof to to m 933ft) dust proof, crush proof, shock proof, 5x optical zoom would be a dream if it was 10x optical has an optional gps. etc. Menus for different conditions. Includes auto pictures where settings are done for best pix for conditions.

My DW lost her digital camera to high humidity, this one takes care of that.

Best feature I like is the lens assembly does not move forward when powering up nor the little shutters that jam.

I have others like the Cannon DSLR and a Sony, but the WGII I carry everywhere.

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Great suggestions. I assume that you're talking about a DSLR and not some a point-and-shoot option.

Just had my 1st-gen DSLR out yesterday to do some cleaning. It's a Pentax K100D, and I still like it a lot. It's got a tiny cloudy spot on the sensor (where I sneezed while changing a lens once ), but the spot only shows on sky-including shots and is easy to work around in the editor.

If mine should die someday, I'll probably choose another Pentax -- if for no other reasons than that I have a very good zoom lens and that I've been shooting Pentax for the last 40 years, starting with a workhorse K1000.

Lynn
Old 02-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
I assume that you're talking about a DSLR and not some a point-and-shoot option.
I've been shooting Pentax for the last 40 years, starting with a workhorse K1000.

Lynn
I am not ruling out either a DSLR or a point and shoot.

I had a K1000 and before that a Pentax Spotmatic SLR.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Just a correction. The Pentax Optio WG-II is water proof to 10m (33ft) and is a point n shoot type. This is my third one, the others gave to my kids and DW.

The big problem I've found was the large volume of pictures that never seem to get to be deleted.

Steve
Old 02-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Ah, you know, my wife's little point/shoot Rikoh isn't a bad little camera, but she complains that she'd like to have a viewfinder rather than the screen at the back for shooting.

Rikoh, by the way, is now the parent company of Pentax Imaging, which was spun off from the main company a couple of years ago. (The main company concentrates on large medical equipment, evidently.)

Lynn
Old 02-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by is.chowa View Post

My DW lost her digital camera to high humidity

Steve
I lost one to humidity too. My grandson fell into the Snake River. I jumped in after him and then figured out my point and shoot was in my pocket.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
My Cannon EOS does shoot thru a viewfinder but I prefer the back screen to compose the shot. Can't put it in my shirt pocket tho'.

The older Sony CybershotDSC-F828 is great with a 10x optical Carl Zeiss lens. Can't stick it in my pocket neither.

Steve